“Cervantes - great hotel, not great location”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Cervantes

Cervantes
Ranked #23 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
Saint John, Canada
“Cervantes - great hotel, not great location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2011

We recently stayed for 1 night prior to our cruise. Taxi driver could not locate front door. actually had to wander the street to find the entrance. Could use better signage. Greeted warmly and given a beautiful large room with king bed, 2 bathrooms. AC worked great, was actually a bit cold. As it was late we decided to eat at their restaurant. it was first class! waiter was great and food was wonderful. We were very tired after being up very early to catch our flights. Had read previous reviews about the street noise but very few other hotel rooms were available in old San Juan. The noise on a Friday night was bad. Shutter windows did nothing to keep the noise at bay. Our room faced the street. other rooms on the side or back probably would be quieter. Bed was very comfortable and large bathroom was beautiful. It was too bad about the noise from outside.

In the morning we ate the complimentary continental breakfast (way too much bread!) and went walking. Convienent location for sightseeing in Old San Juan.

All in all, a nice small hotel. need better signage but otherwise restaurant was great. Room was great. Nothing they can do about the street noise.

1 Thank Cheryl63

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2011

We flew in the day before our cruise and decided on CC based on the photos and some of the reviews. I always take negative reviews with a grain of salt because I wasn't there and don't know the circumstances. Let me offer you our story.

We arrived about 11:00 pm on Friday evening and took a taxi to OSJ. It took the taxi driver a few phone calls to determine WHERE this place was because there is no address on the building. We went to the registration desk and handed them our confirmation. She made a few entries into the computer and informed us the room we booked had no A/C. It was 80 degrees outside at 11:00 pm so things were not sounding good. She offered to move us into a Junior Suite but it also had no A/C. I'm not sure why she thought that would appease us since we are basically looking for a bed and A/C.

The desk clerk seemed to understand the problem but had few options. We were offered to be walked to another property but after looking at the reviews decided that was not going to work. She was clearly uncomfortable being in the situation she was facing so I have to give her credit for trying to handle the situation as best she could with what few tricks she had up her sleeve.

I told her the situation was unacceptable and asked why we were not contacted earlier so we could make alternate arrangements. That was met with a blank stare. She offered us fans and told us if the windows were opened it would cool off. We accepted and went to the room. The thermometer read 89 degrees in the room. They brought us two cheap fans and a large bucket of ice. What the ....! With the windows open we couldn't get to sleep because the neighborhood is an entertainment district and people were walking under the open window screaming and carrying on til all hours of the morning.

I asked to receive a late check out because we were inconvenienced by the hotel by having to sweat the night away and was told no. We would be charged if we stayed past 12 noon because that is their policy. Really? What is your policy on neglecting to tell guests you don't have A/C.

The room was actually very nice and would have been wonderful IF the A/C was working. The bed was comfortable but in the heat, the soft nature of the bedding just made you sweat even more. The bathroom was small but manageable. Very little in the area of TV stations so plan on entertaining yourself by taking a few cold showers through the night.

We plan on disputing the charge with American Express when we return home because 170 a night for a sweat box is not acceptable in my opinion. I can with all honesty STRONGLY ADVISE AVOIDING this property unless you can guarantee you will receive what you are reserving and that includes A/C. The owners are clearly not maintaining the property and may be poorly experienced hoteliers. Whatever the situation this place was a HUGE disappointment.

Room Tip: Demand written confirmation that the A/C does in fact work and that if it doesn't work, you will...
2 Thank roughout
Baytown, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2011

I reserved a one night stay following a Carnival cruise. Initially, I had reserved a room at the Milano, but I kept reading bad reviews and cancelled that reservation with a 10% administration fee to do so. I wanted to end my vacation on a high note, so I made a reservation at the Cervantes based on good reviews and its proximity to the Carnival pier. To start with, this place was hard to locate even with GPS. We walked past it probably three times. The only identification on the building is two C's etched in the glass of the doors. Nothing else, just two C's, not even an address. Once we found it, it seemed exactly what I was hoping for. We were shown to our room which was small but decorated nicely. The bathroom was very nice too.
As the man was leaving our room, we asked how to turn on the AC because it was very warm in there. He then told us that it wasn't working, but it was being worked on and should be back on before too long.
My husband and I exchanged glances because our cruise cabin had problems with AC too. As a result, I had slept terribly the whole time. With two nights left of a seven night cruise, and numerous service calls they finally offered to move us to another cabin. Our room at the hotel was going to be a lot hotter then our cabin!
Long story short... by 10:00 PM that evening the AC still wasn't fixed and they did not want to credit us if we moved to another hotel (all of their rooms were without AC). The only thing we used the room for at that point was to store our luggage. I was prepared to sleep on the lobby couch in my p.j.s and tell every guest that came in that the AC was not working (and write a bad review). This was relayed to the owner who said if I wanted to sleep on the couch I could, but asked if I would wait till after the lobby restaurant closed at 11:00!! Wasn't that nice of him/her!! Meanwhile, my husband was emphatic that I was not sleeping on the couch and wanted to just go to another hotel. If we did that, our one night stay in San Juan was going to end up costing us $500.00! I could take another cruise for that price! Eventually, the chef at the restaurant (who was very nice and gracious) ended up calling the owner again, and was able to get the night's stay credited for us. We then moved to the Sheraton about 11:00 at night.
My main complaint is that they did not tell us the AC was broken before we checked in, and they should of at least given us the choice to move somewhere else and not be charged.
I understand the importance of cancellation policies, but the room was just too hot to sleep in. The most disturbing thing for me is that the owner, who is most likely a millionaire, did not seem to be concerned with his/her customers. This may be a great place to stay when everything is working well, but a better indication of quality of customer service and hospitality is how customers are treated when things are not!!

4 Thank eram11
Falls Church
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2011

My husband and I recently stayed at the hotel for our 10 year anniversary. Great location, friendly and helpful staff. Rooms were clean and housekeeping always replenished what we needed. There is a new chef and the food was excellent.

Our room faced the back and it was mostly noisy in the morning but is expected when staying in a bustling city.

If there is one thing we could have changed, we would have liked to have had more bed pillows. Only one each was provided.

We would stay again if given the chance to come back to Old San Juan. We miss it already!

VMT0708
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2011

We recently stayed at Cervantes for two nights on our honeymoon while waiting to board a cruise from Old San Juan, Puerto Rico. It was everything we could have hoped for and more. When we booked the hotel, we were going with a gut feeling and just hoping that it would be nice. It was amazing! It is a beautiful hotel and the room was wonderful.

The hotel staff was all very friendly and more than willing to help with anything. The room was incredible. We stayed in room #9 on the 3rd floor which faces the street. We had 3 balconies! The room had a wet bar area, a pull out couch bed, three sitting chairs, and a flat screen TV. In the bedroom area, there was a huge king size bed (very comfortable) and all of the decorations, lighting and extras were all very modern.

The bathroom was great with double sinks and a very large steam shower! (however, the steam shower did not work, but they were getting it fixed.). The only other thing is the noise. The street below and the people leaving the restaurants and bars are very loud. The sound continues well into the night and even into the early morning hours. Don’t plan to get too much sleep, but for the price in the off season. Cervantes is gorgeous with a great location and wonderful ambiance. We would recommend this hotel to others that want something different than your average hotel.

Room Tip: Room #9 was beautiful!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Long Beach, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2011

I recently stayed at Chateau Cervantes for nine days and eight nights during a birthday get-away trip to Puerto Rico. The hotel staff was friendly and polite. Chateau Cervantes is situated in Old San Juan, amid excellent restaurants, shopping and night-life. The location of this hotel is excellent for sightseeing and it provides easy access to all of the attractions Old San Juan has to offer. I was accommodated with a petite room on the fourth floor of the hotel, facing a back street. My room was small, with mediocre décor. The closet space was minimal. However, my bathroom was truly amazing. I loved the shower. The luxurious bathroom was the best part of my stay at Chateau Cervantes.

The Wi-Fi internet connection was not available during my stay at the hotel, which was a major inconvenience and disappointment. The room telephone did not work for the duration of my stay at Chateau Cervantes. Upon inquiry, hotel staff advised me that the telephone service was down hotel wide and that the problem was being addressed. I was not able to call for room service for the length of my stay. Having room service would have been nice during a relaxing get-away trip. I was disappointed with the lack of amenities and services at Chateau Cervantes.

Chateau Cervantes does not appear to be a hotel meant for relaxation. The noise level from the adjoining neighborhood is overwhelming day and night. Overall, Chateau Cervantes appeared to be a comfortable hotel conveniently situated for those who enjoy the night-life Old San Juan has to offer.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
4 Thank Meticulous_One
Saint Louis
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2011

This was my 2nd stay at Cervantes. Again, another great stay in Old San Juan at Cervantes.
The location of this hotel is very convenient to everything. Dining is close, shopping easily accessible, touring is easy and the hotel is in close proximity to the cruise ship port as well as the International San Juan Airport and the local airport. The staff was friendly and helpful.

We had a junior suite which was comfortable, clean and quaint. The beds are very comfortable and there is a pull out sofa if needed. During the weekends you do hear some noise from outside as the streets are lively on Saturday nights. If you want pure silence during the weekend nights, this is not for you.

The hotel room comes with breakfast that is served from 7:30-10 am. They have a great bar in the lobby that serves lunch and dinner as well.

Overall, you won't go wrong with this hotel. You could probably find a less expensive option that would be nice in Old San Juan but if you want to stay here, you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends