“S.J. Suites is the place to stay!”
Review of S.J. Suites

S.J. Suites
Ranked #42 of 48 Hotels in San Juan
Eaton, Colorado
“S.J. Suites is the place to stay!”
Reviewed June 17, 2013

My wife and I stayed at S.J. Suites for one night before our honeymoon cruise and we had a great stay. The manager was extremely friendly and helpful by explaining to us where the best places to eat were located as well as the highlights of Old San Juan. We followed all of his advice and we were very pleased with the food and the entire experience. This hotel is located in the neatest area of Old San Juan and it puts everything within walking distance. The manager locked up our luggage for us while we walked around town and even let us keep our luggage there again when we came back from the cruise and had some free time, even though we had only stayed the one night! If we ever go back to Puerto Rico, we will be staying here again. In fact, our experience at this hotel is what makes us want to go back to Puerto Rico again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Reviewed June 15, 2013

So I flew in to San Juan and didn't know where to stay so I looked for the cheapest hotel I could find close to old San Juan. Just reserved this one short notice. The staff is nice, check in was quick. they have real door keys instead of key cards. internet works and its free. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable. I mean the tv is kinda small, not many channels but enough for me, there's no pool or gym or anything. Its not luxury but it is safe, quiet, clean, comfortable, close to everything. Overall I was pretty happy with my stay and would recommend this hotel to people wanting to save money and get a good night's rest.

Room Tip: Suites are bigger and have a couch I think. I stayed in a regular room by myself and it was ok. mi...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank MrRiggyb
Kingston, New Hampshire
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Booked this hotel because of proximity to cruise ship docks and we were glad we did. What it lacks in views and offerings,it certainly makes up for in cleanliness, efficiency, friendliness and location. All of Old San Juan sites are within easy walking distances, and the front desk was more than eager to show the attractions on a map, and offer great advice. Great restaurants are also nearby.
If you are taking a cruise ship, don't bother with a taxi, the ship dock is only a few blocks away.
A great find this SJ Suites was!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Kingmoham
Atenas, Costa Rica
Reviewed May 9, 2013

I was to board a cruise ship on Saturday, and thought it would be nice to spend a couple of days in Puerto Rico as I had not been there before. I booked the S. J. Suites Hotel on the internet, and was intrigued with what I found. The entrance to the hotel is right off Fortaleza St. and an elevator takes you up to Reception on the second floor. Everything is neat and compact, and very secure. My room was immaculate and the bath had plenty of hot water. Located in the heart of old San Juan all the tourist attractions were within easy reach. Free bus and tour train service passed in front of the hotel. Restaurants and souvenir shops right at hand. Slept well both nights with nary a sound from outside. Yes, I would stay there again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Ron T
Nashville, Indiana
Reviewed April 26, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the S.J. Suites in Old San Juan prior to our cruise to the Southern Caribbean. Since the cruise was port intensive, we wanted to experience Old San Juan rather than the beach area of Puerto Rico. This hotel was perfect!! It was not fancy but it was clean and provided a nice haven to visit the sights of old San Juan. The staff was exceptional and provided us with knowledge of local restaurants and watering holes which were excellent. The dinner at the Mojito and breakfast at the Mandolin were enjoyable. Thank you for an enjoyable stay.

Dave Woods, Nashville, Indiana

san carlos, son
Reviewed April 19, 2013

This hotel is smack dab in the middle of Fortaleza Street in old San Juan, which is a very good place to be. Some of the world's finest dining is only a few minute's walk away and all the attractions of the compact Old San Juan area is easily accessible by foot. The hotel is small and basic but our room was comfortable and clean. The staff is knowledgable and helpful and manager Raymond might possibly be the friendliest person I've ever met. This hotel is perfect for travelers who only want a basic hotel in a good location and aren't interested in staying at an expensive luxury hotel with a ton of amenities. We would happily stay there again.

Room Tip: If you stay in the back of the hotel, the room will be quiet and the view will be bad.
Riverside, California
Reviewed April 16, 2013

We booked this property because we only needed one night after our cruise. We arrived about 10 am and were a little put off by how small the entrance was. But once inside, we got it! The front desk clerk was fantastic! He was able to accommodate our desire to check in early and we were able get some rest that we desperately needed. When we got hungry, there is no lack of restaurants nearby to satisfy whatever you feel like eating. The front desk clerk later was able to print our boarding passes for our flights the next day, which was also very nice. This property definitely scored high in customer service. Now, for the cons.....we don't know what was up with the A/C but it was on high all night and there is NO thermostat in the room. It was in the hallway so whoever wanted to change the temp on that floor, well...could. At the very least give guests the opportunity to close a vent in our room if you insist on keeping the thermostat on super-cold. We were freezing in our room all night, which was not fun. Also, there wasn't a phone in our room, so every time I needed something I had to go downstairs (we were on the 4th floor, the lobby is on the 2nd) to request fill-in-the-blank. Seriously, get some phones in the rooms - the one night we were there I had to go down three different times (boarding passes, request for ice, and a question about checkout). The walls are pretty thin, we could hear the conversations outside our door and next door quite clearly. It was pretty annoying. Our complaints have to do with the property itself, not the staff, so if you are looking for a place to crash where you will be treated right but you don't care what kind of room you are in, bring some flannel jammies, ear plugs and your running shoes and you'll be good to go!