“Don't eat here”

La Danza
Ranked #642 of 1,100 Restaurants in San Juan
Cuisines: Caribbean
Reviewed December 2, 2013

We stumbled into this restaurant while sight-seeing in old San Juan, and as it was just starting to rain, congratulated ourselves on our timing and finding a place that could accommodate all 9 of us right away. Alas, we'd have been better off staying out in the rain.
To be fair, service was friendly and fairly attentive, but the kitchen was incredibly slow. Portions were small and overpriced. One member of the group ordered the garlic shrimp - he got a pile of rice, a bit of salad, and four smallish shrimp. All this for close to $20. Another person ordered the house salad for $9. A small plate that looked as if it had had a bagged salad mix tipped onto it, with a couple of cucumber slices on top. Very disappointing.
I ordered the ceviche, and think that at $15 actually had the best value meal. The portion was decent, and the ceviche good.
Bottom-line: there is absolutely no way I'd go to this restaurant again.

Reviewed November 23, 2013

It is a quaint little restaurant and quite charming. Our experience was limited to late night snacks of ceviche and mofongo. The ceviche was really good - better than the tapas bar at El Convento and El Asador. The proprietor/ess was interesting and very helpful. I probably would not have stopped if I had read the reviews first - but can't complain about our limited experience.

Reviewed August 2, 2012

I was visiting Old San Juan (Puerto Rico) with my family. We had just finished a tour of the Governor's Mansion and one of our sons was hungry. We just happened to be walking by this restaurant and decided to stop by and eat. In fact there was a waitress outside actively inviting people to come in to eat and since my son was very hungry we decided to eat here. Big mistake. I should've checked to see any existing reviews on this restaurant. We ordered something small and quick (an appetizer) and some drinks. The waiting for the appetizers was insanely long. The quality of the appetizers was awful. Mind you, I was born on this beautiful island and know very well the cuisine from Puerto Rico and can tell you that the quality of the food these people prepared was horrendous.  The food was not even visually appealing and it tasted very poorly. On top of everything, it was very expensive. Definitely, not recommended. So do yourself a favor: keep walking and look for some other place to eat.

Reviewed June 28, 2012

This is a quaint little restaurant in a great location. However, the food is absolutely terrible. We had a party of 15 so we expected to have to wait a bit for our food. What we didn't expect was to see a huge can of Raid on the counter with all of the plated food ready to be served. The fish, lobster, conch mofongo, steak and fries were inedible. We aren't terribly picky eaters, so I'm not exaggerating when I say most of the plates were left full. The fries taste like they are cooked in the same oils as fish and other seafoods. My Dad ordered an empenada and was served a "chicken fried steak" type of dish. When he questioned it, the server tried to convince him it was indeed an empenada. The sodas are served from a 2-liter bottle and are flat with no refills. No alcoholic beverages are served at this restaurant.

Reviewed April 8, 2012

Was talked into having lunch here by a staff member who was pleasant and spoke English very well. First we ordered drinks - and were told that they do not serve alcohol, beer or wine (bummer #1). We ordered from the pricey menu. Fried Rice with shrimp - small portion, and the shrimp tasted and smelled of bleach. Asked them to take it back since it was inedible. Burger and fries - they did not ask how we wanted the burger cooked (and we forgot to tell them). The burger was cooked very rare - and was also sent back. The fries were obviously of the frozen kind dunked in oil - completely tasteless - we called it 'fried air'.
When we complained to the owner, she arrogantly told us to buzz off (not in so many words).
Stay away from this joint - the mexican restaurant across the street looked much more promising.