“Beautiful hotel, Excellent service!”

La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort
Ranked #6 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Reviewed January 8, 2013

I chose LaConcha to celebrate my daughters 15th birthday, we were 3 families with kids ages 15-22. I called the hotel and spoke with mgr Orlando Hernandez prior to our stay and he took care of everything I requested! We arrived at night to our ocean front suites, the view was amazing! You could hear the ocean when you slept. Sofa bed is small for two teenagers but they made the best of it. Service is very reponsive, brought towels/blankets within minutes of calling. Enjoyed dinner by the pool serenaded by the Coqui frogs, food was excellent especially the sushi and sliders. Relaxed at the beach and pools the next day and had a great dinner at Voga for my daughters birthday. The next day the fun really began when our tour guide Robert from Borikua tours picked us up for a day at the rainforest and night kayaking. He is very knowledgable and extremely personable! He is absolutely the BEST! We had an amazing day! The kids begged us to schedule another tour with him to explore the caves. I am so glad we did, we all had a great time together. A big thank you to Frankie the concierge for arranging everything, he went above and beyond even calling me on his day off to set everything up for us. We fell in love with PR and Robert and would definitely return to La Concha!

Room Tip: Tower suites, ocean/partial ocean view for 2 or 3 people
2  Thank mmmpierro

Reviewed January 8, 2013

I stayed at La Concha in September 2012. If you like a hotel with good design and a vibrant social feel, this is the place for you. My ocean-front room was very clean and I loved the white and blue color palette. The bed was very comfortable. The beach front and patio pools were great places to relax. The hotel bar is a popular gathering spot - it attracts hotel guests and people staying at other hotels in San Juan so there were always people to talk to. And it doesn't feel like a meat market - instead it feels upscale and friendly. The staff was great and made me feel welcome.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed January 8, 2013

We stayed at La Concha over Christmas for a few days. It was a last minute choice to head some where nice and warm for a mini vacation. We ended up booking the bedroom suite with a balcony and ocean front room. It was exactly what we wanted and asked for, the room was facing the water and you could hear the waves crashing in. The balcony was facing the parking garage of the next property, so if you pay for a balcony room make sure it faces the ocean as well - we never used it. The room was clean and super modern, we called and asked for a late check out which was no problem for them even with an fully booked place. Every time we called called the front desk every thing was their pleasure, which made you feel that they were happy you stayed with them.
I was a bit turned off when we walked in and saw the casino, however it wasn't any thing serious. One night we walked through and a few guys were sleeping on one of the blackjack tables.
This place does cater to young couples or a younger crowd, but really depends on what your looking for. At night the lobby turns into a lounge and can be loud a bit of a club. It didn't both us but for families it may.
The grounds are kept up super nice and every thing was green and blooming. We ate by the pool a few times, as people mentioned the service can be slow. However we thought the food was good and what's the rush when you have cold drinks and the view of the ocean. I did eat at the tapas place one night and it was super good, I sat at the bar by myself and the staff was super friendly in nice.
They don't have any deep pools to swim in, however the infinity pool was amazing. Could I stay at this place for a week or longer prob not. The beach isn't a very long walk and most places on the beach aren't any thing to look at. I like to run and it prob took me like 10 minutes to get to the end and back. I would stay here again esp for a long weekend.

Room Tip: Stay facing the ocean in a higher floor also make reservations early.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 8, 2013

My husband, daughter, son-in-law and I have just returned from six days in what should have been paradise. The weather was close to perfect and we had upgraded to deluxe spa suites which were directly on the ocean with large balconies in a separate wing, with a separate adults only pool. HOWEVER......the worst part was the all night loud music from a party on the floor directly below ours.....the drum beat was so loud that it felt like our room was shaking. Our telephone call to the manager/concierge was difficult since our phone was broken but we managed the complaint with our cell. We were offered half off for the night. No effort to reduce the sound at all. No apology, then or later. And it lasted until 2 am.
In addition, the service at the Italian restaurant in the hotel where we ate the first night was horrific....we waited forty minutes for our food, and then another half hour for two coffees. Although the breakfast service started out incredibly slowly it did seem to improve but only after several complaints. And we had reserved two rooms, one for us and one for them. Our kids arrived first and neither room was ready even though it was mid afternoon,....finally several hours later, they were checked into the first of the two rooms ready but the hotel couldn't handle the fact that they actually then had "our room" As a consequence, when the kids checked out the afternnon before us and attempted to move their suitcases into our room for a few hours before their flight, the hotel cancelled our room keys and so locked us out of our room. Though we solved it quickly with a very kind housekeeper, it was just one more instance of stupidity/incompetence. I should also mention that even though we put our "clean the room" signs on the door by mid morning, our room was only cleaned half the time by late afternoon. I think there is clearly a staffing shortage..And to how how completely stupid the staff is, we received a check out bill for the other room the morning before we were to leave. No amount of discussion seems to have cleared up this problem.
I think that my tolerance for incompetence is significantly reduced when I am paying close to $400 per night with room cost and resort fees and taxes added in>>>>>I would strongly suggest unless you have great love for middle of the night loud sound, you find another resort.

3  Thank Carol L. W.
Reviewed January 8, 2013

We just returned from 5 nites at La Concha. The hotel is so close to the airport it really gives you bang for your buck. So now for the good and bad. I am not the t the "drop your towel at the pool and save a chair" type, so I thought we may have trouble but to my surprise the staff is plentiful enough that they are always bringing out towels and there is absolutely no shortage and always a chair at the beach. That is really fine with us. So although the place was packed, we still always sat out at the beach.
We ate lunch at the pool every day and found the food good, and the tables had short waits.
The tuna was fresh and the usual burgers etc. We ate out every night so I will review that seperately , but to all of you who are interested, there are PLENTY of inexpensive and good places to eat right outside the hotel. Just dont bother asking the concierge. He was fine but thats all. he answered only what was asked and provided little more. Seemed very grouchy. and that is even when there was no one else around. he just gave the minimal information and that was it. The rest of the staff was much more helpful and seemed to go the extra mile. always had extra coffe in my room or shampoo or whatever. they guys with the towels and water all were very attentive. Our room was in a junior suite in the tower and was perfect for us. we are 2 adults and our teenage daughter. she had a seperate area with pull out sofa. and we had the bathroom between us. It was clean and large with a balcony overlookng the pool.
all in all it was a really nice trip. the weather could have been a bit better, but cant blame the hotel for that!!

Room Tip: The towers...
Reviewed January 8, 2013

I stayed at this hotel on Marriott points, but I researched the rates quite a bit before staying. It seems like they often overcharge for what you receive and while I wasn't charged a resort fee, it drives me nuts that they charge one.

We stayed in the new tower on the top floor with the full living room/kitchenette set-up. The room was a partial view and we thought it would be considered an ocean view (but definitely not ocean front) by most hotels.

The taxi from the airport was $15+$1 per bag. Arrival was speedy and we were checked in quickly and given an upgrade to the partial view. Originally they had us in a pool side room and while this might have been larger, I'm pretty sure it would be too noisy for me.

The decor of the room is really modern and nice with dishes and everything you need if you want to prepare some meals in room. The bathroom was spacious and while the toilet had a separate door, it was frosted glass so some would say only partly private. The bath tub was huge and actually made it a bit awkward to climb in to shower. There is no shower curtain and there is only a partial glass wall so if you're not careful, you'll get water everywhere. The bath products were Aveda which I liked.

The bedroom doesn't have a separate door, but is down a narrow hallway which has a huge closet along one side. There is an in-room safe and robes. The TV was flat screen and had most basic cable channels. There is a very large deck off the bedroom that we enjoyed with two chairs and a table outside.

We had access to the elite lounge where you could make meals out of the breakfast and heavy hors d'ouevres if you wanted to save money. The coconut cake at dessert is fabulous. There is a gorgeous private infinity pool off of this lounge, but it gets essentially zero sun so we didn't use it. They do ask for your room number and name the first couple times you enter even though a key is required. After they've seen you a couple times they no longer ask. The lounge is closed on weekends and the hotel does not provide breakfast certificates to Marriott Platinums to ensure you get the breakfast amenity during your stay; I didn't fight it.

The beach is small, but we had good service outside. Careful of the waves - there's quite a break right off the shore. We didn't interact with a lot of the other staff, but the bell desk loaned us an umbrella when it rained one afternoon and everything was pretty efficient. We did eat one meal beside the main pool and service was a bit slow, but I think our server was pretty new.

The location is great and I would stay here again, but would say it's a $200/night hotel value max. Tip: one street over and towards the beach is a place called Oceano that serves weekend brunch. It's a series of set menus and the food is great, the prices a steal and the view is absolutely spectacular.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 8, 2013

I couldn't find a lot of reviews on staying at this hotel with a baby, so hopefully this is helpful for anyone else looking in the future.

We didn't want to have to give up staying at a nice place just because we had a baby with us (our was 9 months at the time of the trip). I was a little nervous about choosing La Concha because it seems very trendy (which was also our first impression when we first walked into the lobby), but it turned out to be a great choice. We had a one bedroom ocean-view suite in the suite tower (get a high up room or you will have a view of a gross parking lot and building rooftops with a lesser view of the ocean). The suite was key for having the baby with us. At night, we would put the baby to sleep in the bedroom with a sound machine and lights out, and we could hang out and watch tv and eat dinner in the main living area. One thing to note is that access to the balcony and the bathroom require you to entire the bedroom area, but that wasn't a problem for us with the sound machine and creative lighting techniques :-) The hotel provided a pack n' play portable crib. If you go this route, you might want to bring your own portable crib sheet b/c the hotel just lays down regular bed sheets, which loose sheeting is not recommended for young babies. It was also nice having the kitchenette so we could get some snacks and water at the walgreens down the street. Other random thoughts on the hotel room: the beds and pillows are super soft and squishy (which isn't my thing, but some people like that), some rooms have tubs and some have just showers (we switched rooms and ended up with just a shower which kind of sucks with a baby but we made do), the water pressure isn't great and the towels aren't as plush as I'd expect at this caliber hotel, the AVEDA bath products were great. Room service was pretty good.

Other random notes on the rest of the hotel:
-the lobby bar makes great drinks
-the elevators can be very slow
-I observed people staking claim to pool chairs super early in the morning, but it seemed completely unnecessary
-the pools are heated -- I liked the view from the suite tower infinity pool the best.
-breakfast in the restaurant was underwhelming and expensive
-dinner at La Perla was great for atmosphere/setting, but just ok for food and wine (see my separate review) and very expensive
-I tried on two occasions to book services at the spa through the concierge. On both occasions, they took down my information and said someone would call me to confirm. Nobody called either time so I just gave up. So I couldn't tell you how the spa is, other than apparently uninterested in my business.
-some of our best customer service experiences were with the lively valet attendants!

Room Tip: If you get a partial ocean view suite in the suite tower, request a high up room or you will have a...
2  Thank traveloulou
Hotel El Convento
Hotel El Convento
#2 of 47 in San Juan
Dorado Beach, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve

Been to La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort? Share your experiences!