“5 star dining at a 3 star price!”
Review of La Cueva Del Mar

La Cueva Del Mar
Ranked #51 of 1,100 Restaurants in San Juan
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed March 5, 2014

I just came back from 2 weeks in Puerto Rico and was directed to this restaurant by two local ladies whom I met while out walking.This is a restaurant that is favored by locals and I can see why.The staff[shout out to Sonya and Barbara] are friendly,efficient,and patient with their non Spanish speaking guests.The food is well prepared,fresh and arrives hot to your table.
A word of warning-it is always busy but much worse on the weekends when families and friends seem to gather-go on a week night and go early around 5 o'clock if you are picky about not waiting to be seated.They have free valet parking for their guests as well.
This was one of the best meals I have had in a long time-trust me on this.The total cost for my garlic shrimp,salad,mofongo rice and 2 large Pina Colados was $32 including tip.Hats off to this restaurant and I will be back.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,126)

Reviewed February 27, 2014

We tried to call in our order ahead of time since we were bringing it home to eat, but no luck with that. The wait was just over 30 minutes, but seemed reasonable because it was very busy. The place was quite big and filled with a mix of locals and tourists, the menu was only in Spanish so luckily we had a Spanish speaker in the group. The chicaronnes de pollo we also ordered was a little underwhelming and I wouldn't order it again. But the churassco was great, and the rice that came as a side dish was a family favorite. This was one of out favorite dinners in Puerto Rico, it was a hit with everyone, kids and all!

Reviewed February 27, 2014

Had read the reviews and we arrived late afternoon first night in San Juan thought we would give a try. Wow was it good we had made reservation at a lot more fancy upscale places for the rest of week but this one was hard to beat quality and quantity of food maybe not the presentation or atmosphere but awesome food. My wife had one of the largest lobster tails I have ever seen and it was cooked to perfection with amazing garlic sauce. I had a whole red snapper deep fried, I picked the one off the ice I wanted just as she had picked her lobster tail. Best of all out the door for under 75.00 we are thinking about canceling another reservation just to go back

Reviewed February 24, 2014

This was the place that we were told to go by our guide and he didnt let us down. Many selections on the menu and the seafood was great. We tried Grouper and Snapper and appetizer and all were outstanding. The place was packed but service was well above average and the price was the best value for the trip.
If you like seafood go hang with the locals here.

Reviewed February 24, 2014 via mobile

Grab a beer, enjoy your company, order "empanadillas" and eat fresh seafood. Good place, slow service and lovely people.