“Location, Location, Location!!!”

Ranked #27 of 48 Hotels in San Juan
San German, Puerto Rico
“Location, Location, Location!!!”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Great location and price....planning to go back soon! The hotel is an old building with charm. If you are looking for a place to stay in Old San Juan you can consider this hotel near stores, pharmacy, small supermarkets, etc.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

1 Thank cathy_cancel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
Ponce, Puerto Rico
Reviewed August 12, 2013

I like it a lot. The location was excellent. The service was awesome. I enjoy it. I will recommend it to anyone that wants to go to Old San Juan. The price was incredible. 100% satisfaction. I had a good experience.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

San Juan, Puerto Rico
Reviewed August 10, 2013

Excellent location and service. The rooms are very clean. The location is wonderful. The restaurants are very close. They don't have a parking lot but the public parking is close. I reccommend the hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Houston, Texas
Reviewed August 9, 2013

Originally I was coming to San Juan on Saturday, July 27, 2013 and was booked at another hotel for proximity to the cruise port, but I worked so many hours leading up to my vacation that I decided I needed to leave on Friday instead.

I've read the mixed reviews about Plaza De Armas, but still gave them a try for Friday night. I will say the hotel looks spooky on the outside at night, but you're totally safe there. The hotel was in close proximity of a lot of places; I was pleasantly surprised. Also the hotel staff were pleasant, despite one lying to me. (See below)

The room was spacious (I don't recall my room number but I was on the 2nd floor) and the bed was comfy. Upon entering the room there was a funny smell; it smelled like the room was damp. I spent time unpacking and I was extremely hot though I could hear the air was on. It was stuffy in the room.

I noticed water on the threshold of the room and bathroom entrance/exit. I didn't get to the hotel until 8:30 or 9:00 pm, so housekeeping should have mopped hours ago.

To my surprise there is no phone in the room to call down to the front desk; you must walk down! I don't mind the exercise, but why wasn't there a phone in the room? What if something happened up there? Oh, and forget about using your cellphone; there was no reception in the room; I had to go to the lobby to get a signal.

I forget the manager's name; I don't have his card on me at work, but I told him of the problem with my room (the smell and the stuffiness). He and another guy were speaking to one another in Spanish; they were going to move me until the other guy stated how much I'd paid for my room (all said in Spanish; which I understand, but they didn't know that) so then he told me there were no available rooms and I couldn't be moved. He followed me up to my room with a can of air freshener and sprayed!!! Really? He also noticed that my air was not on; the sound I was hearing was the fan in the bathroom. How was I to know you turned the air on by turning on the light switch above the sink in the bedroom?

He noticed the water on the floor; cleaned it up and told me if I had any more problems to let him know. I left the hotel in search of food and when I returned my room was ice cold. The coolness of the room removed the damp smell, but now the room is freezing. You can't adjust the temperature. I slept in a ball to preserve body heat and used the throw that was across the bed to try and keep me warm as well. I'd rather sleep in the freezing room than be in a hot, stuffy, and smelly one. (I failed to mention the bed was comfy). Although I felt I was lied to about the room availability, the staff were still nice and the Hotel Manager did ask me if everything worked out ok when he saw me the next day.

I forgot about the TV; it should be put to rest. I had to play around with it to get it to come on and had to change the channels from the TV; the remote didn't work. When I shut the TV off the next morning it popped or sparked (no sparks came out of the TV, but it scared the s**t out of me).

I didn't shower the next morning; I attempted to, but the water was cold; it didn't matter how I turned the knobs. I couldn't call to report it. I washed up at the sink in the room...it had hot water! I didn't even bother reporting it; I was checking out later that day.

I couldn't see myself staying here more than two nights and two may be pushing it. I observed a water leak on the 1st floor in the back where they have the comfy sofa (which is where I thought breakfast was served, but they don't serve it).

If you need someplace to lay your head for the night and not pay an arm and a leg to do so in the heart of OSJ, the Plaza De Armas Hotel is your place. Just don't expect to have a phone in your room or a properly working TV. And remember the air conditioner is operated (turned on and off ) from a light switch on the wall near the sink.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

1 Thank Miss_Mattax
Houston, Texas
Reviewed August 9, 2013

Typical of a nice latin american hotel. Nice place, friendly staff, but no amenities. Great location. I see people on here compaining about the lack of amenities, but if you are looking for that then it's your fault you didn't do the research. One of the cheapest hotels you can find in San Juan. Great hotel for the price. It is what it is. Also when you check in you get a coupon for a free pina colada at a restaurant around the corner that invented the pina colada. The coupon says you also get 10% off your bill, but that didn't happen.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

LuisGarzon, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Plaza De Armas Old San Juan, responded to this review, August 10, 2013
Thanks a lot for your recent review about your stay at Old San Juan.

We take our guests' comments very seriously because we strive to make each stay a memorable one.

I totally agree with you about what you said that when you book a stay in any place some additional step need to be taken into consideration: full description of the room in the property and what the hotel include. It's true we have no pool, gym, continental breakfast, bar neither spa, but let me tell you what we do have.

Our hotel is a historic property, located in the heart of a historic city, Old San Juan. It is comparable to properties in historic neighborhoods in Paris, Madrid or Buenos Aires.
We are indeed a Landmark (Historic) Building, . There is a picture of 1920's in our fanpage in Facebook and our building was already here in that year , that's the charm of being here, to enjoy the raw nature of our culture just in the heart of Old San Juan.

The beauty about being in Hotel Plaza De Armas is that we are in the heart of Old San Juan. People who visit us do not stay in their room for long time but oustside enjoying the museums, forts, restaurants, tours and all other activities that take place near us.

About the discount in Barrachina Restaurant, it's not a 10% but 20% and they do honor but you need to tell them that you are staying with us to get that discount. Anyway, please accept my deepest apology for the inconvenience that this situation represent for you and I promise you
that the next time you visit us I personally make sure that the discount will be honored.

Allow me to tell you that your feedback help us to improve our services and property on a daily basis. It's our goal that any comment or issues that could be present during your stay are going to be addressed in a proper way.

Our principal concern is to meet the needs of each and every guest we serve and always try to exceed their expectations in order to make their stay as pleasant and comfortable as possible.

We want that every person arrives as a guest and always leaves as our friend.

Orlando, Florida
Reviewed August 5, 2013

I never stayed there before, I was looking for a centrally located property to experience Old San Juan for me and my 21 year old son... After doing a little research I found Hotel Plaza De Armas to be in an excellent location and reasonably priced and had rooms that had a bed pattern (1 king and 1 regular size bed) that suited our needs... My experience started when I called and spoke to Beatriz at the front desk... She was delightful on the phone, happy to answer all my questions and wanted to be sure the room type I was looking for was indeed available. She asked for my call back number, checked things out for me and called me back immediately... I decided to take the leap of faith and make the reservation... When we arrived, we were impressed with the location in a main square which is shared by the governor's residence in the heart of Old San Juan.... GREAT LOCATION!!!!!! I saw other comments about "no pool & no gym" and quite frankly if your in Old San Juan.... there is no time for that!!!! This property's location allows you to walk EVERYWHERE... There is so much to see and do within blocks of the front door... like touring the old Fort, eat unbelievable local food, shopping and taking in the historical culture and the spectacular beachs are only minutes away... Matching all this with GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE made me very happy to choose Hotel Plaza De Armas for our stay ... Any property can give you a room... the service and commitment to the guest by the staff, like Beatriz, is what defines a guest's experience... and Hotel Plaza de Armas delivered... We had a blast, felt at home and will make this out hotel choice anytime we make our way to Old San Juan!!!! Thanks for a great time and for making our stay and trip very memorable!!!

Room Tip: I can highly recommend the Suite with King Bed + Single Bed and Balcony
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

LuisGarzon, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Plaza De Armas Old San Juan, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Thanks a lot Royschindele for tsking the time to write about your wonderful experience in your recent stay at Old San Juan.

This is the kind of experience we want our friend expect from us.

We are more than glad that we filled out all your expectation and that you honestly share your opinions with other in order to clarify any doubt about our property.

As you mention who wants a pool, gym, bar or spa when you have all those places just around the corner.

Our property staff has been trained to satisfy all the needs of our guests that later on become our friends.

Yes all the time we do our best to make you feel as if you were home.

As Always we want that every person arrives as a guest and always leaves as our friend.

Puerto Rico
Reviewed August 4, 2013

The hotel has NO (pool, gym, continental breakfast, bar or spa and no internet) it's just a place to go to sleep. The T.V. that was on the room had like problems...i guess because it was old. We were told there was internet on the hotel and when we got there we tried to use it, it had problems and when we asked, we were told that the facilities has no internet for the guest, when we were told there was. When we got on the elevator, some of the corners of it had duct tape and we noticed there was NO inspection notice or papers put on the elevator...so it's like a safety issue for the guest. The halls are way to dark, so I was actually very scared everytime I had to go out of my room. The advantage that the hotel has is that it has a very friendly staff and the location is amazing. The hotel has some problems but it can be fixed...

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

1 Thank Niome4
LuisGarzon, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Plaza De Armas Old San Juan, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Thanks a lot for your recent review about your stay at Old San Juan.

However when you book a stay in any place some additional step need to be taken into consideration: full description of the room in the property and what the hotel include. It's true we have no pool, gym, continental breakfast, bar neither spa, but let me tell you what we do have.

We do have ibternet. Actually we have 3 network in our property to choose from. But could be possible that by the time you were here a failure in the internet could happened just for a short period of time.

Our elevator is a Lula type which means that can not be a more modern one because of our historic characteristic. It allows 4 people or 1,200 pound. Besides we have people for helping guest with their luggages at all time. We are just a four stories building, so stair is just near the elevator for those whom wants to take advantage of exercising while vacationing. By the time you were here the situation with it was taking care of.

Normaly when there is a situation like the one you describe our friendly Front Desk Agents contact me inmediately in order to find a solution to any matter that can affect our guests. I do not know in which rooms you were but I'm pretty sure that if you could talk to our friendly front desk staff and tell them all the things about you have written here your situation could be fixed inmediately since they could call me and I could move you to another room. But if you decide to stay in that room that was your call and we can not force you to move into another room if you do not want to.

We assure you that Hotel Plaza De Armas is the best value for your money due to the LOCATION and the most friendly staff in Old San Juan area.

Yes, you can always look for other location nearby, but they will be always not like us. The combination of conveniences that we have allow us to be UNIQUE.

However next time you have a complaint about anything in anyplace please go first to the Front Desk and try to contact the Administrator/General Manager because maybe that way your situation could be solved in a proper manner and you can avoid uncomfortable situation for you because everything will be arranged immediately.

We want that every person arrives as a guest and always leaves as our friend.

Travelers are raving about these San Juan hotels