“Perfect!”

Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Calle Aguadilla
Description: Global flavors. Locally-rooted. World-class cuisine ~ that truly knows its place. At 1919, we are passionately committed to offering up the freshest organic and local ingredients for each and every dish we create. We believe in sourcing all our menu components with social consciousness and always at the pinnacle of good taste. We place the highest value on hand-selecting products that are local, artisanal, and homemade in order to craft food that is truly flavor-forward ~ served up fresh and with a contemporary flair ~ from our kitchen to your table. Subdued elegance in a space generous enough for conviviality, yet private enough to provoke intimate conversation. Visitors to our dining salon will attest: The only onlooker here is the ocean. In The Year 1919 The Condado Vanderbilt Hotel was built by the legendary Vanderbilt family under the direction of renowned architect Whitney Warren whose other landmark designs include Grand Central Terminal
Reviewed July 21, 2014 via mobile

Visit for business lunch. Had the prixe fix menu and it was superb. Fresh ingredients and everything prepared from "scratch". All in all, exactly what you'd expect from a fine dining experience (portions, quality, ambience, price). My only negative comment would be service. Don't get me wrong, is not bad but you would expect a little bit more. I suspect that once the hotel starts accepting reservations (allegedly 12/1/14) the level of service will ante up.

Reviewed July 16, 2014

If you are visiting San Juan, you should definitely visit Vanderbilt Hotel Condado. It is beautifully renovated and luxurious that you will feel like you have time traveled to 1919. But it ends there. No need to try to dine at 1919. The restaurant is way overrated. If you like fine dining, you know that many dishes tends to be "experimental", but dishes here were too "experimental" for me. Moreover, you need to wear collared shirt and slacks to dine inside the restaurant, if not, you will probably have to dine in the lounge. I went home to change and came back to get in, but there's nothing special about it. Now I think I should've just dined in the lounge which is actually cooler.

3  Thank Michael N
Jerry M, General Manager at 1919 Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2014

Hello Michael, thank you for sharing your visit to our property and mentioning how beautiful it is. During the day this lobby has the most amazing ocean view you can imagine and yes we also offer a great menu at the lounge. I want to thank you for mentioning our dress code since, this is very important for us and we try very hard to let everyone know our “no shorts or Flip Flops” attire in order to maintain the elegance of our lobby and restaurant. I do hope to have you back soon to enjoy dinner at the lounge or try the restaurant again.
Jerry

Reviewed July 12, 2014

1919 Restaurant is a beautiful restaurant located in the fancy, new Condado Vanderbilt Hotel, which is opening soon. The staff is friendly and warm, but a bit disorganized, which will improve in time. Hopefully the food will too. Our "organic chicken for two" entree, at $32 per person, was an enormous disappointment. Not only was it not fully cooked, its flavor and small portion size didn't help matters. When we pointed out the chicken wasn't cooked properly, it was taken back to the kitchen with no apology offered. The soup and pasta appetizer were both good, but expensive.
I guess the high prices are to keep the riff raff out. They better be careful, because there are better places in San Juan that are more affordable.

2  Thank BarryDMill
Jerry M, General Manager at 1919 Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2014

Thank you for your comments; I apologize for no one saying nothing to you about the undercooked chicken. I am disappointed myself that no one brought this to my attention as it is instructed. I will make sure this does not happen again. Please let me know next time you are in town, I will like to speak to you personally.
Jerry martinez

Reviewed July 6, 2014 via mobile

For organic food, grass fed meats and wild caught fish, I prefer other restaurants rather than this one. Good ambiance BUT, service for us was awful. We waited 30 minutes for drinks and 1 hour between first and second course. They apologized saying that something happened in the kitchen... All tables were served except ours. They gave us a bottle of champagne for the bad service (which was good). Food was average, it didnt wow me at all. I've been in better restaurants in PR and all over the world. Isn't my plan on coming back. If I pay $800+ on a dinner for 4, I expect it to be outstanding in all areas.

1  Thank Jessicaubinas
Jerry M, General Manager at 1919 Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience, I can assure you that we take these comments very seriously. I am sorry that your drink and your food took so long; our mission is to provide the best service and food possible for our guests in a timely manner. I apologize this was not the case for you.
Please accept my apologies and do visit us, I know you will be writing about us again but this time you will be raving about your great experience.
Sincerely
Jerry Martinez

Reviewed June 29, 2014

We had dinner here on our last night in San Juan with a large group (including children). The staff was incredibly accommodating. We had a sampling meal with many courses of smaller entrees and I honestly don't think I could choose a favorite. They were all amazing! The chef even cooked up a special hamburger and fries meal for the children, which the staff graciously served first so they didn't have to wait through the courses of the adult meal. The ambiance is fantastic! A very quiet and quaint spot overlooking the ocean. Fantastic food, service, and experience!!