“Magnificent -- at a price...”
Review of 1919 Restaurant

1919 Restaurant
Ranked #8 of 1,046 Restaurants in San Juan
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Calle Aguadilla
Description: Global flavors. Locally-rooted. World-class cuisine ~ that truly knows its place. At 1919, we are passionately committed to offering up the freshest organic and local ingredients for each and every dish we create. We believe in sourcing all our menu components with social consciousness and always at the pinnacle of good taste. We place the highest value on hand-selecting products that are local, artisanal, and homemade in order to craft food that is truly flavor-forward ~ served up fresh and with a contemporary flair ~ from our kitchen to your table. Subdued elegance in a space generous enough for conviviality, yet private enough to provoke intimate conversation. Visitors to our dining salon will attest: The only onlooker here is the ocean. In The Year 1919 The Condado Vanderbilt Hotel was built by the legendary Vanderbilt family under the direction of renowned architect Whitney Warren whose other landmark designs include Grand Central Terminal
Reviewed October 24, 2013

The Condado Vanderbilt Hotel is the oldest and the most beautiful in San Juan, and the 1919 restaurant (named after the year it was built) has a fine reputation. We went in the evening, which is almost a pity as one doesn't get the grand ocean view; but both the lobby and the dining-room itself are darkly grand. The service is restrained but scrupulous, the staff friendly as everywhere in this city. We began with margaritas, which were perfect, served in tumblers; my friend had the tomato broth, and I the tuna tartare. Portions were small (a pleasure) and beautifully done: the tartare came with a wafer and a poached quail's egg on top. Not hungry enough for four courses, we went straight to the main dish, and both had the duck breast, which arrived sliced, cooked to our order, with some eggplant and a superb black sauce -- certainly the best duck breast I've eaten, and I live in South-West France. For dessert, my friend had the lemon crême brûlée and I a selection of three miniatures: crême brûlée, champagne sabayon and something else I can't recall. Everything was superb. And a bottle of an excellent Côtes du Rhone was a worthy accompaniment. One note: the prices here are definitely New York prices, and the wine list runs from ca. $80 to $1,600 a bottle. There is a 4-course prix fixe menu for $70; but with an average bottle of wine this will still push your bill up to over $200 plus tip. This, as others have noted, is a place for celebration, remarkable in its quality and its presentation.

Reviewed October 23, 2013

Celebrated my 50th, had the tasting menu WOW, food was spectacular as well as the service. The wife loved the cushion for her bag! What an idea. Highly recommend and I will return next trip to San Juan.

Reviewed October 1, 2013 via mobile

This is a treat from the moment you enter the property. The new and not fully opened Vanderbilt Hotel is pure luxury. The lobby retains the elegant double staircase that hosted many sweet sexteens, weddings and anniversaries in padt ages. The lobby has been opened up to allow a complete ocean view.! Amazing! A yes, 1919...good food, good service, Great view! Not cheap but a dining experience. ..what you expect from a 5 star property.

Reviewed September 18, 2013

This 5 course meal was one I will not be likely to forget. From the minute you walk in the doors of the Vanderbilt the experience begins. We met friends and family there and has the most relaxing, enjoyable meal I can remember having in a while. The risotto was amazing, we talked about it for a week!

Reviewed September 11, 2013

We celebrated our 30th anniversary at 1919 and were wowed beyond expectations. Upon entering the Vanderbilt our evening unfolded beautifully. The cuisine was superior in every aspect. My wife and I both had the prefix menu and there were no disappointments. Every course amazed us with flavor and presentation. The local organic ingredients were a huge bonus. From the octopus to the molten chocolate in phyllo, there was never a let down. Highly recommend, wish there was a 6 star rating!

1  Thank Barton F