My husband and I stayed here this past February the night before we left on a cruise. I chose the hotel for the location. I was very pleased with this aspect of the hotel. It is across from an open plaza area and walking distance to everything we wanted to see. We arrived fairly late in the evening but we explored the town the next morning before checking out. You are within a few blocks of the cathedral, the old wall, the governor's mansion (or someone important), and an old fort. You are also, across the plaza from 2 drug stores and at least a dozen shops (a marshall's as well, in case you forgot any clothing essentials). We also had breakfast at a VERY popular breakfast joint. We felt very safe and loved that we could walk to so many things. The hotel staff was also VERY nice, both upon arrival and at checkout the next day. Super friendly and very helpful with advice on the area, where to eat, etc. The next day they had many taxi's waiting to take people to the cruise ship, I think it was $15 plus tip for the ride. Most of the taxi's in Puerto Rico are vans so even though there were only 2 of us, the van could have seated 6-8. On to the few things that weren't perfect but I think if you expect these things, then you won't be disappointed. Seems like there is a police station next door so i did hear a few things throughout the night but I always fell back asleep. If you are a light sleeper, it may bother you but I was just happy to be on vacation so it really wasn't a big deal for us. My husband didn't hear a thing. Our room was had plenty of space but we chose the bigger room with a balcony. I think a lot of the rooms are on the interior without windows. The elevator is very small and very slow. Like most European elevators. The DID NOT bother us. We only needed it for our luggage. The rest of the time we took the stairs (we were on the 4th floor). If you are impatient or don't like (can't do) stairs then maybe this isn't the hotel for you. the bottom line is that this is a very basic hotel with a very helpful staff and a terrific location.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to Hotel Plaza De Armas, located in the colonial district of San Juan, Puerto Rico. Hotel Plaza De Armas is for travelers looking to be in the center of Old San Juan. Hotel Plaza de Armas is a delightfully captivating colonial style hotel in the heart of picturesque Old San Juan, a city as rich in history as it is in culture. The colonial building features its unique and renowned antique elevator true to its history. In every direction you can find world-class shopping, dining and entertainment. Our completely unique location highlights spectacular views of the Plaza De Armas and puts you mere cobblestones away from 16th century Spanish fortresses, fascinating museums and art galleries. The modest standard rooms are windowless, excellent for a good night sleep. Suites overlook the city hall and Plaza de Armas. Hotel Plaza De Armas also offers high-speed Internet access in all common areas of the property. Even though everything is at walking distance, we have a trolley stop right outside our door and a taxi line across from the hotel .We look forward to your stay at Hotel Plaza De Armas! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Hotel Plaza De Armas Old San Juan reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Howard Johnson Plaza De Armas
- Howard Johnson San Juan
- Howard Johnson Old San Juan
- San Juan Howard Johnson