“Why would you do this to yourself?”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Air Margaritaville

Air Margaritaville
Ranked #772 of 999 Restaurants in San Juan
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Full Bar, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Winter Park, Colorado
“Why would you do this to yourself?”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2013

Jimmy Buffet should be ashamed of this. BS island style Applebees wannabe.

We were on a layover on our way back to the states in the most over priced airport I've been to yet, and hungry as hell. The place was clean. The staff was cordial. I'll be upfront here, I don't like places like this in the first place. The fact that the food these places pass off is low quality and our society is now trained to think the opposite is a discussion for another time and place. That being said, this review is real and unbiased. The food didn't taste bad or spoiled. The problem I have with Air Margaritaville is that it was extremely overpriced!!! We looked at the menu and couldn't believe our eyes. We have no problem paying a lot for food but you have to get what you pay for. In a place like this, you know what you're getting. We decided to split a chicken quesadilla and try to hold out until Miami, where quite possibly, the best airport restaurant exists. Our quesadilla: one 14" tortilla with some low quality cheese and a few chunks of chicken folded over and dry toasted and seasoned with what looked like chili powder and cut into four segments, and served with salsa, broken sour cream and guacamole on some scratch iceberg lettuce. All for the low low price of $21 with tax and tip. What is that? Everything on that plate had a total food cost of $1.50-$2.00. Put that against a menu cost of $15.49, 'ol Jimmy's raking it in. If you're going to give me this garbage, then at least don't rob me blind. Yeah, we didn't have to eat there. But we were hungry and needed something. For what we spent, we could've bought a decent 20# bag of dog food and done better. The food we got was a good indicator of the rest of what was to be had there. Won't do it again Jimmy. The shame on you won't be a shame on me buddy.

• Visited May 2013

Overland Park, Kansas
“Trip back home”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2013

We were headed back to Kansas City and had time o have one last drink before boarding our flight and stopped at Air Margaritaville. Met Jimmy man years ago in St.Thomas and it was fun to see pictures of him as I remember him. Have not been to a concert, yet love his music and all my kids have grown up listening to him sing. the drinks were good, service was good, price was better than the resort we stayed in, restaurant was clean, french fries were hot, salty and plenty of ketchup. Overall, nothing to complain about. Everything would have been perfect if we could have stayed longer...

• Visited April 2013
“nice quick airport bite before getting on flight”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

Liked the service (fast), the food was good also. Wish the Jimmy Buffet videos had sound. The place was packed when we went but service was quick, ate in 50 minutes.

Visited March 2013
Shawnee Mission, Kansas
“Rude Employees & terrible experience”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2013

We had 3 hours to kill before our flight out of San Juan. Decided to get a bite to eat, before our flight to Dallas. Walked in the restaurant door right across from our gate. Apparently, this is a back door you aren't supposed to use. We arrived at the hostess stand and she asked how we got into the restaurant. And not in a nice tone. We pointed to the door, and she proceeded to belittle us for not using the correct entrance. That there was a sign saying not to use that door. I told her if they didn't want us to use that entrance, then it shouldn't be unlocked, let alone not even closed. She sat us, and we each ordered a diet coke. Looked over the menu, and decided that nothing really appealed to us. When our server(old man) FINALLY came back to take our order after 20 minutes, we told him we decided not to eat anything. He let out a loud sigh, rolled his eyes, and grabbed the menus off of the table.. We never saw him again. We did ponder sharing the nachos at one point, but after not seeing him even running around the restaurant, we decided to forget it. After sitting at the table for an hour and a half, we decided we should head to our gate for boarding. Waited another 10 minutes for him to give us a bill. Finally made eye contact with him from a distance, and gave him a sort of wave and said out loud we needed our bill. After another 5-10 minutes, we left a $10 bill on the table, and walked to our gate. $10 for 2 diet cokes. We figured they were no more than $4 each, and a $2 tip. Would have left more if he had been pleasant. I served for many years and really hate people who "camp" for hours and don't tip accordingly. We met a gentleman in the security line, and he sat with us as well. He got just a water, but left a couple of bucks as well. Standing at the gate 5 minutes later, waiting for our boarding group to be called, up walks our waiter. He proceeded to yell at us for stealing and not paying for our drinks. He handed us our bill, and it was for $12 and change. He had charged us for 3 drinks. We told him that we ordered 2 diet cokes,and he had given us the wrong bill. The cokes were $3.49each plus tax. Our tab should have been $8 including tax. He then began accusing us of being liars. We started to walk back to the bar to talk to a manager, but he told us fine in a huffy voice, and left. They had started boarding our flight, and we were going to forget it and move on. But my mother couldn't let him get away with it. She walked back to the restuarant, and asked for the manager. Of course HE was the manager on duty. She told him that he was rude, and she wanted the $2 tip back because he gave lousy service. He did give it to her. I had boarded our flight in the meantime. I was afraid she might end up in jail, but she did make it onto the plane. Do not visit even if you are starving. There is a coffee shop that has good food before you go through security. We should have just stayed there until closer to boarding time. Oh well! Now we know for the next time we are in San Juan. Be forewarned if you do decide to visit. I hope he is an exception to the rule. Jimmy would/should be horrified to have someone like this "man" representing his company and name.

• Visited March 2013
Dayton, Ohio
“Don't do it!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2013 via mobile

At $20 a plate, and given my prior experience with these restaurants in the states, I had higher expectations. I had the skit steak which was incredibly tough and stringy and all they give you is a plastic knife. My husband had the salmon, which was overlooked and was not "jerk" as advertised, but was covered in a disgusting BBQ sauce like condiment. Neither of us finished our food, even knowing we would have no food at our hotel. You're better off with fast food at this airport.