“Quiet escape”

Hacienda Isabel Coffee Boutique
Ranked #12 of 20 Coffee & Tea in San Juan
Cuisines: Cafe, Puerto Rican
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: Gourmet, single-source, 100% Arabica, and socially responsible specialty coffee from Puerto Rico; from our hacienda right to your cup-or even your front door.
“Quiet escape”
Reviewed May 13, 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and stumbled upon Isabel's looking for an ATM. Happy we passed by this amazing place. The food was excellent, the drink passion fruit frappe was pretty amazing!!! I will definitely want to come back to the this little piece of heaven in old San Juan.

• Visited May 2014

“Quaint little spot; out of reality prices”
Reviewed May 4, 2014 via mobile

A friend mentioned this coffee place located right in a residential street in Old San Juan. We were in the neighborhood and found ourselves right in their door. So we decided to go in and have a cup of coffee.
The coffee house is a warmly and elegantly decorated intimate space with two living rooms arranged in a homely fashion. The owners, a couple with a coffee farm in the Utuado mountains, are there to greet and serve you with personal attention. Being there feels as if you were invited to have coffee with family or close friends. The owners are welcoming, willing to have a conversation and their presence is notoriously conspicuous. Coffee is freshly ground and individually brewed as in any quality coffee house. The real big surprise, in terms of Puerto Rico norms, is the astronomical charge for a cup of coffee: we paid $10. for two lattes. I mean, a cup of coffee goes nowadays for $5.-$6. in Paris, France and anywhere from $1.50-$4.50 in New York city. But in Old San Juan, Puerto Rico, a cup of coffee priced at $5.??? Give me a break! This is preposterous and pretentious, more so when in Old San Juan right now there are over six excellent coffee houses with single origin beans that do not charge anything close to what they dare charge here. Café Cialitos, Caficultura, Cuatro Sombras and the coffee house within Ballajá building offer brews of equal or better quality for half or less than half what Hacienda Isabel charges. Thus, I am sorry to say that despite their unique ambiance and personal attention, Old San Juan is not Paris or New York, particularly when the quality coffee culture in Puerto Rico is so widespread in this neighborhood. No way I would repeat a visit to this coffee shop with such contemptuous prices. No need to.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank Infinitegusto
Sebastian R, Owner at Hacienda Isabel Coffee Boutique, responded to this review, May 5, 2014
I'm glad you enjoyed our coffee and decor! As for our uniqueness in terms of coffee taste, the Hacienda Isabel is located on a unique set of mountains, where humidity, nutrients, and altitude create a unique taste; it could be described as bold, non-bitter, and almost sweet in a chocolatey way. Yes, all coffees in Puerto Rico are incredible (that is what we try to communicate to those who try our coffee), but as I mentioned earlier our coffee has a unique aroma and taste, that in my years of searching for great coffees, I could not match. As with anything, people have their own taste in coffee, and for those who like a coffee like ours (bold, non-bitter, and almost sweet in a chocolatey way), Hacienda Isabel is the place to be.
As for the price, we own a state-of-the-art coffee processing facility, strive to spare no cost, and work tirelessly to pay all of our employees the most competitive salaries out there. Unlike other coffees, our goal is not to provide a "good-as-any-other" coffee, our goal is to bring to the market a socially-responsible coffee of the best quality in the world. We work to achieve this goal every day, and we wish our coffee was accesible to everyone, but we constantly have to face the sad fact that it is not. Yet, that will in no way prevent us from achieving our goal of making the world's best coffee.
I hope one day in the future you will come to compare your new coffee tasting experiences with those you had in Old San Juan, Puerto Rico, rather than just New York or Paris.
“A pleasant late lunch”
Reviewed April 28, 2014 via mobile

While walking in old San Juan, we stumble upon this nice coffee lounge and stopped there to have a late lunch.
The place is really cozy and the ambiance gives us a nice outlook of how I would represent a coffee farm lounge in Puerto Rico.
As for the food itself, we had a good baguette sandwich filled with turkey, lettuce, cheese chives, olive oil sided with chips and a very good mango smoothy.

We had a nice talk about the Puerto Rican coffea and their business.

“Mallorca Extraordinaire!”
Reviewed April 21, 2014

I am a big fan of Mallorcas and have eaten them at dozens of establishments. However, the gourmet mallorca I had this morning with chorizo and cheese was the best Mallorca I have ever tasted. I cannot recommend it highly enough. The coffee comes from their own Puerto Rican coffee plantations where they oversee every step of the process which results in a wonderful cup of coffee. It is slightly pricier than other establishments but well worth the extra. You may be able to find a cheaper Mallorca, but you will not find a better one!

• Visited April 2014
San Juan, Puerto Rico
“Amazing coffee and service. ”
Reviewed April 5, 2014 via mobile

I highly recommend this coffee boutique. They serve specialty coffee produced at their own farm located in the municipality of Utuado and they also sell this specialty single origin coffee at their shop (10oz and 1lbs bags). The owners are very hospitable. They also sell several products usong coffe (i.e. Soap, hand cream, etc.). Food is very good too. You will feel like at home.