“Interesting place with great service”
Review of Verde Mesa

Verde Mesa
Ranked #13 of 1,050 Restaurants in San Juan
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Organic farm veggies and market fish arrive daily. Our main attraction is the chef's crew production which changes daily according to availability. Organic wine list and Botanical Bar. No reservations. Limited seating.
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Be prepared, this is a mostly vegetarian restaurant with a couple of fresh fish choices. You need to trust your server with their recommendations, they know the menu and were right on! It is a small interesting place off the beaten tourist path and they do not take reservations.

Reviewed August 7, 2013

the best meal we had our entire week in puerto rico. tried going here one night, but it was full and getting late, so we made a point to come back the following night. the decor is incredibly unique and welcoming. has the feel that your having dinner in someones house, or even an antique store. the service was great, the bartender came to greet us while we were waiting for our table, and was getting drinks for those that had a longer wait than we did. the server was very nice and helpful in explaining the menu and specials to us. the tuna with couscous was exceptionally fresh, and well seasoned. i got one of the specials that day (multiple every day) which was seared swordfish with roasted parsnip and pineapple. again, fish was super fresh, seasoned and cooked perfectly, and the accompaniments were wonderful. as good as the food was, the drinks were even better. we each had one fo their infusions, the green infusion, one with vodka and the other with gin and both were great. the bartender and the server were both great in helping to choose a drink that fit our tastes, and that would go well with the meal. highly recommended stop!

Reviewed August 1, 2013

You walk into a quaint, bohemian bistro and you are greeted by a friendly group of young servers who will do anything to make your evening a memorable one.
Simple, interesting dishes made with extremely fresh ingredients. I had the bruschetta with olive tapenade, manchego cheese and local mango which was to die for. Another delicacy was the cherry tomato (locally grown) with goat cheese foam on a bed of basil /pesto sauce. Also on the menu, which varies constantly, you will find gluten free and vegetarian dishes.
It is worth visiting. I will return.

3  Thank glorinadal
Reviewed July 27, 2013

This restaurant is far from great. It tries too hard to be cool, it is out of context, and ends up being a rather bad imitation of a Greenwich Village restaurant, including hipster-like waiting staff. Our waitress was nice and professional, but in general I found the atmosphere rather pretentious and fake. The appetizers were excellent. Unfortunately my entree, the Verde Mesa rice, was honestly horrible, I managed to eat only half of it and then I had to stop as I was feeling nauseated, because it was so dry and tasteless. My partner was more lucky and said that his ratatouille was good. We had only vegetarian dishes and one beer each, and we paid 40$ each, which in my view is really too much for the food quality. We would have paid much more if we had tried the fish or the wine. This was our first evening in San Juan, and we went to Verde Mesa in order to avoid tourist traps. Indeed, I would not say that this restaurant is a tourist trap and I am sure that there is much worse in Old San Juan, but this is not a good reason to get so excited about this restaurant.

4  Thank pedrogatto
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Everything fresh is what this hidden spot is all about. From home made fresh exotic juice combinations to a special house rice that will entice you. Small and eclectic, perfect for romance and small families. Meat is not served, only fresh fish and all things veggie.

Limited wine offerings and cocktails are served.