“Just okay.....”

Ranked #20 of 48 Hotels in San Juan
Maryland
“Just okay.....”
Reviewed April 9, 2005

Stayed at the Excelsior from March 24-March 27 and I must say the reviews on this site where exactly what I experienced. The hotel is in the middle of MAJOR construction just as everyone warns….I couldn’t even tell where was the entrance. The customer service was average. The room...well it was a room. The walls between the rooms are paper-thin. The guy next door's TV kept me up the first night, the second night it was the kids across the hall, and the third night it was the guy next door again except this time he kept flushing the toilet a dozen times. Considering the price of the hotel, it was not that bad. Forget about the pool. It is SO tiny.
There is a bus stop not even 1 block away that will take you to Condado beach or Old San Juan for just 25 cents. Once you get to Old San Juan there is a trolley which will take you all around Old San Juan for FREE. I recommended renting a car and venturing away from San Juan. I visited El Yunque, Luquillo Beach, Fajardo, and Seven Seas. Beware when driving around….the streets can be tricky and confusing. One wrong turn and it could take a while to figure your way back. I took another persons advice and I visited the facilities at the Caribe Hilton. We went unnoticed and relaxed on their hammocks and lounge chairs. There is also a Starbucks in their lobby!
Overall it was an okay experience and recommend staying at the Excelsior if all you need is a bed to rest at night.

• Stayed March 2005
4 Thank MiamiBride

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
Reviewed March 29, 2005

After reading some of the reviews about Hotel Excelsior, I began to worry. I got this hotel through Priceline, at $110.00 per night. Believe you me it's not worth $50.00 a night. Thankfully it was a pre-cruise (one night) hotel, March 19, 2005, unitl we sailed away into the sunset the next day. When we arrived at the hotel, I knew immediately that we were not in a good neighborhood. The hotel is a total mess with construction going on inside and outside. We waited about 20 minutes to check-in. The time was 2:40 P.M. Check-in time was 3:00 P.M. They would not allow us to check-in 20 minutes before the 3:00 P.M. check-in time. We wanted to have lunch, so we asked if they could hold our luggage until we came back from lunch, no problem there. Went to lunch, about a block away from the hotel, sleezy neighborhood. After lunch, we decided to go into a souveneir store that was about 2 doors away from "Subway", we had to be buzzed into the store, after being checked out by the lady behind the counter, now doesn't that tell you something? Went back to the hotel, now it's after 3:00 P.M. After waiting another 20 minutes to retrieve our luggage from the basement, we finally settled into the room. The room was clean. Check-out the next day was another disaster. After 3 phone calls to the front desk, it took one hour and five minutes for the bell guy to come and get our luggage. Don't waste your money on this place, stay at any other hotel. I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone. Never again. The only thing good about this hotel was the French Bistro restaurant, excellent food. Ate there because we didn't want to venture out at night in this neighborhood.

• Stayed March 2005
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 24, 2005

A couple of my friends and myself with my kids stayed at that Hotel on the 1st week of July of 2004. When we got there I was only thinking of the reviews and people concerns about this Hotel. Our first concern was where we're going to find a parking, cause there's no place for you to park the car! And we ask one of the guys that worked there and we told us that he will park the car for us, until we booked our room.
When we got in the ladies in the front desk who took care of us were very friendly and helpful!!! I asked them to gives us a room away from the elevators, cause I read in a couple of reviews that they were complaining that the elevators makes too much noise....But of course I didn't mention that to them! So then, we were on our way to see the rooms. The rooms that we had one of them had a rug "which it was a plus for me", the other one had tiles and a small kitchen "which I didn't had but didn't care cause I wasn't planning to cook in there", both of them had a two Queen Beds, the room had already the air condition on "so it was nice and cool", the bathroom were clean and so was the entire room!
So we were all thinking "Is not that bad so far..."Then we asked for extra towels and blankets and they provided that to us in a timely matter. The night came and there weren't people making noises. In the next morning I noticed that they were constructing a building or a parking lot next to the Hotel, but again I didn't here any loud noise or had any inconvenience...
It was very good and the price was not that bad at all! To get the best price for that place go to hotels, that's where we found this place and very cheap!!!
The beach is just a few miles away, restaurant are close, parks, gas station and a mini markets for your needs is around the corner from there!
If you are looking for something "Fancy" or "Modern Rooms" then get something else, this place wouldn't be for you!
But if you are just looking for a place to sleep, not to hang in there and really enjoy the beauty and adventures of Puerto Rico, then stay in there and you would feel comfortable!
We all had a great experience and time on our stay at the Hotel Excelsior!

• Stayed July 2004
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 11, 2005

Place is a total mess. Construction going on, elevator not working, rooms not clean. Even the cabdriver who took us there just shook his head.

• Stayed February 2005
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
riverdale
Reviewed March 7, 2005

Stayed a week with wife and 2 kids (6 and 11 mo.). Nice room in the back with small kitchenette. As noted alot of construction going on. If they do the interior also hotel will get more stars.
Pool is Ok in a pinch. It gets all shade until late afternoon. Connected to Paris Bistro Cafe which serves breakfast on the pool patio. Great for kids.
The hotel, on Ponce De leon Ave. is not within walking disstance of the main strip of the Condado but is only a 10 minute walk to The Caribe Hilton (over an entrance to main Hwy and past construction next to Lagoon). We used the Caribe's facilties evry day and no one hassled us.
In conclusion, if you want to be a little off the beaten path but save money at a friendly hotel..Excelsior Ok

• Stayed February 2005
3 Thank stockarb
Reviewed February 25, 2005

The Hotel was recently purchased and with new owners you could already see the changes being made. The end result is very promising so I encourage anyone who is looking for an economical hotel rate to check-in the Excelsior.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member