“Great Stay!”

Ranked #14 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great Stay!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2012

I booked a room at the Coral Princess for 3 nights after reading reviews on this site.

Initially I was worried that there wouldn't be parking but that wasn't a problem at all. I used the free parking right in front of the hotel. The lobby itself smelled divine and was very nice. After checking in you walk through the outside corridor filled with plants and flowers.

I booked an economy room but I think they gave me a larger one if you look at the pictures I'm posting. The room itself was spacious and clean. The bathroom was great and the tub had jets for the bath.

I come to Puerto Rico for work and to visit family and I will definitely be staying here again! If you've never been to PR and you want to stay near San Juan - this is a great location as Condado is safe and has all of the resorts. It's about a ten minute drive to Old San Juan.

Room Tip: If you have a room on the first floor near the continental breakfast you can sometimes hear talking...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank bella710

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
CT
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2012

My husband and I stayed here during the first few days of our vacation to be close to his family and we enjoyed our stay. It's an INN folks and you cannot expect the luxuries of a five star hotel! It was clean, staff was very friendly, great free breakfast, and close to all shopping and restaurants in the Condado area. Beach is just a walk away. So if you want the great experience of a smaller hotel, this is it....

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank DeeP23
chicago
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2012

When we arrived, we were shown our room - the smallest, and only room without any window - per the floor plan on the door. We asked for another room, and were shown a better one with window. The interiors are newer, comfortable and clean. Staff was very friendly and helpful. The breakfast was just passable, you can get better food elsewhere. There is a hot tub on the roof deck and nice terrace and planters at street level. There is a lounge and 24/7 coffee available. The location, in the Condado area, was on a quiet street, and easy walking distance to the shopping area, coastline and across the bridge is Old San Juan, walkable but does take some time. If you have rental car, you can find parking within a few blocks, but it's not easy. I would recommend this place for a good value and the roof deck.

Room Tip: Make sure you confirm your room is not the one w/o the window, on the first floor.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank pantone808
Burlington, Vermont
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2012

Overall this hotel is perhaps best for its location and its price. We booked our room through hotels.com and wondered if they reserve the smallest room they have for that offer (or if they saw that we had backpacks and gave us that room). It was literally the size of the bed and not much more, a tiny dresser and then a reasonably sized bathroom. But it really didn't matter; it was the last leg of our honeymoon and we were going into Old San Juan every day, basically just back in the room to sleep. The breakfast was ok, nothing special but we did like the machine serving juice and the one serving coffee and hot cocoa. The third floor hot tub and first floor dive pool are decent and the third floor sitting areas are really nice. We walked to Old San Juan (about an hour) and the bus probably would've only taken 15 minutes but we were there during San Sebastien so it was crazy busy. Still, it is significantly cheaper than other options and was clean and good. The hotel staff was also extremely helpful and pleasant. I'd recommend it but just know what you're getting yourself into.

Room Tip: Try to get a larger room -- it's clear there are some bigger ones, do try and get something more...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Pablo B
Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2012

We stayed at the Coral Princess hotel for one night on our way to and from British Virgin Islands (two nights total) in October of 2010. The staff was excellent, very friendly and very helpful assisting us with our needs (arranging taxi rides, dinner suggestions, etc.). It was a $17 taxi ride from the airport and took anywhere from 10-30 minutes depending on traffic.
The hotel itself was not that nice. The room was a little cramped and definitely needed a little better cleaning. The pool was pretty small and the whirlpool and lounge chairs on the roof could have used some better cleaning as well. As others have said, the location was a bit on the edge of a not so nice neighborhood which required buzzing in through the front door as well as a protective fence around the property. Though the surrounding area seemed dodgy, it is only a half block from a main drag with lots of places to eat and shop as well as the beach.
On our return trip we were booked into a room that had some black “dust bunnies” all over the place as well as quite a bit of hair on the bed and floor. I think the A/C unit just needed to be cleaned as it was the source of the dust bunnies but it was spewing them all over the room. We notified the front desk of the situation and they promptly moved us to a different room which was in the same condition as the first time we stayed (reasonably clean) and apologized profusely.
The included continental breakfast was nothing special but was good enough for us; pastries, fruit, juices, etc.
The price was one of the better ones we found and was in the lower middle of the pack and after reading reviews on Trip Advisor more expensive hotels had similar problems to those described above. Our main issue was the cleanliness. I think if they would give rooms a more thorough cleaning we could have given it 4/5 rating. And although the surrounding location was a little suspect, we never felt unsafe at all. If we return to San Juan we will try a different hotel.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank malikimkr
New York, NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2011

My first impression on this hotel was that is was cute. I liked the third floor roof deck and little patio off the second floor. They were very peaceful and unique hide-away. It was also nice that there was a kitchen and pool table available.

However, upon taking a closer look around our room, I noticed that both the bedroom and bathroom curtains had a fair amount of mold on them, a wash cloth in the bathroom had a blood stain on it and the white comforter on the bed was also stained.

It was also incredibly noisy and we were not even facing the street. Some of the other reviews remarked about the rooms being very small. Ours was a deluxe king, and it was a decent size. Big enough to accomadate the king size bed and the pack-and-play we requested for our baby.

The location was good and very close to the beach. And the price was very reasonable. However, I would probably not stay here again given the noise and the filth.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2011

I spent 7 nights at the Coral Princess and absolutely recommend it. Close to the beach, food, and entertainment, also walking distance to Santruce where there are two Art Museums to visit. Also walking distance to Ocean park area (1.5) miles where there are a few nice places to dine and entertain.,The hotel is located in a safe area for sure, not once was I "a worried traveler" !!

The staff was very very very helpful and full of suggestions on how to make my stay more enjoyable.
The complimentary breakfast was perfect and more than enough to get you going for the day, with hard boiled eggs, ham, croissants, cereal, fruit, oatmeal, juice, toast, coffee, all was excellent.

Very clean and comfortable rooms, small cable t.v., free internet (great signal), safe in the room as well as a desk. and parking for 4 cars in front, If that lot is full than you can either find street non metered parking or have 24 access in a paid lot for $13.00 a night, one block away. Jacuzzi tub and nice shower.

I can not stress how nice the staff was, even before I arrived they would email me back with my questions answered immediately. I will ONLY stay here next time I go to Puerto Rico. Just email me if you have any questions.

Room Tip: I had room 9 and it was quiet and on the ground floor.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo