“Boutique Experience”

Ranked #26 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Columbia, MD
“Boutique Experience”
Reviewed January 7, 2014

Stayed at this quaint and all around lovely hotel situated very centrally in the old town San Juan in December 2013. The room was very clean and airy, which I got at a very affordable rate. The hotel has no elevator, which is fine if you travel light but the equation changes if you schlep heavy luggage and your room is on the top floor (4th), in which case a free workout is included in your price.

In addition, note that there is a salsa club next door, the Newyorican Cafe, which will cause the building to be a-rocking to the sounds of salsa till the wee hours of the morning, especially on Saturday nights. This is great news if you love salsa as you can listen to the entire program at no extra charge. So there you go, saving even more while immersing yourself in a truly enjoyable Puerto Rico experience.

Room Tip: Ask for interior room if you prefer quiet, which I probably everybody wants.
1 Thank Walter N

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
Gray, Maine
Reviewed January 1, 2014

Great stay at Da'house. Good location, clean, airy, people working there seemed cool and very helpful, quick to pick up the phone and check restaurants availability for us. We stayed there Christmas eve, 3rd floor, steps no big deal at all. Room had nice balconies with views.
Definitely would recommend staying here.

2 Thank paulajean o
Greenville, Mississippi
Reviewed December 29, 2013

My husband and I booked a room here at the last minute after a winter storm changed our travel plans and got us to San Juan one day earlier than we originally planned for a cruise. This is a no-frills hotel in an interesting, historic building within easy walking distance of shops, restaurants, and attractions in Old San Juan. We got in about 10 PM and actually walked past the hotel at first because the desk is at the back of a shop that was closed (lights out). After backtracking, we noticed a sign and doorbell, and the desk clerk buzzed us in. There are no elevators (we knew this ahead of time) so we had to carry our luggage up the stairs to our room on the third floor. The room itself was clean but very sparse. It had a radio but no TV. No closet (just a bar on the wall with a few hangers). No washcloths. No cups in the bathroom. The lamp on the bedside table did not work (we reported this when we checked out the next day). There is a bar adjacent to the hotel and the sound definitely travels. The hotel website actually describes rooms by proximity to the "party," and we selected the quietest one that was still available (it was listed as "usually quiet"). We could hear the salsa band until 3 AM. Realizing that noise might be a problem, I packed some foam ear plugs and that dimmed the noise enough so I could sleep, but my husband stayed awake until the band stopped. We stayed on a Friday night - perhaps the band stops earlier during the week? Given the level of noise in our "quiet" room, I am very glad I did not pick one that was described as "next to the party." The room was small but we expected that based on the age of the building and previous reviews we had read; it was sufficient for our needs. The high ceilings made it feel more spacious. The same clerk who buzzed us in when we arrived also checked us out the next morning. She was very pleasant and friendly.

Orlando, Florida
Reviewed December 26, 2013

I decided to take my wife to Puerto Rico for our anniversary and thought it would be nice to stay at Da House because of it's location. I can't remember the name of the room we stayed in, but it was classified next to the party..and it was LOUD.

The next day we aplogized and said that we couldn't stay there because of the noise and they were VERY gracious. The owner came all the way over there just to make sure the person I made the reservation with explained the noise levels to me, which he did. I explained that I just underestimated the noise. We recieved our money back minus the night we stayed and they even called a cab for us to take us to another hotel.

Please keep in mind that not all the rooms are classified as "close to the party" there people directly accross from us were and group of elderly people and they said they did fine. So if you need 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep I wouldnt recommend this location, especially in a room classifed as "close to the party".

The establishment is beautiful inside and out with art work and furniture and that matches the them. Some of the rooms are small but very clean and and beautifuly decorated with comfortable beds. Please dont confuse this as a complaint about the noise, as I would recommend this hotel to anyone. Just keep in mind that when they say it's loud it is indeed very LOUD.

Room Tip: Rooms towards the middle of the building are quieter.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank epedrosa
phoenix
Reviewed December 22, 2013

This is not a chain hotel which is what makes it so great. Upon check in around 1am we were buzzed in and welcomed. I had done my research and booked us a room at the front of the hotel (furthest from the bar next door if noise is a concern). That said, after dropping our bags the first thing I did was grab my camera and head to the bar next door. Full horn section blasting. We enjoyed for a bit and retired around 3am. The area is fantastic and the recommended breakfast at Mallorca was spot on. Great location, price and a place you will remember. They stored our luggage for a small fee which was very convenient prior to our cruise departure.

Room Tip: Do research and pick quiet or party room based on your needs
1 Thank MissGPhoenix
Picayune, MS
Reviewed December 18, 2013

If you are looking for a hotel in the heart of Old San Juan, Da House is perfect. Don't expect any frills here. You choose your room based on the amount of noise you can tolerate from the street and next door bar. I chose a quiet room on the 3rd floor. THERE IS NO ELEVATOR, so hiking of the steps with luggage is not too fun! The room was clean and simple. There is NO TV in the room. I enjoyed sitting on the roof top. There is a beautiful view of the ship harbor.

Room Tip: If you don't like noise, request a quiet room. The location is great. Within walking distance...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Annapolis, Maryland
Reviewed December 7, 2013 via mobile

Our last night in P.R. was spent at Da House. The building was so beautiful, our room 406 was clean and nicely decorated. We had an amazing view. The hotel staff were so friendly and helpful. I strongly recommend going up to the rooftop, and don't forget to bring your camera, it's a breathtaking view up there and lots of comfortable seating. The location is perfect for walking to shops and visiting several restaurants as well as seeing sights.

Reading other reviews, I was concerned about the noise issue, but we stayed at Da House on a Monday night and it was not an issue at all. Yes there is no elevator and you have to use the stairs, but we are young and in shape so again this was not a problem for us. The bathroom is tight, but the shower has good water pressure and the vanity is so damn cute.

The only issue was the bed, it's not that comfortable but the real problem was the fact that every time you moved in bed it would creak and groan. All in all this is a super cool place to stay and the staff will make sure you have a perfect experience, just tell them what you want to get out of your visit and they will lead you in the right direction.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple