“Amazing! Trendy, Hip, Chic, Sexy”

La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort
Ranked #6 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Reviewed July 10, 2011

My partner and I checked in on July 4-8th 2011. We have no negative comments to say about this hotel. The valet guys are super. Hector the valet/bellman always greeted us with a smile and made us feel welcomed. The Front Desk was excellent. Kristina and Hector the Front Desk team was helpful and knowledgeable and were always willing to help. My partner and I reserved an ocean view King Size bed and it was amazing. The beds were comfy and the shower was spacious. Our room came with a mini ref. and a sofa. The only complaint I will have is that there is a an adult only pool and I spotted non-adults in this pool. The sushi joint inside was great along with the hotel lobby bar. This hotel earns an A. Trendy, chic, hip and reminded me a lot of the Standard Hotel in Downtown Los Angeles but better. There is always something going on in the hotel lobby from music to live tango dancers. This hotel is connected to a Casino with slots and tables. Kinda of pricy but worth it. It comes with a full size gym that offers Zumba and Spinning class to free personal training sessions. This hotel is located in the upcale area of Condando and there is a lot of police so it made us feel safe.

Room Tip: Ask for high floors with an ocean view
3  Thank EL_GQ
There are newer reviews for La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort

Reviewed July 10, 2011

My husband and I stayed in an ocean suite room (hot tub on the balcony) and were looking for a nice, relaxing vacation to celebrate our honeymoon and upcoming life changes.

In our experience, this is not the place to do so.

We requested early Check-in (we arrived at 2:00-2:15ish), and despite my husband's status as a platinum member, we were told we could not check in. Fine--these things happen--but certainly not a good start to our trip. The check-in attendant suggested we walk around and see the area.

Exiting the front of the hotel and making a right, there is one block of somewhat high-end shopping (e.g. Cartier and the likes). Go past that block and there is a store where you can stock up on your own liquor/food and, since we had a kitchenette, we opted to do just that. We came back around 3:30 and, much to our surprise, the room was still not complete. They have a guaranteed check-in time of 4; they were done at 3:58.

Since we didn't want to wait further, we asked if we could just have our bags instead of waiting for the bellhop to bring them up. We were told they would be brought to us. After waiting another 20 minutes, my husband asked where they were and was told "Oh they're outside with the bellhop." My husband went outside, got them, and we went up to the room.

At this point we've been waiting for two hours, but we finally enter the room. The room we were given was a corner room, which led to our initial excitement that finally everything was remedied and we could get this show on the road. We went out onto the balcony and, lo-and-behold, our corner faced the ocean in the front and a very questionable building to the side. It looked like an extremely run-down apartment, with a vacant construction lot to the side. Given our desire to enjoy the balcony's hot tub, this was not an optimal environment. We go inside, my husband requests a change in room, and I begin noticing some issues in the room: there are red stains on the comforter, black spots in the shower, mold spores on the ceiling (along with a dingy smell of mold), even minor things like typos in the menus and such. My husband complained to the manager, and he gave my husband Marriott points (really, we have more than enough of those) and worked on changed the room.

An hour later, the room was changed and the manager came over with us to make sure it was acceptable, and it would have been...if it weren't for the smell of smoke in the room. Now, Marriotts are smoke-free facilities, so there should not have been a smokey smell. The manager seemed to not notice it, until we went on the balcony and noticed cigarette burns in the lounge furniture. Granted, the manager was angered by this and would have to fine the previous customers, and this is certainly not his fault. But the fact of the matter is that my husband is sensitive to the smell of smoke. This made it difficult to enjoy the room. Upon stating so, the manager brought room service over to spray the room down. They (1) barely spoke English, so we couldn't ask them anything, and (2) were unable to rid the room of the smell, instead only masking the odor in perfumes.

The hot tub--the key reason we wanted that room--had very, very limited instructions that did not explain where the valve to plug it in was located (in a hidden corner behind the tub). Ergo, to our foolish belief, we thought the tub would plug itself or somesuch, which it did not. We called maintenance to help us figure out what to do, which is when we learned of the valve. Also, the digital system on the tub did not work (but note that the instructions discussed using the system to check temperature), so we called maintenance again. He explained that none of the digital aspects of the tub worked in any of the rooms. As such, we were unable to check the temperature. By 9:30 or so, we finally had the tub ready to go.

During the tubbing situation, we went to the lounge for gold/platinum guests, which was nice. It was relatively large, had an array of options, an honor bar, and the employees were kind. The TV was a bit blurred though and perhaps should be replaced.

We ended up only staying one night, leaving to go to a different hotel in the US Virgin Islands. Yes, once the kinks were worked out, the people were amiable, but it was more of a "paying-for-what-its-worth" situation; for the amount we were paying on this vacation (and given my husband's platinum status), we shouldn't have had to go through what we went through. Additionally, the beach area had some vagrants sleeping and walking around on the beach area--it just wasn't comfortable and it didn't make me feel safe. Leaving this hotel was one of the best decisions we made.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Aalynia
ArroyoA, Manager at La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2011

Dear Guest,

Your feedback regarding your recent vacation with us is really appreciated. I deeply regret these incidents and I am obviously disappointed with the outcome of your stay. I will certainly address these issues with my staff and make sure that corrective actions are put in place. The events that you encountered during your stay are in no way a reflection of our habitual service and commitment to every single one of our guests. If your future plans ever bring you back to Puerto Rico, please give me the opportunity to show you our true hospitality.
Once again, thank you.
Alfredo Arroyo
aarroyo@laconcharesort.com

Reviewed July 8, 2011

I recently surprised my boyfriend with a trip to La Concha for his birthday (6/26 to 7/1). We saw La Concha last year and knew that next time we visited San Juan, that would be where we would stay. The lobby looked so cool and they had just added a new tower. I’ve never written a review before, but after our recent stay, I decided to do so.

The moment we got out of the cab at La Concha, we received a very warm welcome. The lobby is gorgeous -- so sleek, bright and modern. Check-in was a breeze. We were in our ocean front room in the Suite Tower within minutes. The room was perfect; separate living room/dining/kitchenette area and bedroom - nice size, very clean and modern with plenty of storage. A nearly full-size refrigerator was a plus also, not to mention the two large flat screen televisions. The bathroom was great; the shower was so nice, with an overhead rain shower --- very sexy too --- with it’s frosted glass walls which separate the shower from the bedroom. The bed was very comfortable. When we were in the room, we probably spent more time on the great balcony over looking the ocean than in the room itself. A nice touch was the cheese/fruit tray that was sent to our room since we were there for a special occasion.

The lay-out of the resort is very good for its size. Very nice atmosphere with beautiful palm trees and tropical plants. There are 3 pools, two which overlook the beach, with plenty of lounge chairs. The pools are not large, but big enough to cool off in. There are also many comfortable areas outside just to relax and enjoy a drink or food. Servers come around frequently to take your food or beverage order, even on the beach. The drinks were great and the food delicious. We found the prices about the same that you’d pay at any nice resort. The food and service at Solera is very good -- really enjoyed the burgers, the Latin sliders and the tapas after 6 p.m. Vladimir and the others waiters/waitresses took great care of us! Dinner was delicious at Voga, as was the outstanding service we received from Rushtid! Breakfast was also very good - omelettes made to order, and anything else you could want for breakfast. Or you could get a light breakfast at the Lobby Bar in the morning. Cocktails at the Lobby Bar were great! Arianna is very sweet and makes a perfect Mojito!

The employees are so nice and courteous, and always smiling and ready to assist you with whatever you may need. The resort is beautiful, well-maintained and in a very convenient area. Decent casino too. We felt safe walking on Ashford Avenue, even in the evening. Very convenient to restaurants and stores. The beach is really nice too with chairs and umbrellas provided for guests. We’ve been to San Juan a number of times in the past, so we know that the ocean isn‘t as calm as on other islands, but it was actually a bit calmer than usual. We had a great time and would highly recommend this resort. Five nights were not enough for us. We didn’t experience any of the negative things that other reviewers have written about. A vacation is what you make it! Special thanks to Mr. Arroyo and Mr. Santiago who saved the evening of my boyfriend’s birthday for us! They do a great job at running the resort -- and it’s nice that they are always nearby ensuring things are running well. Loved it! We’ll definitely return.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank beachluvrNJ
Reviewed July 8, 2011

We stayed at La Concha at the tail end of our trip after exploring the island. We figured we'd drop off the rental car at the airport and take a cab to our final destination in the city. The cost of the cab is published in the airport: $15 plus $1 per bag. It held true.

We don't usually do fancy hotels, but I thought it would be a perfect end to the trip. Boy was I right! This hotel was quite luxurious and it was nice to be treated like royalty. From the second we got off the cab, the bellhop (do they call them bellhops anymore?) took our bags and led us to check-in. We were able to check in early and after refusing an upgrade ($$$), we were given the upgrade anyway (for free). We had one of two suites on one side of the building with a balcony overlooking the beach. It was the most beautiful room I've ever stayed in.

The beach was really nice and the towel and lounge service was great. It isn't an ideal beach for swimming too far, as the currents are rough, but it was good enough to lounge and enjoy. The pools and other facilities were very nice as well. Loved the relaxing infinity pool (the side that doesn't allow children) and liked that I was able to print out our boarding passes in the business area.

Hotel is close to great restaurants and Old San Juan. Skip the $15 cab ride to Old San Juan and ask the conciere how to catch the bus. It's only 75 cents and quite safe.

Hotel is pricey, as one would expect, but well worth it for a couple days. Otherwise, rent a car and explore the real island!

2  Thank aalamo
Reviewed July 7, 2011

We stayed at this hotel July 2-5, 2011. My husband and I had never been to Puerto Rico and wanted to stay close to San Juan, but still be on the beach. We narrowed it down to two and based on our past stays with Renaissance hotels and TripAdvisor chose this one.

It was a $20 cab ride (including tip) from the airport. The lobby is very pretty--all white with touches of red and orange. Very modern. The check in process was easy. Our room was not ready, but they gave us two complimentary drinks and called when our room was ready. The hotel stored our bags and delivered them to our room. This wasn't a problem since we were starving. There are dozens of great restaurants walking distance from the hotel. Another reason we decided on the La Concha.

Our room was very nice. Beautiful furnishings and an amazing view. The bathroom was large with plenty of storage. There was not a dresser or drawers, which was interesting since we brought shorts and t-shirts. But there was a shelf in the closet that worked. We stayed in room 811 and had a great view.

The undertow is extremely strong here and the beaches are not sandy white--that is just part of Puerto Rico.

We never had a problem with the neighborhood. Yes there were panhandlers, but we ignored them and they never bothered us. We were there for the weekend of the 4th and there was always a large police presence. In fact we did the three mile walk (during the day) from La Concha to Old San Juan and never felt unsafe.

The lobby bar on Saturday is a happening place! Very lively and loud. But once in our room we didn’t really hear the noise over the ocean. On Monday there was a band at the plaza next to the hotel that we could hear in our room. But they stopped playing by 7:00 pm.

It is a $15 cab ride to Old San Juan, which I thought was a little high, but the fares are regulated.

Our only problem:
Before going up to our room, we stopped at the lobby bar to have a drink. This was probably our only complaint about the hotel. The service at the bar was not great. The bartender looked right at us and then walked away. Finally, after five or six minutes she came over to help us. We were two of twelve people there. This wouldn’t have been a big deal if she was helping another customer, but she wasn’t .

Bottom Line:
I would stay here again. The location is fantastic. The neighborhood is convenient and safe for a large city. I am always concerned about the safety of hotels and never felt unsafe here. It is great for a relaxing weekend and group trip. But we arrive places and try to embrace the local culture and fare and not fight it. The front desk, beach attendants, concierge and bell hops were amazing! They all deserve huge kudos.

We chose this hotel in part because of the reviews--so this is as objective of a review as I can give and has information I look for.

Room Tip: We book through Marriott and got a lower rate by being a Marriott Rewards member than any travel sit...
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank kyleandcrystal
Reviewed July 7, 2011

I just arrived from a fourth of July - all girls getaway. I loved the hotel and the staff were absolutely wonderful! From the moment we arrived from the airport, they took care of everything. They upgraded us to an ocean room view. We relaxed in the lobby sipping drinks and eating tapas while my luggage was delivered to my room. They have 4 pools and each one is fabulous. There is the infinity pool that overlooks the ocean and this is the adults only pool. You have quick and easy access to the beach. The beach is wonderful, but the guys who pull out the chairs and put up your umbrellas seem like they would rather be doing another job. I tipped $5.00 just for putting out my chair and umbrella. The housekeeping staff was very attentive as well. We asked for extra washcloths and towels because we showered at least twice a day from the beach and humidity. They were more than accomodating. The tapas bar in the lounge and Solera on the beach and pool were my favorite restaurants. My friends enjoyed the sushi from the sushi spot! One thing we can all agree on is that La Perla was a waste of money. We all enjoy 5 star dining, but this wasn't it. We ordered the chef's four course tasting. Therisotto was horrible. It was crunchy and we were told that it was al dente. I don't think I've ever eaten crunchy rice. The service at this restaurant was so unbelieveably slow. Don't waste your money there. Also try, Jam Rum Bar & Bistro for great food and drinks. Pelayo is also a great spot for breakfast with the best food at $10 or less. It's about a 5 minute walk from the hotel.

Room Tip: Get an ocean view room. It's worth it!
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank mskeeinmd
Reviewed July 5, 2011

We stayed here for the long 4th of July weekend. Our flight was delayed for 3+ hours on Friday night and we did not check into the hotel until 3AM...no problem at all. The lobby was still very lively and check in was a breeze. The room was very nice. It had a small refrigerator and it was very clean. The entire hotel is very well kept. I've read many complaints about the shower, it did not bother me at all. I enjoyed the dual shower heads, they both worked well and the shower was spacious.

We were very hungry when we arrived so we went up to the room, showered and went out to get something to eat. Easily found food close by at this hour. After, we stopped by the casino and got back to our room after 6AM. The bed is the most comfortable bed I've slept on at a hotel and the pillows are heavenly!! The view from our room was gorgeous but I missed having a balcony. We had an end unit which did not even have any balcony at all and that was a disappointment. Although, I liked that the large window opened up and I could hear the ocean, just not the same as sitting out on your balcony. We had lunch by the pool at Solera and it was delicious...so was the Sangria and White Lace cocktail :) We spent the day at the adult pool and security did great with not allowing any kids in. This spot of the hotel was very quiet as were many other spots. The property is very large, yet you can find plenty of areas to be alone or be within a crowd if you want, I liked that a lot. Pools were small for such a large resort but we never had a problem getting chairs. For me, the beach is nothing to write home about as it looks like most NY beaches just with a prettier atmosphere, but I expected this and didn't go for the beach. The hotel staff was always very friendly and helpful. It can get noisy at night, we had a party going on outside our room door one night...early morning actually. I didn't complain to anyone about it. There was another door behind the main room door, so I closed it and that took care of the noise problem. No matter what time we got back to our hotel there was always activity in the pools and the lobby, very lively hotel. We had dinner at Latin Roots in Old San Juan and they had live music and very good food.

We had breakfast at Voga and it was very good but not enough. I had Eggs Benedict made with crab cakes and it was supposed to have avocado as well but they didn't have any (??) - it was still excellent but I did leave hungry. We had dinner at Latin Roots in Old San Juan and they had live music and very good food but ran out of Pernil by the time we arrived :( We had lunch across the street from La Concha at Angel Cafe or Cafe Angel (not sure) it was very good Puerto Rican food. Had EXCELLENT Shrimp Mofungo here!!

I have to say the absolute BEST meal we had was at Casa Lola - I will be craving that steak for a very long time...the Ropa Vieja Empanadas were soooooooo good and so was the cheese flan. The service by our waiter Juan Carlos was fantastic and the restaurant itself is very pretty with a great atmosphere.

We would definitely return to La Concha for a quick getaway again.

3  Thank trizi01
Hotel El Convento
#2 of 47 in San Juan
Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel & Casino
The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort, Puerto Rico

Been to La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort? Share your experiences!