“So So”

Ranked #29 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Twin Cities, Minnesota
“So So”
Reviewed May 30, 2007

We stayed at the Howard Johnson for one night on the way out of Puerto Rico because we had a very early flight and didn't really care about the room. It was approx. $132 (inc. taxes, etc.) and would have cost around $80 in the US mainland but everything is overpriced in Puerto Rico. The room had no windows and was very small. It was, however, extremely clean. The check-in took a while because the one and only person there was on the phone with someone else. It is centrally located but parking is a problem. They suggest a parking lot 3 blocks away. We drove around a bit and, fortunately, found something in front but only because we were planning to leave at 6 a.m. so the reserved parking spots were not being enforced. Only the rooms facing the front street have windows. If you're looking for something centrally located, don't want to pay too much AND you don't care about the ambience, then this is fine. Otherwise, it's an overpiced average hotel.

• Liked — Nothing really
  • Disliked — The rooms
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
5 Thank lawmin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
New York
Reviewed May 29, 2007

We thought this would be an ideal place to spend the night prior to a cruise. We arrived on time and checked in. The elevator didn't work and everyone had to use the stairs. We were told that the elevator
was only used for luggage. So the narrow staircase was the only path for everyone coming and going. This proved particularly difficult on check out when the only down with our bags was via the stairs.
We were handed our room key and directed up the stairs.
The door to our assigned room was ajar, the room steaming hot and the smell of mold hit us in the face as we entered. We asked for another room and were told that was the only room available unless
we wanted to upgrade. Classic bait and switch. We had no choice:
asthma, so we moved.
Did I mention that most rooms have no windows?
Breakfast was dreary and the roof leaked right on our breakfast table.
This is a terrible choice for any other than a budget traveller.

• Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TheLodgeNY

Travelers are raving about these San Juan hotels

South Carolina
Reviewed May 26, 2007

We stayed there last Friday night and thought despite some issues it was a good deal for 120 including tax. This hotel is in a great location of Old SJ, however it is difficult to find if you are not familiar with OLD SJ like us. Our room was very small, but we expected that in this area however it was also rather rough around the edges. For example, there were small holes and stains on the sheets and the back of the bathroom door was downright dirty. There was also a little dirt in the shower the washed down the drain when I turned on the water and about a dozen hairs throughout the bathroom. The employees were very helpful and the breakfast buffet of fruit, danishes, cereal, coffee and juice was fine for this good of a price. The elevator is very slow and seems quite dangerous. We waited 10 minutes (I seriously timed it) for it when we were leaving and the front desk employee finally took it up to my husband when I came down the stairs and noticed it was just sitting empty at the lobby. We slept very well there because the walls are thick and a fan is constantly circulating air since there are not any windows. I would stay there if I returned to the area and would recommend it to a friend who does not mind these issues if the price is right! I don't think you could find a better hotel, at this price in such a great location!

• Liked — Price location and employees
  • Disliked — Hard to find, dirt/hairs in bathroom
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BfromSC
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed April 17, 2007

I stayed at HoJo's on my way back from Vieques. Overrall it was in a great location and the hotel was nice but I don't think it was worth the money being asked. The rooms are very small and it feels a little stuffy. The elevator was small and slow and doesn't always work. The staff was helpful with the few problems we encountered. Our air conditioner stopped working in the middle of the night and we had to change rooms. This was done quickly and the night person was very nice. They did a great job remodeling the place. It was no trip to paradise but it served the purpose and it was quiet. I probably would stay there again but would look to see how big the larger rooms are first.

• Liked — Comfortable beds and quiet at night
  • Disliked — small rooms and very slow elevator
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank amoree
Elk Grove, California
Reviewed April 10, 2007

The location really is great -- right on a main sqare, with a trolley stop outside. I had an inside room (so no windows) and that was a little weird, but I was out most of the day and night and came back just to sleep so it didn't affect me. The people were really nice to me throughout my stay -- especially after I missed my flight and had to find a room at 8PM on a Friday night! (Note: Get to the airport 2 hours early no matter what the airline says. The people move really slowly in San Juan! I should have had more than enough time except for the line literally didn't move for 30 minutes, and then just barely). There's nothing glamorous about this place, but it is clean and it's a great price. The free breakfast was more like a hostel breakfast, so unless you're really on a budget, I'd venture out and eat something a little more local in flavor. As for parking, there are several paid lots that seem far away but are actually right on the free trolley line. However, I didn't have to use them -- I had great luck both nights finding street parking between 5-7PM -- after the working people left for the day and before the diners and party-ers came in for the clubs and stuff. When all is said and done, however, I wish I had foregone the rental car -- it was a liability more than an asset. If you do get one, get the smallest one possible -- the streets are very narrow.

• Liked — The price and location
  • Disliked — the elevator was out of service for part of the time
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled solo
4 Thank TravelBugSacramento
Cincinnati
Reviewed April 9, 2007

Old San Juan was built when the buildings were all connected except when they bordered a street, so don't expect windows in a building in the middle of the block. My room had no windows, but I read the reviews and knew that. The elevator was slow, but it worked. Good value for a single. It's a Howard Johnson, so don't expect high end. I found all the complaints unfounded for this type of hotel. I would definitely return for the price.

Stayed March 2007