“I had higher expectations”

Melanzana Bistro Pizzeria
Ranked #163 of 1,100 Restaurants in San Juan
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Melanzana Bistro Pizzeria located on a corner place right on Ponce de Leon ave, and corner with Miramar ave, with wide windows open space with a magnificent brick oven next to the bar were guest can watch the pizzaiolo tossing dough's and making our famous recipe of neopolitan pizza, in addition our delicious dishes as "cozze vongole" risottos, fresh pasta and a variety of dishes with a fusion of Italian cuisine and local ingredients.... Our bar has a variety of fresh ingredients and local juices which inspire our mixologist to create a variety of refreshing drinks, like our house drink " Melanzana cooler" or any of our martinis with premium brands...
Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

Good service, nice ambiance for a romantic dinner or group of friends. I ate the seafood risotto and I was not impressed. Probably I can make better at home. Food misses seasoning and to attract me to return.

Reviewed September 25, 2013

Two weeks before our trip to Puerto Rico, we read a raging review of Melanzana from "SAL" while browsing El Nuevo Dia online. We decided it would be nice to try the newest restaurant in Miramar and looked forward to it. To our surprise the place was just a few steps from our hotel and the excitement grew as we noticed through the glass windows the high level of activity and realized it was indeed the Inn place to dine in the area. We arrived early and had a window table for three. The server presented the menu professionally and was warm and engaged during her interactions. As the place became busier and louder by the minute we enjoyed the ambiance and the company and did not realize that is was taking a while to get our food. I ordered a personal Marguerita Pizza and it arrived with all the edges burned.My first comment upon arrival had been " I can't wait to get something from that famous oven" and I guess it came back to haunt me. It was dry and hard to chew on, not a pleasant experience. Decided to take a bite of my sister's fish and it was so fishy that I was glad I did not order the same entree. We ordered two desserts: Panna Cotta and Tiramisu. Both were good but the Tiramisu lacked some flavor. It seems like Melanzana is going through the honeymoon stage and everyone in town wants to be there. During our entire stay in Miramar the place was packed daily until late night. But considering the average food and the expensive tab - over $100 for a table of three when one diner had a personal pizza- I just have to wonder as it has been the trend for other places in my beloved Island: how long will it last? Only time will tell. I just read some of the reviews posted before mine and I wonder why some guests have stated perfection from this bistro in Miramar. Time will tell.

Reviewed September 18, 2013

Have been in Melanzana twice this month. My niece is very demanding when she goes for a nice restaurant experience. I invited her while visiting PR with her boyfriend. She loved the wine, pizza, and service. You can see the Ponce de Leon Ave from some tables which is very nice. The desserts are simply delicious. Will go again. It is recommendable to make reservations, specially on weekends.

Reviewed September 15, 2013

Melanzana can be a bit noisy, but it's fun and the food is well prepared, tasty and good. Pizzas are great, as are salads and main dishes. Ssometimes they have a special of the day, not always. There are also antipastos, like eggplant with peppers, and even good cebiche. Good wines by the glass, beer. Prices are ok, service may be slow sometimes but the service is very good, very attentive staff. You must make reservations just in case because somedays it seems as if all of San Juan was there. You can eat at the bar.

Reviewed September 15, 2013

Very disappointed, when there were only a few guests and it took over one hour to bring our food. By then, the Mahi Mahi filet was overcooked and bland. When I addressed the issue with the server, she went to the kitchen and return saying that they will be giving me the dessert of my choice n/c. Really? A $22 plate for a $5 dessert, please? I will never visit and/PR recommend it!