“Nice small business hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Miramar

Hotel Miramar
Ranked #16 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
New Delhi, India
“Nice small business hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

A nicely located small hotel. Walking distance from Puerto Rico Convention Center at San Juan. Nice big rooms with friendly staff at the front desk. A grocery store is few yards away in case you plan to stay longer. Not a convenient location in case you plan to be in Old San Juan city. Value for money!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Des Moines, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

Usually I don't write reviews, but we just got back from this hotel yesterday and I had to let others know what a wonderful hotel this is. First of all, for the price you can't beat it. It is a short walk to the Condado district and very close to Old San Juan. I called down a week prior to our arrival and Martin got our rain forest tour booked for me over the phone and was very helpful in helping me plan our week out, as none of us had ever been to San Juan. I felt our experience was a little different because we were traveling with my 9 year old daughter who is severely autistic and the staff at this hotel bent over backwards to make sure I had everything I needed for her and offered me a variety of suggestions on different activities that she might enjoy. They also spoke directly too her, not around her as most people do. The room was simple, but absolutely immaculate. There were five of us and we had two rooms...rooms 201 and 202 and I'll tell you, I challenge anyone to find a speck of dirt anywhere...and I don't have the most tidy children in the world. Everyone at this hotel is super friendly from the housekeepers, to all of the front desk staff. The beach is really close so I didn't mind not having a pool...the kids always wanted to go to the beach anyway and didn't even ask about a pool. The front desk staff will provide you with beach towels and provided us with beach towels when we went on the rain forest tour as well. They were also very helpful in pointing us to the night life, as my brother and I wanted to go out. We loved it there so much that my brother is having us celebrate his 37th birthday in San Juan and 14 of us will be coming back down and booking at the Miramar...you really can't find a better spot, especially for the price...it really is in the middle of everything. I saw one review that said there were bugs...there are no bugs...like anywhere! This hotel is immaculate. I am very happy I didn't book at the Marriott like we planned to because it definitely isn't worth the money. We got such a personal and homey feeling here we weren't ready to leave after 5 days. We did spend our whole vacation here with two young children, again one who is a severely autistic 9 year old and they couldn't do enough for us to make our stay pleasant. Unfortunately, we didn't try the restaurant, but the rooftop deck is beautiful. Also, this is a very safe neighborhood. I didn't feel unsafe at ANY point in time, whether it was 12pm or 12 am. We will definitely be back and had a wonderful vacation thanks to their staff. Martin and Iris were so awesome, they felt like part of the family by the time we left:)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Kelly S
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I stayed there for 3 night and enjoyed it. Nice roof top terrace, Friendly staff, clean rooms, only downside_ no balcony. The breakfast is quite nice and reasonably priced if not included. The Air-condition in the brekky room is far too cold. No coffee making facilities in the room are also a bit on the downside. But overall very good experience and friendly, helpful staff

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We recently stayed at the Hotel Miramar in san Juan, Puerto Rico for one night precruise. It was a $15 cab ride from the airport. When we arrived the Orkin man was waiting at the front desk to be paid. I didn't see any bugs which I did read about on others reviews here.

We had a quiet room #207 with an uncomfortable queen sized bed which was like sleeping on a box spring, a microwave, & somewhat cool refrigerator for which we paid $109 + $5 +20% tax for a total of $136.89 which included breakfast at the connected 606 Bistro. For what we paid the room was an OK deal I guess. The room was clean but had a smell I really cannot pinpoint(maybe the spray from the Orkin man?). The hotel has free Wi-Fi but it's spotty at best. Took forever just to read & send a couple of e-mails.

The hotel staff were friendly and helpful with directions. There is a grocery store one block away which was nice for picking up a $8 bottle of Moscato wine, a 12 pk of Disanni water ($3.49) and 6PK Modeleo beer ($4.69) for drinking on the roof top balcony. The balcony had an OK view but it looks nothing like the pics posted here on trip advisor. We also picked up several packages of inexpensive Puerto Rican brick coffee ($5.29) at the Los Pinos grocery.

We had the included breakfast at Bistro 606 I had 2 scrambled eggs, toast, bacon, and a glass of OJ. My wife had the same except for having 2 eggs over easy. This was included in the price of the hotel stay. We each ordered a Latte which we understood we would be responsible to pay additional for. We were the only 2 people in the bistro at aprox. 9AM on a Saturday. It took 20 minutes to be waited on and another 45 minutes to get our food. The Lattes we ordered never arrived. We finally just walked out as several other guests were then waiting. It was clear to us that the staff at this so called "Bistro" couldn't care less about us. We walked 1 block and a half to the Los Pinos Cafe & shared a Hisnanic breakfast omlette & had a Cappicino and a latte for $10. We should has skipped the "Bistro 606" all together but it was included so we tried it. Lesson learned. Our ship wasn't sailing until *:30 PM so we were in no hurry but really didn't enjoy sitting in the 606 for over an hour.

The local bus stop a block in the opposite direction of the grocery took you to old San Juan for .75 per person. That was a great deal as the cabs were $15. You will need exact change as the bus driver does not make change and does not take bills. We split a ride to the cruise port with 2 other couples and it was $5 each. So if you are looking for a budget hotel with minimal ammenities this place will do but skip the Bistro 606.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Thomas B
North Liberty, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

We chose this hotel because it was between the pier and the airport. We had just been on a cruise and our flight home was the next day. The room was clean, had a comfortable bed, and a big bathroom. It also had a microwave and fridge. There was not a pool but the roof top had lounge chairs and picnic tables so you could sit up there to enjoy the view and take great pictures of the town. If you wanted to go to Old San Juan, there was a bus stop across the street and the fare was only 75 cents. It is not a place that I would suggest to spend your whole vacation but as a stop over, it worked out well.

Room Tip: The higher floors near the roof top deck would be the best.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

This rooms were a good size. Even though I was one person, I had 2 beds and a good sized bathroom. The in-room fridge was a nice touch since I was there for a week, I could keep water and snacks. My only complaint was that there was no internet in the room. The hotel said I was too far away from the elevator to get internet, so I ended up working in the lobby when I couldn't avoid it. It was a bit annoying, but it was a decent price, so overall I was happy.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

We chose this hotel due to the location near before and after a cruise out of San Juan. The hotel is very nice and reasonalbly priced and within walking distance to beaches. Martin the front desk clerk was very helpful with information on getting around and ideas on spending the afternoon. They do not have a pool but they have a wonderful roof top deck with a great view. The rooms were clean, roomy & nice with microwave and fridge. I would stay here again when I return to San Juan.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple