“Loved it!”

GreenLeadersGold level
Isabela, Puerto Rico
“Loved it!”
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Here is a heads up: Dreams Hotel is more “puertorican” experience than “tourist” experience. With that said, regarding noise, commotion, traffic, terrible public transportation, that goes around the hotel, that’s Puerto Rico.

The service is amazing! You are greeted with genuinely friendly staff and really helpful.
The price is great!
The location is awesome! You have “colmado” (mini market), bars, restaurant, pharmacy, train and bus station, all at walking distance.
The room was clean! Im not a big fan of hotels with rugs since no vacuum is strong enough to remove germs. At least with tiles, you can mop the floor with a detergent and disinfect.

Room has a small fridge and microwave, but no plates or utensil. None the less, I’m pretty sure if you ask the staff they would help you out on this.

They provide continental breakfast. The key word is “continental”. Don’t expect a full blast breakfast, since they clearly specify “continental”.

Ill definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank C M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
fremont,ca
Reviewed August 28, 2013

I have booked this hotel for the price. We have stayed here for 3 nights, we arrived the place on Thursday around midnight. It is a bad choice to arrive on Thursday night, it was the party night. We stuck in the traffic for almost half an hour to travel 2 blocks to the hotel. It was people everywhere, the noise didn't die down until Friday morning. The following two nights was fine, no noise. The room we stayed has a double and a twin, accommodates three people. It is one bedroom and one kitchenette, has a small frig and a microwave, one small table and two chairs. The room was pretty small, more like an apartment than hotel. It comes with continental breakfast, bread, jams and fruit. In the room not much of amenities, soap only and towels, we end up buying our own shampoo. There is free wifi, mostly need to be used in the hall way, signal is too weak in the room. No elevator.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
St. Thomas
Reviewed August 27, 2013

This hotel exceeded my expectations. I was afraid of what to expect in the rooms as well as the safety of the area. Heard horror stories about the driving in Puerto Rico. My concerns were in vain. Prime location for those that love to shop (car rental not needed). Very affordable!

Room
The rooms were nice. Personal bathroom, kitchenette, fridge, tv, microwave, dresser drawers, table and 2 chairs. Rooms are cleaned once requested and iron board and iron available upon request. WiFi available!! Hot water!! Comfortable beds.

Location
I felt safe in the location. Many officers clearly patrolling the area. Very close (within walking distance) to 2 train stations, bus stops, restaurants (Burger King, Chinese, Dennys, Subway, etc.), Walgreens and many shopping stores (great prices). Transportation Note:Caught the Bayamon train, got off at Deportivo Stop and walked 2 mins to Santa Rosa Mall where Burlingtons and other stores were located. Caught bus T3 to Plaza Las Americas. Rio Pedras Shopping about 7 mins walk from the hotel.

Staff
The best staff ever. Very nice helpful and filled with answers regarding Puerto Rico. Speaks English very well.

Continental Breakfast
Well I think pancakes, eggs, sausage when I think Continental Breakfast. In this case there was peanut butter, jelly, fruits, bread, butter, toaster, juice and coffee available. For me that was fine (unsure how others would feel).

Noise
Thursday night, is party night somewhat up the road. I however was not disturbed (due to location of my room perhaps) so I have no complaints in that regards.

Security
Room Doors has a double locking dead bolt, and 2 door chains. Outside there is a security gate and surveillance cameras. Police patrolled Rio Pedras and the Police station, within walking distance.

All in all, I have no complaints, definitely will be back again and sure am telling all my friends. Will do more sight seeing on my next trip.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the Back!!!!!!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank andriear
Pittsburgh
Reviewed August 5, 2013

We were running out of money and looking for a reasonably priced place to stay in San Juan when we happened upon Dreams Hotel! We didn't know what to expect, but realized our options were running low and the price was right. When we got there, I was immediately impressed by the friendliness and helpfulness of the owner, Elena! She gave us a room that had both refrigerator and microwave and was clean, comfortable and safe! It was located in the Rio Piedras section of San Juan quite near the main campus of the University of Puerto Rico and a station for the Tren Urbano. It was also located near two colmados (convenience stores) where the folks there were equally friendly and welcoming. Mastro's Restaurant around the corner which Elena recommended had excellent hand-thrown pizzas equally reasonably priced. A walgreen's a couple of blocks away had everything you might need and a bakery on the street parallel to Dreams had equally great pastries. I was so impressed with the quality of the hotel already and then I discovered that they also provided a limited continental breakfast as well which I hadn't expected! Though this place is not near the beach, it would still be a great base to explore other parts of Puerto Rico from. While we were there, I saw two other families with small children staying there that seemed like they came from one of the other islands. The other guests were like us - regular folks looking for a place to stay that's not seedy, but economical and fortuitously we found it! There was some construction going on while we were there and I found out that they were adding 16 more rooms. I was happy to know their business is thriving and hope they'll still have room for us the next time we visit. Only after we returned home did I learn there is a famous large Mercado in the area which I wish we could have visited! Plaza Mercado Rio Piedras will be on our itinerary next time we visit!

Room Tip: All the rooms are clean, air conditioned and safe!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Yinzer13
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed August 2, 2013

The hotel is in a neighborhood full of locals. It looks kind of rundown, but we didn't feel unsafe. The rooms were comfortable and clean. Make sure you go to Panchy's, which is one block behind the hotel. They have a great breakfast for $3.50.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank latigrita
UK
Reviewed July 24, 2013

GOOD POINTS
-location for the University
-cheap
-people could not have been more welcoming.
-clean

BAD POINTS
-the noise .... we can not manage stairs and they have no elevator so ground floor rooms... had no idea they placed seats outside our door to offer breakfast, and then we had teenager having a gathering there on the evening.
-free breakfast. I guess it must be Puerto Rico style as coffee and gram crackers are not North American or European. they did make an effort I guess some bread out a toaster, crackers coffee. but not what we were expecting having normally come across cheese, or waffle machine

IDEAS IF YOU ARE VISITING

-we had the idea because of the 'kitchen' that it would come with plates / bowls ect. nothing just bare cupboards... we were on vacation, brought nothing with us and ended up having to go to a supermarket and buy stuff to eat our supper with. great having microwave and fridge but a plate would have been a happy addition.

-not many places around to eat. especially on Sunday. surprised the University had very little as well. If I went again would be tempted to stay near the resort hotels as they have amenities, burger places and restaurants and a bus that goes to the subway / University.

-I was at the university in June, the week before I came to dreams I stayed near the Sheraton Conference centre, so was surrounded by nice area, tourist and old town. when I arrived at the street the Dreams is situated on I nearly died. I looked rough. the taxi driver offered to wait or take me to another hotel !!!! but LOOKS CAN BE DECEPTIVE !!! I stayed a week, had no problems coming home at night, the little Mexican café at the top of the street was OK, but ate there almost every night.

TRANSPORT
ok there is a subway stop near by - and bus stop. the subway is great - but only goes around the suburbs - the bus from Old San Juan to subway was SO SO unreliable and awful on a Sunday.

Room Tip: beware disabled travelers. the disabled rooms are spacious BUT they in a courtyard with seats and wh...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 20, 2013

I enjoyed my stay at Dreams Hotel. I traveled solo and I felt very safe at the hotel and throughout San Juan. The rooms were very clean and it felt like more like an apartment than a hotel room. Though there is not a lot going on in the immediate area, there is a train and bus nearby that take you to the Plaza Las Americas Mall, the Bacardi Factory and Old San Juan. The cost of public transportation is $0.50-$0.75 per ride. Breakfast is served daily and it mostly consists of coffee, apples, pears, juice and bread for toast with butter and jelly. If you want a bigger breakfast, ask the hotel staff where Panchys is at. Pachys serves breakfast sandwiches and its no more than two blocks away. When I checked out, there was a small billing issue. The woman at the front desk told me I owed money, but could not tell me why/what it was for. After showing her the email confirmations that I paid in full before my arrival, the issue was quickly resolved. I would recommed this hotel based on it being very clean, comfortable and affordable (which allows you to spend your money on food, tours, souvenirs, etc).

Room Tip: Definitely eat at the sushi restaurant across from the hotel at least once :)
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo