“Dank”

New York
“Dank”
Reviewed April 22, 2014

Definition of Dank
adjective: disagreeably damp, musty, and typically cold.

As a hotel experience I'd give one star rating - but I'll add two more for the location. Our room (with two queen beds) was very cold when we entered but were able to warm it up a tad by fiddling with the thermostat. The carpet felt damp - not pleasant to walk on in bare feet. Bathroom small but functional. The bed was too soft for my preference.

Check-in was slow with only one employee on duty at the desk and we had to line up behind several other sleep-deprived arrivals. Checkout was fast.

No butter at the buffet breakfast - only margarine, I can't think of any other hotel I've stayed in that did not have butter.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
  • Finnish first
Northern VA
Reviewed April 20, 2014

I booked a room at this hotel in order to catch an early morning flight; it was also the only place I could find with a room near the airport due, in part, to the Easter holiday weekend. It is located at the end of the terminal as one drives around the airport check-in lane, nearest to American Airlines check-in counters. Please note that signs pointing to the airport in the terminal are seen as you approach that particular concourse; I didn't see any signs for this hotel while in Concourse A, for instance.

Check-in wasn't as smooth as at other hotels, as I was dealing with a new employee that needed help from her trainer when working on the computer. However, I had my key within 10 minutes.

The room, with a queen bed, is small, Two people with luggage would make walking around the room difficult. I noticed that the IPod radio / alarm clock was off by several hours (and years, by the date displayed) - little things like that make you wonder what else might not be quite right. The bathroom was clean but small - it definitely couldn't hold two people at one time. A larger person might experience issues in this bathroom, so consider getting a bigger room (assuming the bathrooms are bigger with a king size bed). The room was very quiet; you couldn't tell you were right next to the runway.

The fitness room is small with one treadmill, but it is open 24 hours. The breakfast room is open at 5 a.m., and while they advertise a "hot breakfast" the only hot items I saw were oatmeal and hard boiled eggs. It was more of a continental breakfast, but still I appreciated the fact it was open before my 6:15 a.m. departure.

Check out was smooth. Yes, you have to get your bags screened by the USDA if you are traveling back to the Continental US, so if you can do that the night before consider doing so (even for carryon bags). While there were no lines when I did this after check out, I could see where this could be an issue during rush times for flights. I flew out on Jet Blue, which is on the other side of the airport from the hotel; give yourself at least 15 minutes to walk there from the San Juan Airport Hotel.

I experienced several issues with making the reservation on this hotel's website. Twice I tried, and twice it didn't accept my input. I finally called the hotel directly and, with the help of a great clerk on the front desk I was finally able to make my reservation.

Overall this is a functional hotel, probably a step above a Hotel 6 but not close to a Courtyard. However, if you need a place close to the airport for that early morning flight, I would strongly recommend you consider this hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Nova Scotia
Reviewed April 19, 2014

This hotel was perfect for us. We were supposed to arrive at the airport at midnight but only arrived at 2:00am because of a delay in Newark. As soon as we got our baggage, we just walked over to the airport hotel. We didn't need to bother with a taxi at all hours of the night. The room is nothing fancy but did the trick. All we wanted was a clean bed and washroom the next morning. The next morning we went to get breakfast which was included with our stay. We didn't enjoy our breakfast but we also didn't have to pay for it, so it really didn't matter. So nothing fancy at this hotel, but worked perfect people jumping on a cruise the next day.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MelNovaScotia
Reviewed April 18, 2014 via mobile

When you be there the customers Services are excellent, the Manager is funny, the only I so bad is are the rooms, are too small, don't have refrigerator, the only service into the room is a coffee machine but don't have water to put.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Flower Mound, Texas
Reviewed April 18, 2014

We have been staying at the San Juan Airport hotel yearly for 30 years! We have to stay here on both our way down and back for vacation in the Caribbean. This hotel is so basic, and yes, it's convenient for a late night arrival and then an early morning departure. My complaint is that they have renovated the lobby, but the rooms are still dank, musty, poorly laid out, and FREEZING!!! I really wish they would address the guest rooms that need attention before the lobby! Now the lobby is really cool, but who cares?! My biggest complaint is the A/C. You can't really adjust it. Either it's on and freezing, or off. There's no in-between. The breakfast is basic but they do have warm hard boiled eggs, which is nice for some protein. The queen bed mattress is poor quality. This place is convenient, but I really hate staying here. Unfortunately, there's no other choice for this yearly trip.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed April 12, 2014

We missed out plane back home. We were supplied with a brochure from a company called Airport Accommodations. They find you hotels at what they say are the best rates around.

They suggested to us The Doubletree. They said it was 5 minutes away and the rate was 139.00 per night. They also gave the the hotels phone #.

When I called them they said the hotel was 15 minutes from the airport and they did not have a bus to pick us up. We would have had to pay 17.00 for a cab each way.

We deceided to stay at this hotel. It was convienent and right on the airport grounds.

Very small rooms but decent. They have a complimentary breakfast.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed April 11, 2014

This hotel is only good for late arrivals or early departures.
No lobby since it's really part of the departure area.....the
hotel is physically part of the terminal. Room was basic
but adequate. Continental breakfast was included in the
price, located along the hallway of the sleeping rooms.
Did not hear any airplane noise. Arriving late we found
little available for eating.

The hotel entrance is actually in the departure area.....a
distance from picking up luggage. To find it....go upstairs
to departures and look across from the American Airlines

El Canario by the Lagoon
#22 of 47 in San Juan
Holiday Inn Express San Juan Condado
Best Western Plus Condado Palm Inn & Suites

Been to San Juan Airport Hotel? Share your experiences!