“Amazing amazing take it from a foodie from NYC. Amazing”
Review of Oliva Dieta Mediterranea - CLOSED

Oliva Dieta Mediterranea
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Ashford Ave
Description: Inspired in the trilogy of the Mediterranean diet (bread, wine and olive oil), O:liva is the mastered by the recognized chef Nicolas Gomez. The executive chef has created a menu that unites flavors, recipes and experiences from towns in the Mediterranean border such as Spain, France, Italy and Morocco. Olive Oil, known as the nectar of the Mediterranean, plays one of the main characters in the scene together with rich traditions and diverse landscapes. O:liva is presented as an art form that, like wine, has multiple varieties, flavors and its own trade secrets.
Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

I travel to San Juan a lot and as of now this is my favorite place to go. Every dish is excellent and prepared perfectly every time. As for the staff they are very attentive and the atmosphere is cozy and warm. This place is great for a date or business dinner. ENJOY!

1  Thank JohnBlack28
OHYEAHCorp, Owner at Oliva Dieta Mediterranea, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2013

Wow!!!! Thank you, we are very flattered and proud to be one of your favorite restaurants in San Juan. We are looking forward to seeing you soon.

Reviewed January 14, 2013

We stayed at the hotel and returned very late from an excursion to find the restaurant bustling at 10:30 PM,
They were able to find us a table, the last table for two, I noted, and we enjoyed a very nice meal with an excellent waiter. We were sad that they were out of the fish of the day, but given the late hour, we could hardly complain. The wine choices were good, steak was very tender and prepared as ordered, and the Caprese Salad was a surprise and delicious. The decor was very classy, but the high ceilings made it a little loud to talk, although I think the younger crowd like that bustle. I would like to go back to the service that was impeccable. While I might not be extremely demanding, I do like and expect great service at any nice restaurant and this service was truly amazing. I would definitely return any time while in Puerto Rico.

Hello! Thank you for letting us know about your great experience at O:liva. We are really motivated by your positive comments about the service, food and ambiance. Our guests are our #1 priority so I am glad that we were able to accommodate you. I agree with you, the caprese is a complete surprise and the fillet mignon is the most tender meat I've ever tried. Cheers and see you soon.

Reviewed December 29, 2012

Ordered pelligrino, our waitress brought it to the table and I watched in horror as she poured it over ice into glasses?! Pelligrino should not be served over ice, ever, period! Our waitress was painfully slow all night and the place had about 3 tables eating. We never got our bread and had to ask for it. I ordered a drink and it took way too long. I had the capresa, a nice twist on the classic caprese salad. In this one they fried the tomato and stacked it with fresh mozzarella. Only comment here is that I think the dish would have worked better had the mozzarella been fried and the tomato left raw. Just a suggestion as I'm also a proffesional chef and that would be my way of doing it. As for theirs a nice dish all in all but the size of the mozzarella was extremely thin and you practically couldn't taste it. For the mains my wife had the gnocchi and I can tell you these were extremely poorly made. Like lead. Way too much flour and way too much needing of the dough turned what is supposed to be little pillows into hard lead weights. An absolute fail on the gnocchi. I had the salmon. Which was seared nicely and moist. However the chefs need to take a little more time to be gentle with the lentils it was served over. The lentils tasted like metal and for good reason the pans they used for sautéing are too hot and while you sit in the dinning room you can see the cooks flaming away. They need to tell their cooks that while flames looks cool it can impart an off metal taste to a dish as the flames lick the inside of the sauté pan when the pan is way too hot when you add ingredients. You can see that they put a lot of care into the decor. They need to put that same attention to detail into their food. Case in point, several spelling mistakes on the menu clue me in to the fact that the attention to detail in the restaurant are missing. A beautiful space but the restaurant needs a lot of work to match the look. Right now it's a big swing and a miss.

Hello Alan! How are you? Thank you for all the positive comments about the ambiance and all the constructive criticism. We will definitely pay more attention to these essential details. I apologize if you felt that the food did not meet your expectations If you are a chef, you have probably experience different opinions about your food, positive and negative. Every client has a different palate and it is hard to please all of them. As most of our reviews demonstrate, I assure you that Nicolas Gomez (our chef) is one of the best chef that Puerto Rico offers. I hope that you can give us another opportunity, I am sure you won't regret it. We are committed to excellence and will keep working hard to achieve 100% satisfied customers. Please let me know if you want to visit us again and which one is your restaurant so we can also visit you.

Loisse Herger
lherger@oliveboutiquehotel.com

Reviewed December 15, 2012

I was looking forward to diner at Oliva's due to the number of positive reviews. We had dinner with a group of friends. Very nice decor and setup. However I must say that the cocktails order was very slow, it arrived after our appetizers were served. Now with regards to appetizers, were very expensive for the small portion served. I ordered the seared scallop with a bisque and figured maybe they'll serve two or three scallops but they served only one scallop for $15.00. Now figure this you can go to Costco or Sam's Club and get good quality high grade scallops, a bag for $15.00. Next the main entrees were served in a hurry, too fast, immediately after the appetizers. I ordered the Linguine al Pescatore in some vodka sauce and it was good, but at $32.00 a pop for this I had better Linguine al Pescatore at lower prices in other restaurants.

OHYEAHCorp, Executive Chef at Oliva Dieta Mediterranea, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2012

I am really sorry to hear that that your dinner at O:liva did not meet your high expectations. Sincerely, I can say that we put all our professionalism and hard work so that our guests receive an outstanding experience. It is from this great effort, that you can read all of the positive reviews that made you visit us.
I want to thank you for your positive feedback with the Linguini a la Pescatore, I also want to clarify and inform you that the sauce in this plate is not vodka sauce. The reddish color comes from Spanish Paprika “de la vera”, this is done with dried and smoked peppers from Spain (DDO).
When it comes to the scallops, I really have no idea how much they cost in Costco, we don’t buy from them but I would certainly like to point out certain things:
1.The menu is indicates that the bisque has a Scallop, not scallops.
2.The plate has more ingredients. For example semi dried tomatoes called soleggiati, this of course we do not buy at $15 a bag either.
3.In Costco we can all buy Coke for less than $.50 but when you visit a restaurant, we all end up paying 4 or 5 times that amount. There is just a lot more behind the price of the main ingredient in a restaurant.
I hope that I have clarified all your doubts and that you can recreate with your costco bag all the flavors of my kitchen.
Cordially,

The Chef

Reviewed October 26, 2012

small and extraordinary restaurant found in the O:live hotel - best meal I had in San Juan.
First night I had the Salmon, amazing dish. The caprese salad was a total surprise - it was FRIED and delicious.

OHYEAHCorp, Owner at Oliva Dieta Mediterranea, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2012

Thank you Anthony! Wow, best meal in San Juan it is an outstanding review! By the way, I also love the fried caprese salad. See you soon

Loisse Herger