“Well Executed Theme”
Review of Chocobar Cortes

Chocobar Cortes
Ranked #3 of 1,141 Restaurants in San Juan
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: ChocoBar is a new, innovative gastronomic space located in the heart of Old San Juan, and here chocolate is our guiding star. Our restaurant is part of Casa Cortés, where the historical patrimonies of the capital city, Caribbean art, and first class service converge. Here you can enjoy a variety of dishes and cocktail selections, elaborated with local products from the family run Cortés Chocolate Enterprise. A novel gastronomic concept that encompasses art and culture, where enjoying chocolate is a passion and quality is our compromise.
Reviewed June 15, 2014

The decor, service, and atmosphere is spot on. The chocolate theme menu is creative and delicious. We enjoyed everything about this place and highly recommend it to anyone looking for a memorable breakfast. I wish there was one in every city we visit and one down down the street from our home in downtown Greenville SC.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,600)

Reviewed June 11, 2014 via mobile

My wife and son are chocoholics, so we decided to try this restaurant for breakfast. My son had the chocolate waffles and Puerto Rican hot chocolate and loved it. My wife had the grilled cheese and chocolate and enjoyed that as well - although she needed a little chocolate sauce to dip it into. I simply had a pastry and Puerto Rican hot chocolate and enjoyed it a lot. Service was efficient and friendly, and Call San Francisco has a lot going on. I'd certainly try it for other meals, and I recommend it for breakfast too!

Reviewed May 28, 2014

We stopped by this location on the recommendation of local friends, and we were not disappointed. Great chocolate! My wife typically does not like sweets (admittedly I have a very large sweet tooth) and she even enjoyed the food here. Milkshakes were great to finish off the visit.

Reviewed May 18, 2014

The place is perfectly located at The Old San Juan. It is a very nice restaurant with a good ambience and decorations. The waiting time was 2-3 minutes which is awesome. The service was ok, but not as good as expected as my other experiences in near locations. I totally recommend the chocolate croissant, it is delicious. Every single bite is full of chocolate. They gave us small pieces of chocolate bars and cheddar cheese which is a very common combo here in Puerto Rico. Since we already ordered a chocolate croissant, we decided to order a more salty breakfast including eggs. It was a very good decision. Then we ordered the reason we were there: the hot chocolate drinks. I have to say that my expectations were too high since here in Puerto Rico we drink hot chocolate all the time, and of course the chocolate that every puertorican drinks is Chocolate Cortes which you can find in every suermarket or pharmacy here in PR. It is the best.
Well, the menu had a plenty variety of hot chocolates so I decided to order the Puertorican one (I cannot remember the actual name but Im pretty sure it is called Puertorican). Well,....it was bad. Here in Puerto Rico we make the hot chocolate with Carnation Evaporated Milk which make a huge difference in the taste. And so I was expecting them to do the same thing, but no. Apparently they make the drinks with normal milk or worst, with water. I really do not recommend any hot chocolate from here since we ordered a total of 5 different types. I recommend buying the chocolate bar of Chocolate Cortes (yellow package) in the supermarket and make it in your house with Carnation Evaporated Milk. You will see and taste the difference. I can only say that this place is good, and the food is also good. But the hot chocolates are not. The quality of them were not the quality I was expecting. You can totally drink a way better hot chocolate at your house.

2  Thank Gis H
Reviewed May 18, 2014 via mobile

This is my second visited the first was just Ok. But now we went with the classic Hot chocolate and like Good Puerto Rican dropped the cheddar cheese inside it was prefect. We also had the grill cheese it good to share since it can get overwhelm with the sweet. Our waitress was great I order the wrong sandwich and was able to change it. We really enjoyed it.