“Something different”
Review of Cocina Abierta

Cocina Abierta
Reserve with OpenTable
Cocina Abierta is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #14 of 1,025 Restaurants in San Juan
Cuisines: International, Fusion
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Established in 2010. We are an interactive culinary environment. At our restaurant we create and interpret the culinary ideas inspired from different cultures, products, and techniques. Our always evolving menu is a result of the interaction and interchange of different experiences. An open kitchen, eclectic and without limitations. Because cooking is our passion. Historically cooking evolved through the interaction and exchange of cultures. Through this premise and advances in technology our project, Cocina Abierta, was born, designed for the sharing and development for our passion.
Carolina, Puerto Rico
“Something different”
Reviewed July 12, 2014

We went yesterday for the first time, the whole place was reserved so we sat at the bar( we didn't mind, the bartenders were very customer service oriented and answered all our questions about the menu and drinks)the only thing I didn't like was that I had to drink and eat with my purse on my legs (not enough chairs or stools). The food was expensive but not over priced, we had the pumpkin soup (full of flavor and spices). The sangria was very different tasted like champagne with berries and was a really refreshing change from the usual sangrias.The salmon was well cooked, unfortunately my skirt steak came out full of blood and I had to complain so while they cook it again I ate my gnocchi (really good) without the meat and when they brought back the meat was burned and I couldn't appreciate the flavor, I didn't wanted to complain again so we just finished eating and left. For us sadly this was one of those places were you can just say been there done that and we don't need to go back. My recommendation if you are thinking on visiting the restaurant make a reservation :).

• Visited July 2014
Claudia S, Guest Relations Manager at Cocina Abierta, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
Thank you very much for your feedback online. We apologize for the inconveniences.... surely not our intent. The gnocchi are one of our favorites too! We recommend trying our desserts next time! Hope to see you soon!

New York
“A Must Go”
Reviewed July 7, 2014

After searching for top restaurants in San Juan, I came across Cocina Abierta, where you could just tell by the front picture and their menu that we were in for a treat. The restaurant itself is gorgeous, very well designed and provides the perfect environment to go with either a date, your friends or family. The food and drinks were great, especially the gnocchi and the duck confit mofongo. The staff was very welcoming and helpful. A big shout out to our server Nicole!

• Visited July 2014
Claudia S, Guest Relations Manager at Cocina Abierta, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
Thank you very much for your feedback online! We’re so happy to hear that you loved the food, especially our gnocchi and duck confit mofongo. We will be sure to share your feedback with Nicole! We look forward to seeing you again on your next trip to Puerto Rico!
San Juan, Puerto Rico
“The vegetarian menu is spectacular!!!!!!”
Reviewed July 3, 2014

Cocina Abierta is not a vegetarian restaurant, but after the insistence of vegetarian guests like me, they've included in their new menu at their new Condado location a vegetarian menu. This menu includes dishes exclusive only in this section of their menu, but also, vegetarianized versions of other dishes... so the diners don't have to "do the math" of how to request a dish to make it suitable for our vegetarian diet.

I had the Baby Arugula Salad... and I was left wanting more. The almond-filled dates give this salad an nice unique touch. I also had the Eggplant "mignon" over a bed of curried couscous. This is Indian cuisine for the Western palate... it was delicious, authentic without the spices being over powering. But the star of the evening was the Ricotta Gnocchi with a Blue Cheese Sauce and Arugula... OMG!!!!! We were pacing ourselves while we ate it because we did not want the flavors and experience to end!!!!! Masterful dish... something I will certainly order again and again and again.

For dessert, we had 2 gelatos - the salted caramel and strawberry. The salted caramel was superb!!!! And that would be a sole reason to just return to the dessert bar. It transported me to the salted caramel ice creams of Paris. It is that good and so much more.

I am definitely returning to Cocina Abierta... and I will bring more of my vegetarian friends with me. I was captivated... for sure. Gracias Martin...

• Visited June 2014
Claudia S, Guest Relations Manager at Cocina Abierta, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
Hi!
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experiences online. We’re so happy you enjoyed our variety of choices in the vegetarian menu; we love veggies! We look forward to seeing you again soon!
“A pleasant surprise!”
Reviewed July 2, 2014 via mobile

We decide to check Cocina Abierta after some friends recommended it. We could tell by glancing at their menu that we were in for a different culinary experience. Our friendly waiter explained how to best order from the menu, which consists of small portions of many mouthwatering selections. We ended up ordering about 8-10 dishes including Arugula salad, Creamy Onion Soup, Petit Beef Wellington, and Langoustines with Ink Squid Risotto. Every dish was delicious, and the presentation was excellent. We finished with three desserts, one chocolate, one carrot cake, and a creme brûlée to die for. The ambiance was great and the staff was very friendly. Our only issue was that it was warm and stuffy. They acknowledged that they need to work on their A/C setup in order to provide a cooler environment. In all, we were very satisfied. We'll come back.

Visited July 2014
Claudia S, Guest Relations Manager at Cocina Abierta, responded to this review, July 3, 2014
Thank you very much for your feedback online. We’re so happy that you enjoyed your dinner, specially your desserts; our pastry chef is very passionate about her job! We already worked on that particular situation; the A/C system is better than ever! We look forward to seeing you again soon!
San Juan, Puerto Rico
“Fabulous Food and Service!”
Reviewed June 26, 2014

I was impressed with the food and the service at Cocina Abierta. The food at this restaurant can be compare with the food at Laurel or at Marmalade but at a much better price. I highly recommend Cocina Abierta!

• Visited June 2014
Claudia S, Guest Relations Manager at Cocina Abierta, responded to this review, June 30, 2014
Hi Jorge!
We love reading reviews like yours! Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experiences online. We would love to hear from you again soon!