“The Best Lavender Ice Cream”
Review of Verde Mesa

Verde Mesa
Ranked #12 of 1,074 Restaurants in San Juan
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: First farm to table in the island since 2009 with a modern approach to cuisine. An invitation to the curious palate. Local, traditional ingredients meet ingenious and innovative forms. Our chef's proposal changes according to local meat, fish and produce availability. Botanical Bar, wine list and homemade ingredients cocktails. No reservations. Limited seating.
Reviewed June 22, 2013

And the best restaurant in San Juan, Puerto Rico. I have eaten there twice and both times is was perfect. The atmosphere is so sweet - you think you are in a small Parisian restaurant.
This is our last Saturday night in Puerto Rico (after living here 9 months) and we wanted to spend it at Verde Mesa. We highly recommend it!!

1  Thank Linnea B

Reviewed June 18, 2013

I went here on a date with my husband a couple of months ago out of a recommendation of a friend. I have to say the place is beautiful to look at but when it comes to food I rather go somewhere else. I had the couscous nicoise and my husband had the verde mesa rice. Mine was couscous with tuna, tuna came in rare but it was my mistake for not telling the waitress the term I wanted my fish in. Didn't like it at the beginning until I added a great amount of salt and pepper to it, something the cook should have done to begin with. Couscous was not cooked well and was just too bitter I barely ate it, platting just looked like a mess, it was just too overwhelming. The verde mesa rice just tasted like cheap Chinese stir fry rice you can get anywhere else in Puerto Rico. I'm sorry but I just thought that with the whole athmosphere came great food but I was just wrong.

Reviewed June 16, 2013

The tonics were awesome. We tried all of the specialty appetizers. They were all spectacular. The salmon tartar was light, fresh, and one of the best I have had. The fresh anchovies were delicately marinated with a simple plating. Very nice. Their artesian bread is to die for, especially with the citrus oil.

I was very disappointed with the entrees. Too salty. They really fell down here, and I was surprised. Obviously a different cook was on the entree station. Their signature rice dish which everyone raved about in reviews was barely edible. The salt was overbearing. Likewise was the beans served with the swordfish special.

For such a great start with the drinks and the apps, I was so disappointed. Salt is a condiment that needs to be used correctly. The heavy hand of the chef ruined our dining experience.

The restaurant is definitely worth trying, and s beautiful.

Reviewed June 14, 2013

Beautiful decor, great service, appropriate prices and very creative and flavorful dishes… I now have a new favorite restaurant!

Reviewed June 14, 2013

What a beautiful gem of a restaurant. The decor is lovely and the atmosphere is comfortable and classy. The food is pricey, but it's well worth it. A perfect place for anyone who might lean towards a pescetarian/vegetarian diet looking for a healthy place to eat. I was not on a date there, but it looks like a perfect place to go with a significant other.