“Good Location, rooms need help.”

Hotel Plaza De Armas Old San Juan
Ranked #28 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Reviewed September 26, 2012

Good Location, but the rooms need a little help. I was not expecting much for the price of this former Howard Johnson Hotel. I was only there for 2 nights on a Airline mileage run. I stayed in this hotel once in the past. If you are familiar with motel 6 super 8 this is a similar hotel. On this trip I noticed when I turned the air conditioner on it had a moldy smell and I immediately began to cough. This is probably one of the cheaper hotels in old San Juan, it is fine if you want convenience and it is one of the cheapest on a booking web-site. I used airline miles so I am not sure what I spent but anything over $100 for a windowless room is over priced.

• Stayed: September 2012
2  Thank Ronnie I
LuisGarzon, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Plaza De Armas Old San Juan, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2012

Thanks a lot Mr. Ronnie for taking the time out of your tight schedule to make a review about your stay in Old San Juan.

Allow me to point out that your feedback is extremelly valuable to us. Feedback such as yours assists us in improving our service and property on a daily basis.

However we must clarify a couple of things for the benefit of our future visitors.

1.- We are indeed a Landmark (Historic) Building, there is a picture of 1920's in our fanpage in Facebook and our building was already here in that year and that's the charm of being here, to enjoy the raw nature of our culture just in the heart of Old San Juan.

Yes we are not fancy but what we do have is a great location for being in Old San Juan, a clean, quite, peaceful and affordable rooms plus a great service oriented staff (Front Desk and Housekeeping) to help you in all your needs.

2.- In order to maximize guest experience our Air Conditioning is always turned on by our staff to assure quality of service and not expose to our guest to any inconvenience inside the room.

3.- To enhance the tropical ambience, some fragrance is always added to the room. We apologize if we caused you any inconvenience with your allergy symptoms but next time please go directly to any of our friendly front desk staff to assist you in the best way we can.

4.- Our prices are always affordable from $93.00 (Interior Single Bed, NO WINDOW, 1 Person) up to $218.00 (King Bed, Single Bed & Sofa Bed with Window, 4 Persons) including Taxes. But at this very moment and up to Dec 15, 2012, we have an amazing offer of 40% OFF in an Interior Queen Bed Room (2 persons), NO WINDOW for just $69.00 + 9% Tax, normally this room cost $115.00 + 9% Tax.

5.- Upgrade is always available upon request. We have bigger room (Suites Plus) 24' X 13' = 312 sqt.feet and (Suite King) 24' X 11' = 264 sqt.feet. So you are invited to stay in any of them for your comfort if your airline miles allow you to do so.

We assure you Ronnie that Hotel Plaza De Armas is the best value for your money due to the LOCATION and the most friendly staff in Old San Juan area.

We hope to have the opportunity to serve you again. Please call us for your next stay and I will personally see that everything will be up to your expectations.

Reviewed September 20, 2012

We stayed here one night before our cruise, and we really liked it. Hotel is small, but clean, cute, comfortable beds, everything is clean, service is nice. We liked the location of it. Across the street there was a cathedral church, beautiful area to walk, beautiful streeets. We would stay here again.

Room Tip: higher floor with a balcony
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Yelena B
LuisGarzon, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Plaza De Armas Old San Juan, responded to this reviewResponded September 22, 2012

It's a great honor for all of us Yelena that you have taking the time to make a review about your last staying at Hotel Plaza de Armas Old San Juan.

Our room has 13' x 11' = 143 sq.feet wich is a little wider than the average room in this area.
However we have bigger room (Suites Plus) 24' X 13' = 312 sqt.feet and (Suite King) 24' X 11' = 264 sqt.feet. So you are invited to stay in any of them for your comfort.

Yes indeed, Yelena we are in a completely unique location that highlights spectacular views of the Plaza De Armas and puts you mere cobblestones away from 16th century Spanish fortresses, fascinating museums, art galleries, restaurants and world-class shopping.

Next time you come here Yelena, I hope to have the opportunity to serve you again. I will personally take care of all your needs when you come back.

Reviewed September 11, 2012

I just came back from a 3 day stay at the hotel and I am pleased. First, the location is great! Although we had a rental car, parking in Old San Juan on the streets is not ideal but we did find a parking lot within 4 blocks of the hotel and parked there overnight for around $8 a day. There is a grocery store, Walgreen and shopping all within a block of the hotel. The hotel itself, is old but it was nice. The room was small, had no windows(which I was aware of), had no phone service but it is suitable for a short stay. The room was nice and cool, but the common area of the hotel is not air conditioned. There is a nice restaurant in the lobby and breakfast was pretty good. I only have one compliant, the towels in the room. For some reason, they don't have adequate towels in the room and the towels they had were hard/old. We had one face towel, one slightly larger towel and 3 body towels. Everyday we had to ask for more face towels. I think hotel towels should be replaced after so many uses or they give you that itchy feeling.The hotel manager Mr Luis was a star...he was very helpful and addressed any concern I had promptly. The other staff members were nice as well. I would and will come back if we are staying for a short period.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AZB23
LuisGarzon, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Plaza De Armas Old San Juan, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2012

Thanks a lot Mrs. AZB23 for taking the time to make a review about our Hotel Plaza De Armas.

We are very pleased reading your review and I assure you that we will continue offering a satisfying experience to all of our friends, because that is what we become to us "FRIEND" at the time you enter to our hotel.

The majority of the hotels in Old San Juan don't have a parking so everybody who rents a car use
either the one you took or a state parking lot "La Puntilla" where is even cheaper for dropping the car ($1.30 the first hour and $0.30 the next hours).

The hotel is located in the "Heart Of Old San Juan" and everything is just walking distance from our location.

We are indeed a Landmark Building, I just saw a picture of 1920's and our building was there but that's the charm of being here, to enjoy the raw nature of our culture just in the heart of Old San Juan.

About the towels an urgent meetings were held with the entire staff and they received additional training in maintaining the standards which we have set for our Hotel Plaza De Armas. This includes proper cleaning and also proper supplies being in the room.

I personally thank you Mrs. AZB23 for the words you write about our staff and we hope to see you as soon as you plan your next vacation to Puerto Rico.

We hope to have the opportunity to serve you again. I will personally take care of all your needs when you come back.

Reviewed September 11, 2012

My name is Tyrome Baisden and the wonderful staff at Hotel Plaza De Armas allowed me to check in super early into my room because my flight got here earlier than I planned! Today is Tuesday sept 11 and the stay has already started off great! I see this place is going to be one of my fav hotels to lounge at while I am in town. This is my first time in San Juan PR & so far Hotel Plaza De Armas Staff is making the stay pleasurable. Thanks and stay tuned for my review after my trip is ove!

Room Tip: Staff is excellent
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Tyrome B

It has being a great pleasure to all of us Tyrome to have you here at Hotel Plaza De Armas as our friend.

I must thank you for sharing with other the amazing experience you have enjoyed since the very begining of your stay with us.

We are very pleased reading your review and I assure you that we will continue offering a satisfying experience to all of our friends.

I'm pretty sure Tyrome that when your vacation is over you would desire to stay more days with us.

Reviewed August 27, 2012

I have just come back from SanJuan. I stayed for 3 nights and I had a wonderful time there.
Firstly, Staff was very nice and helpful! Althogh I made a mistake for my reservation date, they kindly found me a room and leted me to stay all three days in the same room. I can not thank you enogh to staff, especially manager Mr. Luis.
The room was small and and a litlle bit old but very clean. The location of the hotel is great, easy acsess to everywhere. What I loved was the restaurant in the hotel `Blue Bistro`. A lot of local people come to have lunch dinner there. Everything, drink, food dessert, was just amazing.
I will stay this hotel again, when I get next chance to visit San Juan.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank jamjamjam511
LuisGarzon, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Plaza De Armas Old San Juan, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2012

We are more than grateful JamJam, that you take the time out of your schedule to make a review about your staying at Hotel Plaza De Armas Old san Juan.

It's our mission that your experience with us is more than satisfying.

Yes indeed, we are in a completely unique location that highlights spectacular views of the Plaza De Armas and puts you mere cobblestones away from 16th century Spanish fortresses, fascinating museums, art galleries, restaurants and world-class shopping.

Our principal mission is to take care of every guest as if they were home. I'm sure JamJam that you will be with us as soon as you can. Thanks for mention the detail your reservation.. This is the way we want to satisfy any need that our guest may have.

The majority of our rooms are interior one but we do have bigger Suites Room with French Balcony. If you have book any interior room you can request an upgrade for an affordable cost.

Yes, we are old (1900) but as you mention that's the interesting part being in an old building but restyle according to the new tendency.

All our staff are trained constantly to be service oriented so guest can feel confortable to ask anything they might need with the certanty that they will be pleased on their requirement.

Next time JamJam when you plan to visit us please drop me a call at 787-722-9191 and I personally will take care of your needs.

It will be awesome to serve you when you come back.

Reviewed August 26, 2012

In 1 word perfect to explore San Juan, pending your date to go on board any cruise, that starts in this beautifull town!
We couldn't get a better place for a good price.
All you need is in walking distance!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank JeMa V
LuisGarzon, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Plaza De Armas Old San Juan, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2012

A trillion thanks Jema V for taking the time to make a review about Hotel Plaza De Armas.

I'm really excited for reading that your experience with us was more than satisfying.

All the time we try to meet the needs of each and every guest we serve and always try to exceed their expectations in order to make their stay as pleasant and comfortable as possible.

I would like to let you know that your feedback is very important to us.

Your feedback help us to improve our service and property on a daily basis. It's our goal that any comment or issues that could be present during your stay are going to be addressed in a proper way.

Next time you come here I hope to have the opportunity to serve you again. I will personally take care of all your needs when you come back.

Reviewed August 25, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for two nights during our week in Puerto Rico and had a great time. The staff was so nice and helpful, they went out of there both times we checked in and out to help us. The rooms are small but clean and simple, loved the location of the hotel, close to everything, once we parked we did not use the care again till we were leaving. Parking in the city was a bit tricky but we managed, the bistro in the hotel has excellent food and coffee, will be back, thank you

Room Tip: lower level is best if possible, elevator can be slow
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank trippinroundeurope

Billy! ! It's really a great pleasure for Hotel Plaza De Armas that you have taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us.

We are more than glad reading you spent a wonderful time with us.

We send people for parking their car to the most affordable place we have here in Old San Juan:
"La Puntilla Parking Lot". It start at $1.10 the first hour and then just $0.30 the next hours. It's an open municipality parking lot. If you follow the instructions from our friendly staff you won't have any trouble finding it.

The people from the Bistro (A Concessionary) next to the Lobby are magician in the kitchen and the food they prepare are marvelous..

Our elevator is a Lula type which means that can not be a more modern one because of our historic characteristic. It allows 4 people or 1,200 pound. Besides we have people for helping guest with their luggages at all time.

It will be awesome to serve you when you come back. Please when calling for your next reservation, ask for me and I will personally assist you.