“A Wonderful Stay!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
Riverdale, New York
“A Wonderful Stay!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

This review is a little late but La Concha deserves the review. I stayed at La Concha in 2012 with 3 other females to celebrate a birthday. We had a wonderful stay. The hotel was quite stunning. The room was very modern and a good size with a queen bed and a full size pull out sofa. The living room TV area was a great space to chill out and relax. The bathroom was quite interesting with the shower on one end and toilet on the other yet privately closed off. The pool area was quite large- get there early to get a chair! Service at the pool for drinks and food was excellent. The staff was amazing! Many thanks to Vladimir and Felix Perez for their great smiles and hospitality!! There are many local restaurants in the area with great food. The casino was fun as well. I will definitely go back!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank IRGNYC

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,288)
  • Polish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

Sitting here on the upper pool deck enjoying my second piña colada after just finishing a delicious skirt steak wrap. really enjoying the free wifi. There is even wifi on the beach so I could FaceTime and brag to my friends back home. Haha

The infinity pools on the beach are a highlight. Everything is beautiful and looks just like the website.

Get an oceanfront room 4th floor or higher. We slept at night with the door open to listen to the waves.

Walking distance to tons of funbars and restaurants. Very chic, well heeled crowd at night, though I wish there was dancing.

My one gripe is that they don't police too well the people who sneak in to enjoy the property during the day. As a result, choice spots by the pool canbe hard to come by. They should use wristbands like the other high-end properties do.

Also I have to mention how friendly and informative the concierge is. We consulted them every time we walked out the door and they always had great suggestions.

This hotel is as nice as ones that cost 2x as much.

Spa across the street (Euforia) is pretty good.

Room Tip: Oceanfront above 4th floor. We enjoyed our deluxe room
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ginger B
Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at La Concha during a recent business trip. Due to my schedule I didn't get to see the pool areas or dine at restaurants. My interactions with the hotel were limited to the rooms and lobby so I'll stick to those.

The lobby is nice and modern, the space is very open and it flows nicely. White dominates the color scheme and the overall tone is casual/trendy.

The hotel has two towers. I stayed in the "far" one, not sure what's the official name, it just seemed to be away from the main areas.

The first thing that hit me was a musty and humid smell when I got to my room, it felt like it had been locked for months without any ventilation. I contacted the front desk to request a room change. The request was promptly honored but the second room smelled the same. I suppose it could be attributed to the age of the property and the fact that is located by the ocean.

My room was a suite, something typical of the Renaissance brand. The suites have a seating area by the entrance with a living room, dining area and small kitchen. A large bathroom divides the space between the living room and the bedroom. The bedroom is average size with a king size bed and a desk.

Overall the hotel is a nice property but it shows it's age, it has clearly been renovated but the wear and tear occasionally manage to bubble up despite all the facelifts.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Jonathan F
Juneau, Alaska
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013

My trip to Puerto Rico so far has been wonderful - except for the fact that La Concha didn't have availability for the entire duration :(

I used Hotwire to compare some of the hotels and found a great rate for La Concha on a Friday night, so the booking process was easy.

Upon arrival, I took a cab to the hotel.... everything said I should have paid only $15, however I was the only guy in the van so I felt a bit bad and didn't argue when he asked for $20. Upon arrival, there was a handful of bellmen ready to assist/help. The lobby isn't your basic lobby - especially at night - it appeared to be a full blown night club, lights, music, and lots and LOTS of beautiful people. Check-in was separated by some art-deco partitions so it was a bit hard to hear the gentleman checking me in, but it was quick & efficient. He pointed me to the proper elevators by walking with me for about 20-30 feet - nice touch, sorta like how Ritz Carlton takes you TO your room and some upscales are now escorting you to the elevator.

the grounds, at night, were perfectly lit with nice hues of blue and a changing cascade @ the front of the hotel (which I saw during our landing!). A walk down the hallway had reflections of the colors from outside and was very nice.

Entry to the room was another nice surprise.. the rooms are very nicely decorated, and I liked the smoked glass separating the bathroom from the hall. Everything was very modern in the room, ranging from the tv with sound system, ipod alarm clock, light switches were adjustable for intensity, and the bathroom - holy .. I enjoyed it! Reminded me of the LeMeridien in Dubai - fairly large shower, which also had blue backlighting in it - multiple shower heads and plenty of hooks to hang robes/towels. The bathroom was also very modern and enjoyed the colors; I had plenty of towels for only having a kingsize bed, and right outside was a nice coffee maker & fridge.

Bed was really comfortable with about 6 pillows, plenty of tv channels, and the wifi worked well.

Apparently I had some very very loud college kids next to me (kinda early for spring break), but amazingly I could not hear them between the walls... I only heard them because I went out on the balcony. So +1 for La Concha - I'm glad someone figured this out. There's nothing more annoying than hearing the room next to you enjoying some physical activities or partying while trying to sleep!

The bars were well staffed with bilingual staff, and the charges are about what I expected.... didn't try the food but heard it was to die for. The adult-only pool was great, and had secure access to the beach below (however the beach chairs were all at the other end of the resort). This hotel really did the exterior seating very well - lots of bars/restaurants but you didn't have to be a patron to enjoy some of the chaises/loungers (some hotels require you buy something just to sit.. ugh!) The other pool areas were nice - but get crowded quickly.

checkout was efficient and the hotel gladly watched my items while I went to the beach to continue my rum poisoning and read a book :)

This is definitely a hoppin place in San Juan. For a hotel of this size, though, I'd expect the grounds to be a bit larger. There are plenty of restaurants and bars nearby, and the casino is one of the better ones in San Juan. Parking is a bit pricy, but secure. You really don't need a car if San Juan is your destination - there is plenty within walking distance.

Room Tip: If they offer an upgrade, pay it and do it!!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank DiverDown79
CT
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013

Let me start by saying that I never get excited about hotels. La Concha has changed it! We enjoyed every minute of our stay there.

La Concha is a very chic and modern hotel located in a great part of Condado (just 15 minutes away from San Juan). There are plenty of bars and restaurants around. We booked an ocean front junior suite which was very spacious and had a fantastic view of the ocean. The room did not have a balcony but we liked the sliding doors a lot. Some of the furniture shows a bit of wear and tear but the room is beautifully and functionally appointed. I loved the huge closets! The hotel beach is very nice and we also enjoyed both infinity pools. There were always plenty of beach chairs, umbrellas and towels available. The pool restaurant serves great drinks and we had a couple of drinks on the beach too. We had a tasty breakfast buffet at Voga. All positives!

However, what makes this hotel truly unique is the most amazing and helpful staff. Felix greeted us with a big smile, Frankie made the check in a great experience, Caesar (a security guard) told us about the hotel amenities, nearby restaurants and always made sure we are having a great time. Every single person we encountered had an amazing attitude and seemed to genuinely care. A big thank you for making our time at La Concha so memorable!

We enjoyed our stay so much that I've changed our vacation plans and we will be soon spending a week in La Concha instead of going to Hawaii. Because La Concha did not have rooms available for our entire stay, we decided to stay at El Convento for two days and then move to La Concha. The inconvenience of changing hotels is well worth it. We can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Definitely ask for a higher floor. Rooms in the ocean tower don't have balconies but the views a...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tangrinka
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013

The run down - overall probably four and half stars, details:

Room - it's a Renaissance room, well-appointed typical of what you would expect. I had an ocean view room w/o a balcony - it was a really nice view. Just an fyi, the window actually fully opens almost to give you access like a balcony. Not a big deal but if you have kids you might want to take note.

Business - this hotel is a good location for business. In the middle of the city and unlike the Ritz near the airport, there are decent places to eat and drink nearby so you are not confined to the hotel. The wireless worked perfectly and was included. . Other nice feature – it is open air, given the weather – it is rather nice.

Grounds - really nice, it is beach front and the pool facilities were top notch. There is a fitness center that is pretty good - there are plenty machines as well as a studio.

Location - Perfect, like i mentioned you are in the middle of the city. There is shopping nearby, restaurants across the street. You are about a 10 minute drive to the airport – with no traffic. So if you are confined to the city it is a good place, you sacrifice a two minute drive to the airport (if you have stayed at the Ritz) but given the location and the options it is well worth it. Also, there is a decent jogging route on the road the hotel is on – safe and well populated.

Restaurants/Bars – this was the nice feature of this hotel. The food here was terrific and the hotel bar was not depressing. Food wise they did have numerous options. The lunch I had there at the pool restaurant was genuinely good and about half the price of something similar at the Ritz. The breakfast – it was typical Marriott buffet. They did have a sushi bar and an Italian restaurant I did not try.

Overall the place was great. I probably would not stay there with kids – not that it is not appropriate – it is just geared a little more towards adults. Ie I would not hesitate to stay there w/ kids – just wouldn’t be my first choice. It is a great business hotel or weekend away place – especially if you are looking for more to do than just lay on the beach.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank FollowingtheEquator
Boston
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013

Okay, this review may be slightly bias...we stayed here after 3 days at the St Regis (which is REALLY hard to top), so right off the bat, I may be a little hard on this property
I think in the Condado your choices of newly renovated properties is pretty low. That said, this property has been recently renovated (that was the draw for my husband and I).

Overall, the grounds are great. There were at least 4 pools- with lots of seating and a great beach area that you could walk for miles.

The rooms though, well, even though they were renovated they still felt old. First, the rooms were gray- I think rule #1 in hotel decoration is to avoid gray rooms- it makes the rooms look dingy (gray walls, gray carpet). The hotel itself reminded me of a Howard Johnson from the 70’s (right down to the orange décor). I’m not a fan of the retro look/feel. It makes a property feel too dated. The other issue I had was that the bathroom had a moldy smell.

Back to the positive- they had a fantastic gym (which also offered classes). The hotel is also in a great location- next to high end shopping and good grub.

Not sure I would stay here again though…I really didn't love the rooms.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
#6 of 13 in Isla Verde
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,078 reviews
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino

Been to La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort? Share your experiences!