“First trip to PR, pretty good!”

La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort
Ranked #6 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Reviewed December 8, 2012

La Concha is a solid 4 star hotel in San Juan. A positive "pretty good" sums up every aspect of the hotel. A convenient 15 minutes from the airport, and right on the beach, it's a good location. Staff levels were very good, and the staff were very friendly. Food and drinks were good. The beach was good, and the water warm, but not clear, and had plenty of weeds kicked up from the waves. Waves were just right - enough to body surf, but easy to swim in. The beach is protected by reef, so easy swimming and warm. Overall the hotel has more of a euro feel - which I think is good - lots of white marble, etc. Rooms were modern and clean. The only downside for me was that there was street noise - even on the 9th floor. I didn't want to leave the sliding door open to the ocean because there was no screen, and I was concerned about bugs from the beach. I did spend a day with collegues at Caja de Muertos - which was beautiful and incredibly relaxing. I would definitely return to this hotel, and use it as a base for a personal trip in the future. Speaking of which, when people ask me if I would go back to PR, my response is it would be a great guy's trip location, but no wow factor for a romantic trip.

Room Tip: Choose the higest floor possible for the least street noise.
1  Thank trustorytraveler

Reviewed December 8, 2012

This hotel was not for me but I recognize that, depending on what one is looking for, it could be a good choice for others. The public areas of the hotel had neon lights and a sort of Vegas feel which is not what I expected or wanted. That said, the guest rooms were modern, clean and comfortable with a great ocean view (but no balcony which sort of surprised me). My room seemed to be missing a dresser as there were no drawers for my clothes, the wifi was at times spotty and the on demand movie system wasn't working. The service at the hotel was excellent, including room service which was very reliable -- something which I really appreciate. I was there on a short business trip so didn't have the opportunity to spend time at the pool or the beach.

Reviewed December 8, 2012 via mobile

After reading tons of amazing reviews on La Concha, I had pretty high expectations for my pre cruise stay. Unfortunately, the hotel disappointed at almost every turn. The service was fine, but nothing great.

We paid to have a one bedroom suite in the Ocean Tower. The 'queen' size beds could barely qualify as such, and do not fit two adults. The beds are hard as a rock and our linens were dirty. If you are going to pay to be in this tower, might as well spend a few dollars more for an ocean view. The city view has you looking at a parking lot and garbage with some mountains in the distance.

The pools are small but fine and the beach in this area is just eh. I wouldn't go out of my way to recommend this hotel to others. There are so many choices.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed December 8, 2012

I've been to La Concha on past business trips, this time around I didn't enjoy it. Rooms are big, maybe good for a family, but i was facing the street in front of the hotel it was loud, people screaming at all hours of the night. Food on the property is just ridiculous. I had a cafe Latte at the Lobby bar and they Charged my $5.50. Staff is very friendly and there is a party atmosphere in the main lobby. Might work well with some people. Also finished my 3 night stay with tick sized bites on my legs...

the staff are friendly, but unresponsive. waited almost 30 min to replace the Iron which was defective. The few times I dialed the front test, on time they didn't even answer.

On the good side... The internet was free.

As a business traveler, I wouldn't recommend this Hotel, there are other Hotels in the Area better suited.

Room Tip: Make sure you request a room on the Pool side of the property.
1  Thank aquaman0601
Rafael02, General Manager at La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your hotel experience with us. Please accept our sincere apologies as the outdoor noise was a discomfort during your stay. As we respond to our guests concerns, we are excited to share with you that we began installing a noise reduction double-sided balcony glass door to all the Suites facing the Ashford Avenue.
We appreciate your additional comments and observations of which we will share with our management team.
I would like to welcome the opportunity to have you give us another chance to provide you with the genuine care and commitment we are known for.

I look forward to personally meet you in the near future and welcome you to La Concha for an unforgettable experience.

Please do not hesitate to contact me to assist you with any arrangements you may inquire.

Saludos,

Luis R. Rivera
lrivera@laconcharesort.com

Reviewed December 7, 2012

We travelled to San Juan over Thanksgiving 2012 for seven days. Our suite, thanks to Orlando, Hotel Manager, was perfect. High floor corner suite. Clean, spacious and up-to-date. Our Thanksgivng evening was spent at their top notch restaurant, Perla, exquisite. Unfortunately the food in the various remaining restaurants was truly forgettable. But with that said, I find the food in Puerto Rico very poor at best, including The Intercontinental. The grounds of La Cocha are lovely, as was the beach. The staff on every level really try to make you feel that you are on a vacation. We would consider coming back.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ashleywyatt
Reviewed December 7, 2012

My family vacationed here last winter break. We stayed in a newly renovated tower suite, on the 8th floor, overlooking the pool, with a peekaboo view of the beach, between 2 buildings. We had a wrap around balcony that faced both the pool and the beach side, with table and chairs on each. There was no noise at all, overnight, on this floor. This tower offers rooms around the perimeter and a view of an inside courtyard with seating on the 3rd or 4th floor--visually pleasing! The room was beautifully appointed, and very spacious. Walking in from the entrance, there was a couch (pull out) on the left, a few feet of wall followed by a kitchenette along the right wall, and a round table with banquette seating (and 2 mod plastic curved chairs) after the couch in the far left corner. There were also 2 soft hassock seats that could be used for seating or for putting your feet up...all color coordinated in black, white and lime green. Next was the super modern bathroom with glass blocks on the left, closet on right, and into the bedroom-equally well appointed-and the balconies. This is all well and good, but the reason we enjoyed our stay so much, and the reason we are returning for winter vacation, is the staff. Everyone we came in contact with was happy to be there, and happy to serve their guests. It started with Raquel Rosa in reservations, who understood our needs and gave us a great room. When we arrived, we were greeted with small shot glasses filled with a delicious drink--don't remember what it was, but there was one for adults with liquor and one for kids. I just remember it was great!

The physical plant is gorgeous--beautiful white marble throughout--the lobby is hopping, there were live bands on occasion, the lobby decor was festive and in the holiday spirit. Louise Grallau, concierge extraordinaire, was able to get us dinner reservations on very short notice when our plans changed, even though the city was booked to capacity. Concierge Victor was also helpful and responsive...and always smiling! Our pool staff, Vladimir Busto and Omar Hernandez and Brock were so nice, they couldn't do enough for us, really. By the second day, they had already recognized us and often greeted my husband I by name! It was tough to find chairs & lounges every day, but pool manager Fremiot went the extra mile to move things around, and again, did his utmost best to help. Food & drink by the pool was expensive, but to be expected. The three burger/sausage sliders were spicy & great. We hit the beach, too, but the water was rough. La Perla for dinner was superb-my husband's favorite restaurant of the week. I liked Jam Rum the best. And try Jibarito in Old San Juan for lunch...very authentic, not expensive. Informal, cafeteria style. We rented a car at Enterprise, 2 blocks away, and visited El Yunque. We hiked the 2 mile path, and ended up at the waterfall, where everyone went in and had a blast. Don't miss the surijitos (sweet & yummy corn sticks) at Muralla, the food stand on the right as you enter.. cheap and delicious.

We had 2 housekeepers, and both were sweet and happy (one was Idelia). The guys at the front had unbounding energy getting taxis for all the guests. We had difficulty with one of the tours we booked, and after our return from the tour, we told Louise what happened. She was shocked, and apologized. We left the next day, and after writing the General Manager, our account was credited. The General Manager has hired the right people, because they are very service oriented. All in all, we had a wonderful time, and the service was EXCELLENT.
We will return!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank PortFamilyTravels
Reviewed December 6, 2012 via mobile

Everything was amazing about La Concha Resort San Juan. From the service to the rooms to the pools and view. We won't stay anywhere else now! We had an issue where we came back to our room last night and there was a leek in the bathroom and they immediately upgraded and moved us to another room. The staff where extremely happy and helpful from the guys helping you out of your cars to the pool boys, waiters, reception and service attendants. This hotel really helped make our trip wonderful!

• Stayed: July 2012