“A small hotel in the middle of Condado” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Coral Princess Hotel

Coral Princess Hotel
Ranked #14 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
Cabo Rojo, Puerto Rico
“A small hotel in the middle of Condado”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2011

The small rooms are small, very small, but the price is much lower than the other brand name hotels, and you are near everything in Condado. Great if your attending a conference and don't want to pay the resort prices. Continental breakfast, but there are plenty of restaurants near by.

Room Tip: ask for local rate, if they offer the small room, remember it is small, no table, chair, desk, just...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2011

If you are planning a PR vacation where you will be spending the majority of your time away from the hotel, the Coral Princess is a very nice, clean, and classy-feeling place to hang your hat at night in between your day trips/excursions. If you're looking for a "deluxe" hotel experience where you'll be spending lots of time on the premesis, look elsewhere.
Pros:
Clean & classy- marble floors, etc (see promo photos). Rooms are very nice, but small.
Staff was friendly and accommodating (our room was VERY small, we asked if there was anything bigger, and since it was off-season/not busy, they put us in the next size up and didn't charge us extra. Probably won't happen every time though)
Free continental breakfast and free 24-hr juice & coffee machines. (don't expect all that much from the continental breakfast though)
Good location, safe neighborhood, close enough to airport and Old San Juan. 24-hour Walgreens right around the corner.

Cons:
The "complimentary wireless internet" was a let down. Might have been a fluke, but none of the available networks had strong enough signals for us to connect to from the room. Staff said it was because of the weather, and we should just go to the common area where the routers are.
Rooms are small- FYI if you book the "Double" (i.e. cheapest) room, the room itself is barely bigger than the bed.
Maid service is great at cleaning the rooms, not so great at replacing/restocking things like soap, shampoo, etc.
TVs in the room are pretty small
Parking is interesting...there are 4 free spots at the hotel that are first come first serve. If those are full, there is a $13 per-24 hours lot within walking distance. Make sure to have the hotel validate your parking ticket.

Room Tip: Go for a queen size room or bigger. Double-size room is TINY
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Joe S
Winter Park, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2011

I am not a tourist in PR, and I fly there to visit my father- which means I am looking for a safe,clean, budget friendly place to stay during those trips. As usual I read plenty of reviews before making the decision to book 4 nights at Coral Princess. One of the reviewers mentioned that there were no dead bolts on the doors and his girlfriend had been afraid the first night. But since the property has a buzzer to let people in, I felt no major concern with the comment. Well, my room was on the 2nd floor between the stairs and an open door that gave access to a terrace. It made me feel a bit unsafe especially because mine was the only room on that portion of the wall. I went to sleep the first night and maybe 15 minutes later; my room door was suddenly opened from the outside. The only thing that held it from being ajar was the chain. I almost had a heart attack…I screamed!!The door was closed again from the outside and I jumped out of my bed, made myself a bit presentable and went to the front desk- literally SHAKING.
The front desk clerk was a very young girl who said that it was her who opened the door by mistake. All she said was that she started sweating – but no apology or acknowledgement from her part. I asked why she didn’t say anything; at least an explanation / apology through the door would have made a big difference. As a frequent traveler, I take the time to sing praises to front desk staff that shines and makes a difference during my stay, but in this case…I was dumbfounded. After the incident, I requested a room with more activity around it, and she gave me a room on the 1st floor, close to the main lobby entrance and it was an upgrade from my original room. But this experience showed me a lack of people skills to handle an unexpected situation and the need for more training for this particular staff member. The two other attendees were extremely professional, seasoned people who showed me the true character of Coral Princess during check in, inquiries and check out. Will I go back to Coral Princess? Not sure based on lack of dead bolts- since I always travel solo to PR. But if you want a property right in the middle of Condado, super clean, with breakfast and common areas to relax plus mini bar in every room, then give it a try. It is a well kept property with comfy beds but small rooms –keep in mind it is a boutique hotel.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Viajera048
Philadephia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2011

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for both pre and post cruise accomodations. It is in a good central Condado location with access to a 24 hr Walgreens and the beach. It is a block behind the La Concha hotel. Our pre-cruise booking was a queen sized room - room 4. It was small, but nicely furnished with a good sized fridge. Upon our return, we were upgraded to a king room - room 17. This was a courtesy by the hotel for us as we were returning guests. Spend the extra money for a king room as you will have much more space. The rooms were painted a soft yellow. They had marble floors and a marble bathroom. The furnishings were modern. The garden and pool was greatly appreciated. There were orchids blooming in the garden and they were lovely. We took advantage of the complimentary beverages of many fruit juices and coffee all day long. I recommend that the hotel look into putting a box of tissues as a part of the bathroom amenities and add a curtain valence to "warm up" the room space. The window coverings left alot to be desired making a nice space feel arid and blank. Plus, they appear dirty. It was the staff that causes me to give this hotel the excellent rating. Nicole at the front desk is a treasure. She went the extra mile - well above the call of duty in recommending and assisting in booking the Bio bay excursion which was fantastic, arranging to contact our airline when we were having problems with our room phone and cell, and just general friendliness. She said she was "just doing her job." I beg to differ. I work in customer service and I recognize a professional committment to service and exceeding expectations. There was a middle aged gentleman whose name I didn't get who worked the front desk also who was fantastic as well. He recommended the Cafe Angel for a good, inexpensive Puerto Rican meal and offered to take us to the Baccardi facility as he was picking up another couple of guests there. He was kind and helpful. Both of these employees deserve recognition for their efforts to make our stay a pleasant one, and I thank them for that! The Condado area has seen some hard times. It is no longer as up-scale as Isla Verde, but for location and proximity to Viejo San Juan without staying in, and paying the prices for hotels in Old San Juan - THIS hotel cannot be beaten.

Room Tip: Book a King room for extra space.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2011

I stayed at the Coral Princess from Aug. 27th -Sept.5th 2011 with my parents, husband and 2 year old son. The hotel was small but cozy, our room was spacious, clean and comfortable and the staff were friendly and attentive. In the wake of hurricane Irene the hotel was hit and had lost power but they had back up generators and that made a huge difference. The WiFi in each room was a huge plus and when we didn't have plans, Luis helped us coordinate a trip to El Yunque with a local tourism company. At that point I liked the hotel very much but I really appreciated it most when I lost my cell phone on the tour and called the front desk of the hotel to get the info of the company. Nicole sprung into action and contacted the company which she had to call back and forth but eventually she was able to get my phone back! Such excellent service and she went out of her way to help which was amazing. I recommend this hotel highly not so much because of the accommodations which were fine, but because of their exemplary staff.

Room Tip: Individual rooms can be pricey here so ask for a room with 2 beds ...We saved over $800 doing so!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Hagerstown
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2011

My wife and I stayed here 2 nights pre-cruise. We really enjoyed the hotel and the staff. We stayed in the Penthouse Executive King. The room has a decent view, is very clean, and the bed is comfortable. The hotel is very close to the beach, restaurants, and shops.

Room Tip: I called the hotel directly and got a great rate.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Woodbury, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2011

We were nervous at first with this hotel since the entry way was not big, and we thought it smelled a little musty. We were greeted with wonderful staff that knew who we were and had everything ready for us to go check in. They were able to give us great recommendations on food and the beach. We went us to our rooms, they were simple but clean. The space they have is limited, but they have done such an amazing job making it look nice for their guests. There are gardens all over the property. We thought it was quiet, but that also could have been because we had the air conditioner running during the night. Their breakfast was amazing! We were expecting rolls and bad coffee. They had an amazing spread of rolls, meats cheeses, eggs, waffles, hot cocoa, espresso, coffee, lattes, fruit, cereal........It was great! The next morning, we left our bags with the staff in their office and came back hours later. They welcomed us back, let us use their restrooms-even though we had checked out, and called us a taxi. They were very friendly and very customer service oriented. No strange bills or additions to our bill that we weren't aware of. I would go back for sure!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends