“What a deal!”

Ranked #19 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
San Francisco, Ca
“What a deal!”
Reviewed January 8, 2012

I read some of the reviews and decided to give it a try. I arrived by taxi to the hotel with no problems whatsoever. It was only a 10 minute ride. The hotel is located in an okay, but geographically weird area. Why, you ask? Well, it's situated near the off ramp of a divided street which makes it very unsafe to cross and very tight quarter to unload your baggage.

The parking lots if very small and narrow, so if you have a rental car you can almost be assured that you will not get parking in the parking lot. You may be lucky a block or so away. But that wasn't a big deal for us because we only rented a car for a day.

The hotel lobby is rather small so you are constantly bumping into other people, but the staff is friendly and very helpful. They helped guide me into town by providing me the information to get the bus to go into `old San Juan. It's super easy and only .50 0r .75 cents to ride. It was about a 15 to 20 min ride. Most everyone doesn't speak English or at least not well so if you are shaky with your Spanish, bring a phrase book. I am okay with my Spanish and still managed to get lost an 1 hour out of my way. Everyone that I asked mainly spoke to me in Spanish but were very friendly and helped me to get back to the hotel. So no worries.

Down the street from the hotel, [to the right] 1.5 blocks was a post office and a local grocery store. Across the street there is a restaurant that stayed open pretty late in the evenings. Of course right across the street there is a lagoon that some of the locals swim in. It wasn't the cleanest . . .

OK, onward to the hotel room: I was pleasantly surprised at how clean and modern the hotel was. My room was on the 4th floor and faced the lagoon. There was a flat screen tv, 2 double beds, safe, mini fridge, and microwave. The bathroom was a little small, but very clean. It also had a window that opened up for fresh air. The closets were a little dumpy but who cares. It served it's purpose and everything else worked just great!

I got to use the washer machine to wash clothes, but `i can't remember if there was a fee or not. If there was, it was a nominal charge. I remember seeing a work out room, but of course I never worked out. I've traveled so much since then, some of the details in my mind get mixed together. Now, I just checked out some of the pix of others who enjoyed a roof top meal. Well, heck I surely don't remember that. But that's okay because I got the room for $50 a night and that was totally within my budget!!!

As for the back of the lobby, there is free wi-fi. There is only one computer so your time is limited, but everyone is pretty respectful of usage. To the side of the lobby there is a kitchen area where we missed many of the breakfasts, but managed to eat cereal one of those days.

All in all, I have to say this was a super sweet deal!!! Make sure to rent a car and drive around some parts of the island. We went to the observation point, and then to the El Yunque. We played at the beach ate great inexpensive food, and meet some Americans along the way.

I can't wait to go again... who's in??

Room Tip: choose a room with a flat screen tv facing the lagoon, beautiful view. The kids activities were not...
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
7 Thank Centella9

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Perrysburg, Ohio, United States
Reviewed January 5, 2012

We had a fabulous time in San Juan and stayed at the Hotel Miramar. It was very close to the airport. Bus stop near hotel took us into Old San Juan and staff was very helpful in giving us ideas for daytrips and good local restaurants (some within walking distance) The hotel was very fresh, clean & updated with some spanish antiques and flair. We thought the rooms were very spacious and our toddler was very comfortable. We thought this hotel had the best rates in town!!! Cute restaurant downstairs served us a quick breakfast in the morning and had a pleasant aura. We were a little dissapointment with the extremely laid back almost absent waiter during breakfast but we figured he was probably tired from working a night shift up the street. Had a great time & would recommend to friends and family !!!

Room Tip: My advise to everyone traveling -- you get farther with sugar than viniger. Treat the staff how you...
1 Thank Susan B
Leiden
Reviewed January 3, 2012

This hotel is conveniently located at the edge of a residential area, near a shopping street and in walking distance from the convention centre.
The rooms are quite, have free internet access. The hotel staff is very friendly.
Breakfast is served in a small room, a la carte; it is cheap and of reasonable quality.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not too close to the elevator and at floor 2 or 3.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank iccc
Ontario ,Canada
Reviewed December 26, 2011

Not only is this Hotel in a sketchy neighborhood but their attitude is terrible. After I booked an ocean view ( overtop of some rundown buildings ) room that the manger said had a pullout couch I was told that my young daughter couldn't sleep on it. I was forced late at night to rent a 2nd room ! Just to make things ridiculous the clerk told me he just spoke to the MGR and the MGR wanted to make sure that we wouldn't have 5 people in the room !!! This after we just paid for a 2nd room !!! can you imagine leaving the 2nd room empty after just paying a stupid last minute rate for it. Had he been up front I could have booked 2 cheaper rooms instead of the room with the pullout couch ( chair) When leaving it took us half an hour to get the 1 slow elevator they have and then after waiting with 20 other people in their small lobby to check out we ended up just leaving. Book anywhere else in SAN JUAN

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
managerSanJuan, Manager at Hotel Miramar, responded to this review, January 5, 2012
Thank you for taking time to comment on your personal impressions about the hotel. We are always interested in hearing from our guests in our continous effort to improve the value of our product and quality of our services.
Upon arriving at the hotel with 5 adults, our Front Desk agent advised you that the maximum number of persons allowed in a guest room is 4. Even though we were fully booked, we offered you t he option of a second room to accomodate your party or assisting you in finding a hotel that would accept 5 persons in one room. You elected to take the second room, and in a gesture of good will, our agent accomodated you in a Superior Ocean View Room, with a pull out couch so the room with 3 people would have an extra bed. At 7PM, we retained the housekeeper so she could make up the sofa with fresh linens, and our agent left the desk to assist you with your luggage.
We do have one elevator which can handle the traffic for a 50 room hotel and we are located in one of San Juan's most sought after district.
We are truly disspointed about your remarks, but nevertheless respect your opinion.. We do encourage travellers to disclose the exact number of persons when booking a room to avoid any inconvenieces at check in.. Wishing you and your family a prosperous 2012!
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed December 13, 2011

We recently stayed 3 nights at the Miramar Hotel. We had no clue whether it would be good or not but we really enjoyed staying there. The staff were wonderful, very friendly and helpful. The room was good. It's an older building but has been updated. I would recommend this hotel as the place to stay in San Juan. Wonderful view of the ocean and lagoon from our room. Breakfast at the hotel was great. Service wonderful. I would stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Rooms on the front looking over the lagoon and ocean are great.
3 Thank KarinaLB
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed December 5, 2011

We stayed here for one night prior to sailing the next day.
It`s about a $20 (bags incl.) taxi ride from the airport and less for a trip to Old San Juan and the docks. There is a bus stop near by but we didn`t try it.
The Miramar is a nice boutique hotel. Small lobby with a great staff !!
Air conditioned room was large and clean. Mini fridge and microwave.
We had 2 double beds that were adequately comfortable.
Bathroom was modern and decor was tasteful.
One small elevator (try to get a lower floor if you are in a hurry).
Roof top terrace is a great place to bring a beverage and relax and see the city and ocean.
The hotel is in an area that is nothing to write home about but there are a couple of really nice restaurants within a block or 2.
Grocery store 2 bocks away as well. Wine, beer, rum etc. is sold there.
So if you just need a restful place to spend a night before you sail and don`t want to spend a ton of $, the Miramar would be recommended.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank glennifer
Wexford, Ireland
Reviewed November 28, 2011

my wife and i stayed here recently pre cruise and found everything just fine.very efficient staff at check in and out.lovely clean marbled floor bedroom no complaints.had a few reasonably priced drinks at the bar on site.friendly local people made chat with us which we enjoyed.breakfast next morning was very fresh and tasty and reasonably priced.the only complaint i have about san juan is that the taxis are a complete rip off which i think should be regulated a bit better,but other than that everything was good and i would definetely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple