“Nice place”

Ranked #27 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Nice place”
Reviewed August 19, 2014

We spent two nights at this hotel. The employees were friendly and helpful. The room wa small but clean and the bed was comfortable. Good deal for the price. In the heart of Old San Juan everything is within a walking distance.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

3 Thank Rnmdavila

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
USA
Reviewed August 19, 2014

The hotel is located across from the city hall in Old San Juan. Thus the location is quite convenient; and everything is within walking distance. The hotel property is of some historical significance, as it is in the historic area.

I stayed in one of the interior rooms, thus, it has no windows; only an interior patio, but you have to step outside of it to see it. The few rooms that face the street have a better view, but also a great deal of noise that filters in. One of the issues that I found amusing is that rooms have no telephones. I assume that it is due to the property's age. However, in my room I had free Wi-Fi access with excellent upload and download speed.

However, the best part of the hotel, by far, is the staff. Greisha and the manager were extremely friendly, helpful and very caring.

In sum, it is a fantastic value, in an excellent location with an awesome staff.

Room Tip: Stay away from the rooms with twin beds. They are not suitable for adults.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank grouparroyo
Reviewed August 18, 2014

The location is excellent for shopping and sightseeing. However wifi should be made available in the rooms. The experience was a great mix of the architecture of Old San Juan and modern housing. A restaurant would be a useful addition to the service provided

• Stayed August 2014
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed August 18, 2014

I had the pleasure of staying at Hotel Plaza De Armas three nights. I had a single room without a window. I was pleasantly surprised how comfortable and quiet the room was during my three day stay. I got plenty of uninterrupted rest. The staff was friendly but the third shift attendant was especially knowledgable and helpful. The location is absolutely the best in terms of exploring Old San Juan. The hotel is right in the middle of all that is to be seen in Old San Juan. You will not need a taxi unless you want to go outside of Old San Juan.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled solo

2 Thank vernon913
Encino, California, United States
Reviewed August 16, 2014

In old town closed to all places. nice friemdly and helpfull staff. Clean place.need to have better wifi and tv in room has some problems. Slow elevator .better restaurant out side the hotel.Good for just have coffee.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Vermont
Reviewed August 13, 2014

I love everything about this hotel, and especially the people.
My favorite people are the ones who say, "maybe there is something I can do." Their generosity extends beyond their responsibilities, their job, their obligations, to some recess of their conscience that wants to be a better person or at least make the world a better place. When you step into Hotel Plaza de Armas, in Old San Juan, you will find such a person behind the desk. He may be the manager, Luis Garzon, or he may be one of Luis' fastidious employees. You’ll find generosity, kindness, friendliness, and a sense of humor.

There was a tiny problem with our room, of no one's fault – simply circumstance - when we arrived, and Luis took it to heart. We'd requested a rollaway bed, knowing they were first come-first served, and he'd just issued the last to a family with smaller children. He did everything in his power to remedy it, and although the hotel was fully booked, he realized that he could switch us with another guest who would not be arriving until the next day because of a change. I have so much respect and admiration for a person who looks beyond what is in front of him to figure out how to change what he sees. If I was at a chain hotel, the desk clerk probably would have said that there was nothing he could do. Our new room was comfortable, clean, and included a TV, fridge, microwave, and coffee maker. We had a lovely balcony and enjoyed watching the Saturday night action in the plaza.

Once we settled the room, Luis began working on my dinner plans, giving me a hand-written coupon for a restaurant around the corner that had a flamenco show. "Hurry," he said, "the show starts soon!"

Later in the evening, after a lovely evening of dinner & entertainment, I was looking for a place to plug in laptop in the lobby. The young man behind the counter walked me around their cozy and fun lobby, a series of three divided spaces with lots of funky and comfortable chairs and coffee tables, and showed me all the places I could plug in, even if it meant moving the furniture. Again, going above and beyond his obligations as a desk clerk.

In the morning, I came down at 7:00 AM hoping for coffee and a place to print boarding passes. The young man behind the counter said the coffee shop wasn't open yet, but he would go in and ask them to start the coffee for me. (No one in San Juan is up at 7AM on a Sunday. Remember that, state-siders) He printed my passes and helped me navigate my transportation for the day. Again, going above and beyond!

Travelers, don’t stay at a big hotel that advertises a business center and bar and 24-hour taxi service. I have made that mistake and was not impressed. At Hotel Plaza De Armas you will get personal service, including printing tickets, helping with directions, and 24-hour taxi service. It's all a part of what they do, without the pretense. What is more, you’ll feel like you just stayed with an old friend, someone who sees you and cares about you. You’ll feel like a part of the San Juan culture in this old cozy building like nothing I’ve ever seen in the states.

I could go on to describe the charming art deco lobby and old-school tiny wooden elevator, but, Luis, you had me at hello!

For the first time in my life, I sought out my host at the end of our stay to say, “Thank you, for everything. The room change, the restaurant recommendation and coupon, the warm reception, the solicitous care during our stay.” I felt Luis did it all just for me, as if I were his favorite guest of all time. But that is probably not true. I would bet that Luis makes every guest feel this way. So if you are going to Old San Juan, stay at Hotel Plaza De Armas. You won't regret it.

Room Tip: Get a balcony!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank Vermont_Jo
LuisGarzon, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Plaza De Armas Old San Juan, responded to this review, August 14, 2014
A million thanks it's not enough Vermont_Jo to express our gratitude to your amazing comment about your recent stay at Hotel Plaza De Armas.

All of our staff are really delighted for your opinion about us and happy because our mission is to give every person who arrives here a great service.

We really enjoy reading your expressions and certainly your comment shows a great satisfaction from your side and tells how our staff makes feel our guests. Our connection and empathy is very important and part of our great policy service. We want our guests to feel comfortable, relaxed and at home.

You will be always more than welcome and we definitely look forward to connecting with you again.

I hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future. Please feel free to contact me directly at plazahj@gmail.com so I can assist you with any future reservations.

As always we want that every person arrives as our guest and leaves as our friend.

Thanks again

Luis Garzon
Guest Relations Manager
Hotel Plaza de Armas
“Where every person arrives as
our guest and leaves as our friend”
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed August 11, 2014

The hotel itself was fine, we just made the mistake to book a room with window.
The street is pretty noisy at night by itself. But to top it off, they were doing some roadwork on Calle Fortalezza, so all evening and all night there was jack hammering and truck noise.

On top of that: although this is a non smoking hotel, some folks were smoking pot and that stench hung all over the third floor.

So we went to the reception and they handled it EXCELLENT.
Just moved us to an interior room on the first floor and the rest of the night was GREAT.
We could've saved us some bucks by booking the interior room from the getgo, oh well, you learn.

Parking is impossible, you have to park at the La Puntilla Parking Lot down at Paseo de la Princesa, about 5 minutes away. It's closed at night, but $6.20 from 4pm to 9am isn't too bad.

After all, it's Old San Juan, very touristy and with 3 cruise ships in town by morning- RUN!

Room Tip: Do yourself a favor, save some bucks and take an inside room. It's not claustrophobic at all...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple