“Pleasantly Surprised”

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
“Pleasantly Surprised”
Reviewed January 17, 2014

My boss had previously recommended to try this restaurant out and I was very pleased with the food. It is not a typical Puerto Rican restaurant which I LOVE. Living on the island, our food can get a little boring and it's always exciting to find a place that serves exotic food. I was looking forward to trying the Kangaroo Nachos but they were out of it, so I tried the buffalo steak (I have to say, I might even like it a 100 times more than a filet mignon) and it was cooked to perfection - so tender and with so much flavor.

My complaints would have to be the portions of the food and the service. These plates are a little pricey for the portion they serve and the service is......slow, which really bothered me because this place is very small.

However, I had a very pleasant experience trying some of their delicious plates and I will be back in the future to try those famous nachos.

• Visited December 2013

Trujillo Alto, Puerto Rico
“Definitely a culinary "studio"”
Reviewed January 16, 2014

Owners Gabriel E. Rivera y Héctor A Rosa definitely have something going here. The restaurant is small and cozy, it also features a table on the outside for those preferring the setting. Both the waiter and the bartender where very attentive and the menu changes around every three months, so it keeps the offerings of the restaurant fresh and diverse. The glasses of sangria were pretty big compared to other restaurants were they barely fill them up, and tasted great. We ordered the maposteado/bistec egg roll, which when mixed with the spicy sauce they served were a paramount delicious combination, I highly recommend it. Then we had the mac and cheese bread bowl benedicts with chorizo and gouda; to me it felt like comfort food re-defined, amazing. We finished up with the alcapurrias with smoke which reminded of the same “masa” my grandmother used to make but with a slight twist. Sadly we were too full for dessert, but will definitely head back in February for the new menu. Overall, a true culinary gem of a place in the metro area. Tip: You can park in the gas station next to it. Just inform it to the people working there.

• Visited January 2014
San Juan, Puerto Rico
“Good lunch, not happy with service”
Reviewed January 15, 2014 via mobile

Went in for lunch and after reading all of the good reviews in TA, good combinations of flavors were expected. The duck filled with longaniza and manposteao was very good. As other reviews, the place is small but nicely decorated and makes you feel good. The young waitress was kind of slow and even slower pouring more wine in my glass. I led her know so "you" (other travelers) don't through the same thing.

I'd try it again with a small group of friends and at night. If you are staying in the Miramar or Condado area, you should visit this cozy place.

Visited January 2014
Florida
“non-traditional tapas, great place to meet with friends!”
Reviewed January 6, 2014

love love love the decoration! the tapas are delicious and different - not your average chorizos and cheese plates. The menu is constantly changing, which is another reason to visit frequently! the ambiance is relaxed with good music. Small eating area as well, but they do accept reservations! Great place to just go with friends and order several tapas and have a few drinks.They have a varied craft beer menu as well.

• Visited December 2013
“Dinner - "Tapas Style" w/ Friends”
Reviewed January 3, 2014 via mobile

This is one of those hidden gems! It's a small and cozy place. They have a small menu but it was so hard to decide because everything sounds amazing! They have made ordinary items simply spectacular... from their eggrolls to their Mac and Chees w/ Benedict Egg, chorizo and truffle oil! Too awesome!