“Elegance and Michelin quality food at fair prices..”
Review of 1919 Restaurant

1919 Restaurant
Ranked #7 of 1,050 Restaurants in San Juan
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Calle Aguadilla
Description: Global flavors. Locally-rooted. World-class cuisine ~ that truly knows its place. At 1919, we are passionately committed to offering up the freshest organic and local ingredients for each and every dish we create. We believe in sourcing all our menu components with social consciousness and always at the pinnacle of good taste. We place the highest value on hand-selecting products that are local, artisanal, and homemade in order to craft food that is truly flavor-forward ~ served up fresh and with a contemporary flair ~ from our kitchen to your table. Subdued elegance in a space generous enough for conviviality, yet private enough to provoke intimate conversation. Visitors to our dining salon will attest: The only onlooker here is the ocean. In The Year 1919 The Condado Vanderbilt Hotel was built by the legendary Vanderbilt family under the direction of renowned architect Whitney Warren whose other landmark designs include Grand Central Terminal
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Loved the decor, beautifully elegant. The restaurant is in the recently restored Vanderbilt Hotel. The food was every bit as good as a London Michelin starred restaurant and a good value at $70 for the tasting menu.

Wine selection was extensive and reasonably priced.

Perfect place for a foodie.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

We visited San Juan last month for our wedding anniversary and celebrated the anniversary with dinner at 1919. I join the reviews rating the restarant excellent. As a first impression, the decor had a little too much dark wood for me, but it is moderated by the ocean views and a interior pond. I also agree that the service was excellent. It is very formal a follows a hierarchial service system with a captain and many others, but, fortunately, the system does not intrude on the dining experience. The meal started with a champagne cart that was perfect for the anniversary celebration. I had a glass of a wonderful brut rose, but be prepared for an expensive wine list. Most significantly, to me, the food is as good as the reviews suggest. I chose the $70 tasting menu and was not disappointed. The grilled mushrooms to start were very tasty, but the highlight of the meal was the evening special of cod over white polenta. one of the best serafood entries I have had in a long time and showed that great food does not need to be complicated. My wife had lobster salad and the menu halibut, and both were excellent. The preserved lemon jus on the halibut was genius. As good as my cod was, it was a difficult choice of who got the best entree. and woven throughout the meal were these wonderful amuse bouche from the chef. His octopus ceviche almost made me change my mind about octopus. Also the bread service was outstanding. But, to my taste, 1919 was not perfection. I ordered the potato gnocchi with mushrooms, fontina, and chicken in a black truffle vinigrette. The additions were very tasty, but the gnocchi, to me, tasted like spoonfuls of mashed potatoes. Perhaps a discussion with an Italian chef could improve the only misstep of the night.

But overall, a memorable meal for a memorable occasion!

1  Thank George B
Reviewed March 31, 2013

!919 Restaurant in the yet to be opened Vanderbilt Hotel on Ashford Avenue in Condado Beach is an elegant and classic restaurant on the Condado strip. The décor is beautiful and the service superb, then the food is served and it is concurrent with the décor and service. Dishes are classic with a Puerto Rican touch. Enhanced by a great selection of wines, this is an experience for those looking for high quality dining.

Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

I went to 1919 to celebrate my 10tg wedding anniv. We had a great time. The place is beautiful. The service was excellent, from beginning to end. The food was delicioso! We can't wait to return.

1  Thank aldijo2
Reviewed March 26, 2013

I have long awaited for the Vanderbilt to open and present it's services to the public. 1919 was worth every pretty penny my group of 5 ladies spent. We went for a nice formal sitdown dinner and left completely satisfied. The prefix is the way to go, the wine list is amazing, our waiter was very knowledgeable about the wines and just not with a quick wine education. (he knew his stuff) For round 1 - Roasted Organic carrot 2) the Risotto 3) The Venison 4) Lemon Bar...YUM! I like that they stick to traditional old school bar drinks and don't bother with the trying to cover the overdone specialties. The decor is beautifully rich with many interesting textures and patterns to check out. If you don't mind paying some money for a great meal, i highly suggest you make this your must try stop while in Condado!