“Great experience overall but has it's cons.”

La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort
Ranked #5 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
Chicago
“Great experience overall but has it's cons.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013

I just got back from our stay at La Concha for four nights, including New Years Eve. I have been to San Juan earlier this year and stayed at the El San Juan Resort so I will admit that I did find myself comparing the two. Most of my comments are about all the great things about La Concha but there are a few flaws.

Starting with the good:

The staff: AWESOME. Everyone is extremely accomodating from the bar staff, to the concierge, to the beach crew, to the front desk. Everyone was extremely nice and friendly. Felix at Valet is probably one of the most unforgettable staff members there. Always remembered us every day when grabbing a cab and he has an awesome hi-five! :)

The Rooms: Very nice. Nothing bad to say here!

The ambience/scene: La Concha is definitely very swanky. Very modern and stylish, you feel like you are in a very lavish place. Most people are dressed up and look very nice but you can still walk around in shorts and flip flops if you so choose. The lobby is usually filled with people at night but I definitely prefer the lobby bar at the El San Juan because it's much larger, has live music/dancing and can be a younger crowd.

Pool/Beach: This is one of the biggest and one of the few flaws I saw with the property. I was baffled when I saw the pool/pools. First off, I can't believe there isn't a pool bar. Waiters will get you drinks by the pool but not a swim up bar. Second, I was shocked that the main pool was SOOOO small! The pool can only accomodate maybe 100 chairs and they all had towels on them as 'taken' by 9am every morning but no one was actually there. Very annoying. Third, they have three pools and TWO of them get either NO sun or no sun for part of the day! Who would have thought of such a set up? Why have pools that get no sun? Boggled my mind. And the main pool was so small that we didn't have a chance to even sit there unless we got up at 7am. Even then, the pool is so 'blah' that we preferred the beach by far when we usually prefer the pool. I am just shocked that a resort of this size and reputation would have such a horrible set up. Very disappointing in this regard.

New Years Eve Party: one of the biggest parties in the area and it was awesome! We'd love to come back next year!

Location: AWESOME. Walkable to anything you could need and a short cab to Old San Juan.

The only other complaint that I have about our stay is that the beach wait staff was not staffed enough. Every day they had one, maybe two people waiting on probably 300 chairs on the beach. We had to get up almost every day and walk the 100 yards to the bar to ask for the waiter to come over to our beach chairs so we could order food. One day we were so sick of waiting that we went to the pool restaurant and ate there instead. The waiter we did have was AMAZING and so accomodating and we felt so bad for him because you knew how hard he was working but he needed HELP. They definitely do not have enough people working the beach area to accomodate a full resort. We spend that much money to stay there, we shouldn't have to go search to find the wait staff.

All in all, we were very happy with our stay. If we go back to San Juan, we'll probably go back to the El San Juan but we'd come back to La Concha for New Years Eve!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank MF23Beach

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,307)
  • Polish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013

I vacationed at this hotel during the late summer and overall the hotel and rooms are quite up to par, however the staff and service was very disappointing. The concierge and check in desk always had long lines so it was very difficult to get answers in a timely fashion, whether calling down or going down to the desk. The biggest and most ridicoulous issue was that I was haressed by the staff in particular by a staff member by the name of Michael who worked in the Ocean Lounge. I was told that I was liar about my stay and about the guest who accompained me. He threatened myself and my sister to overcharge me for items that we did not use and that wasn't even the beginning! After I left, I thought it was all over but no the harressing actually got worse! Michael found my number and CALLED TO HARESS me about items that again I had not used. He called me 3 or 4 times saying that I was a liar and that he was going to charge my card after I had left the hotel with zero balance. I called Marriott customer service to handle the issue and they said they would alert the GM. However after checking my bank account later that day Michael charged me an additional $380!!! I had to repeatedly call customer service to have the charge removed. It was finally removed but after much headache.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Lyn H
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013

I stayed in a $600/night +$86/day resort fee, ocean view room over New Years Eve. It was fine, but overrated for the price. I'd pay $200/night, or upto $300 if you include the daily resort fee.

Lots of little things went wrong. Biggest disappointment is the misleading gorgeous picture of La Concha restaurant on the water. You never see the restaurant from the iconic view. It sits on a big rusty, windows papered shut eyesore.

New Years Eve
- Hotel guests are "invited" to the invitation-only party
- Very eclectic group of people! All ages, including kids to grandparents.
- There was never any communication about what to expect at the party. FYI - no food, no appetizers.
- There is only seating if you reserve a table, which requires a several hundred dollar drink minimum (no food)
- No champaign was passed around at midnight, although it was available for purchase.
- Music rotated between a band and DJ. They were pretty good, in the beginning of the night did a lot of older music and mashups. Turned to mostly latin by 11:30pm-2am+
- Dancing outside near pool, and a more chill environment in lobby.
- They brought in a ton of modern fun cheap furniture, had lasers and lights. There were a handful of fireworks from the roof at midnight, with a few fiery pieces falling into the crowd.
- There was no staff cleaning up during the party. All tables and ledges were full of discarded cups. Champaign ice bucks full of empty bottles and cups.
- Lots of glasses were broken, usually a guest would pick up the pieces, but there was no one cleaning up and no where to leave pieces. Lots of broken Champaign glasses because of the wind.
- As a hotel guest you could bring others in, just by flashing your keycard (hint - get a keycard if you're not staying at the hotel).
- The poolside food closes at 3pm on New Years Eve

Pros
- Clean & chic, just not outstanding. A very nice hotel remodel.
- Large ocean view widows in rooms
- Huge double story doors make for an almost open aired lobby
- Fun and peppy valet/greeters
- Great ATT & Sprint phone + data coverage
- Updated rooms with modern feel
- Directly on a nice beach, about 1/4 mile of sandy walkability. Swimming usually possible, with rough conditions (not for kids)
- Walkable to a handful of non-hotel restaurants and shops. Old town is a $15 cab ride.
- Great weather. Even on rainy days there are periods of sun.
- You can drink the water in Puerto Rico and eat fresh fruit/veggies.
- Shower has both overhead rainshower and normal shower options (no tub)

Cons (nothing huge, just higher expectations for the price)
- The wireless internet didn't work most of our two days, and was slower than cell phone data
- Had to ask 4 times and talk to a manager for "late" checkout 1pm, late by an hour
- Checkin didn't allow a single person to checkin before 4pm (we arrived at 3:50pm, then called everyone at once. Very long lines.
- It was raining on New Years Eve, and the valets only had a coupe of umbrellas to loan out.
- There was constantly a 10 minute line to speak to a concierge or front desk attendant.
- I dropped a post card and $1 at the front desk on my way to the airport. They insisted I wait for them to charge it to the room, and wouldn't let me leave.
- There is a Jazz festival for locals every sunday night with loud music, loud announcements, and crazy traffic. Cab drivers wouldn't take us back to the hotel from Old San Juan until we told them we would get out a mile away before the traffic backup.
- Didn't receive turndown service on new years eve, but did on other nights
- Hotel didn't clear room service trays for over 12 hours, leftover food just sat in the hallways.
- There is sand all over the pool areas. There is no easy way to wash feet after the beach.
- No hot tub, although the adult pool felt slightly warmer than others.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jewlesrox
Mendham, NJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013

I had never been to PR and got a recommendation to stay at La Concha by a few people. Very nice accomodations and the staff was execellent. Especially the head concierge Victor Rodriquez and a top notch waiter Carlos Alvarez. These two stood out as freindly and acommodating all week long, went out of their way to assist. Great location if you want access to the beach, pools and easy access to Old San Juan. Will be back to La Concah!

Room Tip: The Tower suites are very comfortable and the city views towards Old San Juan are as interesting as...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank tom b
Los Angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights and had a great time. The rooms were very clean and the room we stayed in had a little kitchenette with a stove, sink, toaster, etc. This was great because we got to make breakfast in the mornings prior to going out. We also got to use the adult infinity pool and the beach area. Went to the casino and bar area downstairs as well. The drinks at the bar are a little pricey but it does have a good ambiance. Overall, I'd recommend the hotel if you'd like to stay in the Condado area. Walking distance to good restaurants too.

• Stayed December 2012
Madison. WI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013

Overall the staff has been remarkable, however our New Years Eve party waiter HECTOR TORRES made our stay. He went way above and beyond to make sure we enjoyed every bit of our New Years Eve experience. Every service employee could take a lesson from him. The property is very nice (we have a tower suite) and a great location for walking, shopping and dining. Can be loud at night.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank wendykp
New Rochelle, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012

My wife and I stayed there from 12/27/2012-1/31/2012.

The good: With one serious exception (see below) employees in all categories from check-in, beach personnel, food service personnel, pool personnel, concierge, bar service personnel, etc. The breakfast buffet was top shelf, as was the poolside restaurant, and La Perla, the dinner restaurant. Service in these restaurants was great.

The bad: The hotel is very noisy. It is is not the Ritz Carlton. If you want a quiet, reserved hotel do not come here. Loud music blasts from the main lobby and invades all guest rooms way later than one would would like. There was a latin jazz festival with blasting music on the beach just below the hotel from 3:30 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. on 12/30/2013. My wife and I found the deafening, pounding, amplified music maddening.

The very bad: I was not feeling well the night of 12/27/2012 and called the front desk at 1:30 a.m. to have a doctor sent to our room, and was told by a front desk person that the cost would be $150.00. I approved the cost. However, no doctor arrived. It was a digestive problem. Thank god it wasn't a cardiac issue.

All in all, on a scale of 1 - 10, we would rate the hotel average (5-7) considering the price of the rooms. Next time we go to Puerto Rico, we will stay at the Ritz Carlton or another quiet 5 star hotel even though we love the Condado area.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
#6 of 13 in Isla Verde
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,111 reviews
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino

Been to La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort? Share your experiences!