“Great Location, decent ammenities”

Hotel Plaza De Armas Old San Juan
Ranked #29 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Reviewed March 1, 2013

My husband and I stayed here this past February the night before we left on a cruise. I chose the hotel for the location. I was very pleased with this aspect of the hotel. It is across from an open plaza area and walking distance to everything we wanted to see. We arrived fairly late in the evening but we explored the town the next morning before checking out. You are within a few blocks of the cathedral, the old wall, the governor's mansion (or someone important), and an old fort. You are also, across the plaza from 2 drug stores and at least a dozen shops (a marshall's as well, in case you forgot any clothing essentials). We also had breakfast at a VERY popular breakfast joint. We felt very safe and loved that we could walk to so many things. The hotel staff was also VERY nice, both upon arrival and at checkout the next day. Super friendly and very helpful with advice on the area, where to eat, etc. The next day they had many taxi's waiting to take people to the cruise ship, I think it was $15 plus tip for the ride. Most of the taxi's in Puerto Rico are vans so even though there were only 2 of us, the van could have seated 6-8. On to the few things that weren't perfect but I think if you expect these things, then you won't be disappointed. Seems like there is a police station next door so i did hear a few things throughout the night but I always fell back asleep. If you are a light sleeper, it may bother you but I was just happy to be on vacation so it really wasn't a big deal for us. My husband didn't hear a thing. Our room was had plenty of space but we chose the bigger room with a balcony. I think a lot of the rooms are on the interior without windows. The elevator is very small and very slow. Like most European elevators. The DID NOT bother us. We only needed it for our luggage. The rest of the time we took the stairs (we were on the 4th floor). If you are impatient or don't like (can't do) stairs then maybe this isn't the hotel for you. the bottom line is that this is a very basic hotel with a very helpful staff and a terrific location.

Room Tip: Would spend the extra for the balcony
2  Thank PoshJuliette
There are newer reviews for Hotel Plaza De Armas Old San Juan

Reviewed February 27, 2013

If you are starting or ending a cruise in San Juan, or vacationing in Vieques, Culebra, or other areas of Puerto Rico - take a day to stay at this hotel and explore old San Juan. Location is probably the most attractive aspect of the hotel, followed closely by the helpful and friendly staff.

Reviewed February 27, 2013

Luis and Ernesto made this experience great. The property has a great location but a bit old on the inside. They do the best they can with what they have. They made our experience great.

We stayed here for one night before heading to the piers (within walking distance) for our cruise. We arrived at 6am and Ernesto held our luggage until check in time so that we can venture Old San Juan. They held our luggage again after check out and before the cruise, and even held it again after we return from our cruise. All this, and we only stayed one night. That was very nice of them.

They're all about the customer experience.

Just go in knowing that this is not a 4/5 star hotel. Our room had a strong bleach smell, and the elevator is a trip. You are paying for the staff and the great location. Plaza de Armas is beautiful.

Thank you Luis and Ernesto. I appreciate your service.

Reviewed February 26, 2013

A few years back my wife and I booked a one night stay here before going out on a cruise. At the time it was a Howard Johnson's property. This time around it is a stand alone hotel and I am happy to say that other than no continental breakfast (which I don't really miss since the standard affair at most hotels tends to be cereal, bagels, pre-wrapped muffins and some fruit) not much has changed here.

For me . .. honestly . . . I don't really care about all the luxury items in a hotel. I don't need the latest and greatest flat screen TV, adjustamatic beds or beds with foam mattresses, spas, pools, on-site restaurants or a full gym. I only pretty much want a clean room for sleeping and showering at a reasonable price in a safe location with employees who are friendly.

Clean: Yup. No issues whatsoever. Everything worked for us . . . A/C had a wall mount unit that was working quite well. TV had a remote with missing batteries, but we're pretty easy . . . we simply used the manual on/off button. Plenty of towels/wash cloths for the two of us. Didn't use the elevator as we were on the ground floor, but other guests seemed to have no issues working the elevator.

Price: A bit more expensive than the hotels we usually favor . . . but just about every hotel in Old San Juan is pretty pricey . . . and the trade off here for the higher charge is the proximity to a lot of very cool historical sites.

Safety: Lots of policia in the area . . . I felt quite safe going out later at night for my wife who had fallen asleep and woke up in the late evening and was quite hungry . . . a three minute walk to the Subway sandwich shop across the Plaza and we had full stomachs.

Employees: Very friendly and accomodating . . . provided a convenient map to get around and honestly the ability to leave the luggage behind while exploring the city in the morning is a great perk . . . not to mention that it is an easy 10-minute downhill walk to the Carnival pier when you're ready to board the ship.

Our room this time and last time was pretty quiet . . . I suppose some folks may not like staying in a historical hotel with no windows . . . but it works for us. This time around there was some noise from late-night returning guests who apparently didn't realize that due to the way the building is constructed noise can carry quite easily.

I guess for me what pretty much sums up my experience here is that I would definitely stay here again before going out on another cruise . . . then again . . . my wife and I are pretty simple folks with simple needs.

2  Thank Firefighterjake
Reviewed February 20, 2013

The employees of this hotel were amazingly helpful during our stay. My friend had an accident during our trip. When we arrived they rushed to get us into a room and made sure we were comfortable during our entire stay. The location is great. The room was small and simple yet clean. We stayed in a room with two single beds. The bathroom was large and clean. There was a microwave and fridge in our room. They offered free wifi, however the signal was very weak. My cell phone did not work inside the facility, which was important for me because I really needed to keep in touch with my friend that ended up having to go to the Emergency Room at the hospital. The location was very good. I did have to drive a ways to park our car, but the staff were very helpful in which parking location was cheapest.

This hotel seems expensive for what you get, but when researching other hotels...it was the one within our budget.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Plaza de Armas Hotel is the most centric place to stay in Old San Juan. The hotel is elegant and service is good. You can park at La Puntilla parking lot (about $8 for 1 day and overnight parking is allowed) or at Doña Fela's parking garage; both about 2 blocks walk. Don't forget to ask the front desk for a map showing free trolley stops.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Our experience with the below hotel, Plaza De Armas in San Juan was poor!

-the elevator to our 4th floor room didn't work
-it took two trips from the lobby to 4th floor to get one room key to work
-our 2nd room key never did work
-the shower had luke warm water the night we arrived and cold water the next morning
-the shower head was clogged and sprayed water in all directions
-there was no way to control the AC in the room (it operated by remote control only, the remote control didn't work)
-the cable TV didn't work when we arrived
-our bathroom had a total of 2 towels and one wash cloth for two quests
-there were no ice machines or signs to ice machines on the 4th floor
-there was no room phone, so to report the above problems we had to go from 4th floor to 1st floor each time
-all night long we could hear other guests come and go
-there was a coffee maker but no coffee, cups, creamer, or sugar in the room

I paid $145 plus tax for a total of $169.23, I expected more for that rate. I agree with another reviewer who wrote, "The price here should be $70, but in our opinion the severe shortage of rooms in San Juan during the holidays and events keeps this hotel in business."

Room Tip: Look for another property
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple