2,321 results
All reviews tacos butler service west tower biltmore suite greeted with champagne tequila restaurant replenished daily beautiful hotel puerto rico infinity pool turn down service ocean view old san juan five star hotel one bedroom suite the ritz carlton pool staff
Reviewed June 5, 2018 via mobile

I flew in on Wednesday. I had a beautiful room with two queen beds for my wife and I and two kids. I planned on moving on to St Thomas Friday but decided to stay after checking for vacancies at the front desk. I'd have to move into a room without a seaside view as they were booked for the weekend but no problem....until I moved. The new room had one bed. I spoke to the manager at the desk (with the slicked back hair like Tony Montana's friend in Scarface) and suddenly, I realized that I was African American again. Did someone say African Americans eat their young? Apparently, something happened to them because they didn't think twice about stuffing me into a single bed room after I spent three days in a two bed room. I had to ask him to call me if something with two beds opened up like he was doing me a favor. A theoretical I'm sorry would have to do because I was not getting a verbal or any suggestion of a sofa bed, cot, rollaway, teepee, sleeping bag or anything else. With my ears burning, I managed to bond with my family as we enjoyed the beautiful hotel. That incident caused the homme noir to pay attention to how the doormen and valets went running to cater to the others but not the brother. I must admit my credit card got fair and equal treatment as they charged me for everything. Did I say everything? I meant to say EVERYTHING. I remember a Bugs Bunny cartoon where they charged for city tax, state tax, federal tax, thumb tacks, that's how it is there. I ordered a pumpkin steak meal for $25. I got a thin slice of pumpkin maybe 4"x5" with a few bean sprouts and a cream sauce that sat low in the bowl. I asked for some bread and discovered that they charged me $4 for it. Same with room service. $92 for oatmeal and fruit cups. They will nickel and dime you to bleed you for everything they can.

Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank Samuel D
Efrain R, Manager at Condado Vanderbilt Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 8, 2018

Mr. Samuel D,

Thank you for your favorable rating of our property. I am glad that you liked the hotel. I am sorry that you felt discriminated against. We do not believe nor tolerate discrimination against anyone and I regret that you left with a wrong impression. Please feel free to contact me at your convenience as I would like to have a conversation with you and hopefully bring you back to our hotel.
Hope to hear from you soon.

Reviewed June 3, 2018 via mobile

We travel a lot and have stayed in many places — in the US, Europe, and the Carribean — but would be hard-pressed to think of any hotel (or any 4 days) that have been more perfect as a vacation than the last 4 days we spent at the Condado Vanderbilt. A gorgeous site, an historic hotel in perfect harmony with its 1919 heritage, and a level of service that is beyond the best you can expect - the level of detail in care the staff exhibits, consistently throughout the day. Enrique, Nahomi (sp?), and Juan Carlos (so many more whose names we don’t have) at poolside to Carolina at the spa, and housekeeping and front desk service - all friendly and just superb. They seem to love their job, are Always willing to take time to stop and talk no matter
How busy hey are — and take such pride in their work - their enthusiasm is contagious. Such a pleasure to be around. We’ve stayed in other locations in Puerto Rico - but this will now be our PR 2nd Home. We’ll be back next year!

Date of stay: June 2018
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
28  Thank Landon H
Reviewed June 2, 2018 via mobile

I stayed here for 3 nights last week. Good location and great views of the ocean. Service was good and room was small, but nicely detailed. My only gripe is the cost! I understand that hotels are limited due to damage from last year's hurricane, but $17 for a drink and no less that $220/night for a small room? Good thing my company is picking up the tab because otherwise I would have had a heart attack. If you have a bottomless wallet then go for it. Not to mention no self parking so they get you for that too.

Trip type: Traveled on business
3  Thank Hernan1971
Efrain R, Manager at Condado Vanderbilt Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2018

Mr. Hernan P,

Thank you for your review. I am glad that you enjoyed the location, ocean view, service and room decor. Thank you as well for your comments on pricing. Every guest comment is important to us. I hope that you have an opportunity to visit us again in the near future.

Hotel Manger

Reviewed May 27, 2018 via mobile

Lovely old style glamor and very helpful staff are the hallmark of this rejuvenated gem of a hotel.

I have stayed at the Vanderbilt twice. Once in an ocreanfront tower suite and once in an oceanfront king in the original hotel building.

While the old building has been updated and the rooms have lovely furnishings - they have one small window. The Towers were built with the view in mind and have large windows, sliders and balconies to really enjoy the oceanfront location.

The public spaces are upscale and the pools are very nice (although a little small). Be aware that the oceanfront deck can be very windy and plan accordingly!

Date of stay: May 2018
Trip type: Traveled with family
2  Thank GSVMaryland
Efrain R, Manager at Condado Vanderbilt Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 1, 2018

Dear Nicolewindsor,

Thank you for your positive review and for returning for a second stay. Glad you were able to enjoy the hotel and amenities. Hope to have you again with us soon.

Reviewed May 26, 2018 via mobile

Let’s start with the good: clean and spacious rooms, nice and resilient staff considering what the island has been through. Now the less good: beach small, pool area as well, gets very crowded. Now the bad: the prices are outraging for the value. If I can understand a 300 dollars night (taxes included) for a room with that alleged level of service, then all has to be aligned in terms of quality. Which is not. Food is bad, and ridiculously (RIDICULOUSLY) expensive. I felt ripped off every single time I had to ask for anything in that hotel. Room service for a fruit salad and a bad hot chocolate? 40 dollars! I didn’t pay that much at the Ritz or at others 5 stars hotel with even higher room rates. An oily chicken salad at their Tacos restaurant? 40 dollars. I mean, no. Just, no. And the Spa!!! Oh my god! Hundred dollars for a massage! A protein bar at the hotel shop? 8 dollars! I won’t come back, I am sorry guys but this is a major scam. I was there for 24h and didn’t have the time to explore other options outside the hotel. So unless you are ready to stay there, and make sure to have nothing to purchase in this place, not even a coffee, fine. But otherwise be ready to pay a fortune for a few days. In a nutshell: room prices of the RITZ, higher prices for everything else and lower quality. Not acceptable.

Date of stay: May 2018
2  Thank VaaaldL
Efrain R, Manager at Condado Vanderbilt Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2018

Dear Val M,

I am sorry that our hotel pricing in both room rates and F&B was not to your liking. Our pricing in room rates fluctuates depending on room occupancy. On days that room requests in the island is in low demand, hotel rates are more competitive depending on how many rooms they have to sell and whether the hotel will be able to sell every room in their inventory. That is why sometimes a higher category hotel has a lower rate than usual or vice versa, you will find a lower category hotel at a higher price than expected. Thankfully our hotel occupancy is usually very high thanks to our return guests who always come back and stay with us again and again.

Please feel free to contact me if you have the time to discuss your experience and provide more detailed information. I always welcome our guest comments as most of the changes we make in the hotel are due to our guests suggestions and constructive comments.