“Old San Juan!!!!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #27 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
New York City, New York
“Old San Juan!!!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2014

I had three nights at DA House. My room was in the middle of the hotel and couldn't hear any noise at all. I had no sleeping problems. AC worked great.
I never spend much time in a hotel room as I like to get out and about.
The staff were all friendly. I would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
5 Thank Dos Reis R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
NYC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2014

I stayed at Da House in late March 2014. Before I stayed at Da House I read the comments on trip advisor. Some were favorable and others were not. I decided to take a chance on staying there for two nights. First when you enter the hotel the lobby is unlike any other I seen. The space is hared with a vendor who sells jewelry, clothes etc. You have to walk forward to the rear of of the lobby and then you reach the reception of Da House. The staff was very helpful. They gave me directions on reaching certain sightseeing points and what restaurants to eat at. They even suggested to take a plane to Vieques instead of a ferry. The provided me with the phone # to the airline. The only thing missing was an elevator. I was on the third floor so my journey to the upper floors burned a lot of calories. Other reviewers mentioned nosie from the nightclub in the evening. Since my room faced the front I had no problem sleeping. The room provides the bare necessities though I had a tought time manuvering in the bathroom which is very small. The bed was decent and the A/C worked. I was content with Da House. When I left for Vieques I forgot my leather jacket in my room. I contacted Da House from Vieques and they held it for me when I returned to pick it up before I departed for the mainland. Incredible hardworking, honest staff. If I ever visit Old San Juan again I will definitely stay at Da House!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
4 Thank laguna68
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2014

A few things prevent this from being a five star hotel in my experience. There are no elevators. Our room wasn't ready when we arrived and we had to wait almost two hours. Our room wasn't ready because the shower or hot water heater was broken. Eventually it was fixed. There is also a salsa club next door that plays music into the night, but we were warned about that. I was so tired anyway that I slept right through the music. I wish there had been an option for food inside the hotel, atleast drinks and snacks. Breakfast would have been nice too. Otherwise, loved all the art in the walls, and the old world charm. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: I liked having a room overlooking the atrium.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank natalka523
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2014

I've stayed in OSJ on three separate occasions and am easy to please when it comes to my expectations of accommodations; I have never been unhappy, always thrilled. BUT-this last minute decision was the best. The rooftop hot tub overlooking OSJ stole any future reservation. The rooms are unique, each interesting, though some could be considered pared-down without a look around. Perfect location, unless you book a room on the 'party' side and wish for a p.m. bedtime-big deal club/music venue downstairs; I didn't mind the noise, one of the two rooms we stayed in offered this experience, and is OSJ wishfully typical :) Prices were fair and hopefully will say so!

Room Tip: Perfect location, unless you book a room on the 'party' side and wish for a p.m. bedtime - d...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank explorepossibilities
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2014

Out of a full week stay in Puerto Rico, Da House was by far my favorite hotel. Very unique and charming with excellent service! If you are the type of person who hates a brand new, standard boring hotel, Da House is for you! The entire place has so much character from the worn wooden accents to the mismatched tiles and funky original art. The staff are quick to help you with anything you need and make great recommendations. Perfect location, too.

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank hsquiers
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2014

The staff was very friendly and helpful. Checked in well after mid night and it was smooth. Great location in the heart of Old San Juan so everything is walkable. Roof top is awesome to chill and have drinks. Unfortunately the hot tube was broke.
Loud. If you sleep light or turn in early do not stay here. There is a party everywhere in OSJ and it goes late.
Rooms were average. Could use some tlc but this wasn't the Ritz so it had character.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mickey W
New Orleans
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2014

I have to say - the location is excellent. You can walk everywhere in Old San Juan from there. However, a room for 2 people was fine in size, but we had one towel. We had to ask multiple times for extra towels and washcloths. There is no elevator. I had a very large suitcase and that was a pain moving that. Then (to no fault of the hotel) there was a main water pipe break in Old San Juan. We were asked to move rooms and then lied to about the water situation. First we were told we had enough water for a day and a half. Then another staff member told us maybe a few more hours. I just don't like being lied to. We got a refund for the extra days, rented a car and drove to another part of the island. We had a room already booked for when we were flying out. It was disgusting. And I am pretty sure there was blood on the desk in the room. the shower was filthy. there was hair everywhere. I do not think I would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends