“So good, we went twice”

Ranked #15 of 1,034 Restaurants in San Juan
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Organic farm veggies and market fish arrive daily. Our main attraction is the chef's crew production which changes daily according to availability. Organic wine list and Botanical Bar. No reservations. Limited seating.
Boston
“So good, we went twice”
Reviewed June 8, 2013

My husband and I are vegetarian/pescetarian, so when we read about Verde Mesa in our guidebook, we had to give it a try. I'm so glad we did too because it might just be our new favorite restaurant ever.

We were immediately struck by the charming Anthropologie-like decor. I loved the tin ceilings and Mason jar light fixtures, which provided a gentle and romantic lighting. The eclectic mix of tables and chairs also added to the effect.

They have a nice selection of wine and liquor. I myself was quite pregnant and so I had extra appreciation for their fruit and herb beverage potion menu. I tried both the green infusion and the strawberry cooler and both were so refreshing and not too sweet. Yum.

The food was fresh, original and delicious. We had the green hummus both nights. It comes with warm pita, which practically melts in your mouth, and is drizzled with a very tasty olive oil. We also tried a brusquetta special our second night, which was made with marinated olives and apricot(?) and goat(?) cheese. Whatever the other ingredients were, it was so good! The perfect mixture of salty and sweet. For entrees our first night, I had the Verde Mesa Classic Salad, which was so interesting (lots of texture) and yummy. My husband had a swordfish and lentil special, which he also raved about. We finished the night with the chocolate cake, which did not disappoint. On our second visit, I had the Verde Mesa Rice dish, which was similar to the salad but more hearty given the rice. I had noticed that there was nearly one of these dishes on every table near us - so a popular choice. My husband had the Thunnus Salad and was again very happy with his meal. Since we'd cleaned our plates again, we allowed ourselves to try the signature dessert - "the purple cloud" - which was unlike any dessert I've ever had before. It's made with crushed meringues, whipped cream and fresh berries. Yummy!

The staff, who seem to work as a team, were all very attentive and friendly. In fact, before we even realized that we were about to leave in the middle of a torrential downpour, they approached us to ask if we'd like them to call a cab for us. They then greeted the cab and had a huge umbrella to escort us to the cab.

Overall, a perfect place for us or anyone who appreciates a delicious fresh and healthy meal in a charming setting. Should we find ourselves in Viejo San Juan again, it will be the first place we go.

• Visited June 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
San Juan, Puerto Rico
“I love that this place exist... And I'm a local.”
Reviewed June 7, 2013 via mobile

I'm from and had lived in Puerto Rico all my life. I can assure that I haven't tasted a place like this here before. The service was great, food was über fresh and delicious. We had the salmon tartar, the arroz verde which is a must for first timers and a spectacular vieiras or scallops. The mango tart was great and tasted like just picked from the tree. Definetly coming back soon...

Visited June 2013
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great service, oober fresh food.”
Reviewed June 2, 2013

The best meal of our trip.

Service - there were 4 people buzzing around all making sure we were happy and well fed. Also, my boyfriend lost his phone and when I called to check if we had left it there, I left a message... They called right back and gave us good news - they had the phone and were holding onto it! LOVED that they checked their voicemails so promptly.

Food - FRESH, vegetarian and fish options galore. Everything we had was delicious..fresh, nothing overdone or overseasoned. The chocolate cake and purple cloud dessert were an amazing way to finish our meal. YUM!

Price - the prices for some of the specials weren't listed so be sure to ask - this is NOT a budget restaurant.

Ambiance - loved the decor. Soft, creative, and vintage inspired. Many nice touches - The lamps in the dining area are made from mason jars!
The bathroom smells amazing and they have a nice salt scrub for your hands..

Overall a great experience for almost all of your senses. Guys, take your ladies here for a nice dinner in San Juan.... On our last night we tried Pikayo and were disappointed... This is the place to be :)

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Livshinr
London, United Kingdom
“Expensive for what it is”
Reviewed June 1, 2013

I think Verde Mesa is playing on the fact it's about the only high-end restaurant in Old San Juan. It's decorated nicely and the food is fine (fresh and tasty although not authentic Puerto Rican I wouldn't say) but it's expensive for what it is. We paid about $50 each for a soft drink, a starter and a main each.

Meat eaters be warned, it's all vegetarian and fish. Not a problem for us at all, but you'll be disappointed if you're after steak!

Visited May 2013
New York City, New York
“Quite nice”
Reviewed May 31, 2013

Great food, and lots of vegetarian options. They are a little full of themselves (half the restaurant was empty but we were sent away and said they would call us in 20 minutes when a table opened up). They try to hide a lot of the prices from you ($12 cocktails; no pricing on the specials board) so if you are budget conscious, you'll have to ask. In general, prices were in line with what I would expect to pay for a similar meal in New York City or San Fransisco. Make sure to try the Purple Cloud dessert.

Visited May 2013