“Excellent facilities, very bad personnel”

Best Western Plus Condado Palm Inn & Suites
Ranked #14 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Reviewed June 11, 2013

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Write a ReviewReviews (1,661)

Reviewed June 3, 2013

This is one of those reviews with a huge asterisk (*) on it. I have to say that 90% of my experience at this Best Western was positive. The hotel location is very convenient - a short cab ride from the airport and located within a short walk to Condado beach, lots of restaurants, casinos and nightlife. (On the topic of beaches, I would personally recommend going to isla verde as it is a nicer beach.) Having a Walgreens across the street was very convenient as well. The lobby looks recently renovated but the rooms felt a bit dated. Still, you are getting what you pay for and that's fine. The breakfast buffet is on par or better than most European hotels I've been to.

Here comes the asterisk though, we didn't have hot water in the shower for our entire 3 night stay!! We notified the front desk on two occasions and, to be fair, they sent up maintenance twice to fix the issue. Unfortunately, neither times did the trick and we were still left without hot water. The hotel was booked for the weekend so we could not switch rooms, but I have to say that I was disappointed we were not offered a complimentary night or room credit or something. The front desk did apologize when we checked out and said she would speak to the manager about compensating us, but I haven't heard back from them since. This left a bad taste in my mouth. I understand that your hotel just underwent major renovation, but having hot water is kind of important!

That aside, this hotel is perfectly adequate for a little Puerto Rican getaway.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank jdelayen
MiguelRivasCondado, General Manager at Best Western Plus Condado Palm Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2013

Dear Jdelayen,

I am very sorryto learn about your negative experience recently at our Hotel. Please know that at the Condado Palm we genuinely care about each and every single guest we have and the most important thing is to meet and exceed expectations. I definitely agree with you: Having hot water in the guestrooms is a crucial part of our operation and the fact that your room didn’t have hot water is unacceptable. I want you to know that we’re targeting this issue and giving it 100% priority so that if we get the opportunity to welcome you again, I guarantee you we will go above and beyond to win you back.

At the same time we I want to thank you for your kind words towards our staff and property. I would like to have the opportunity to further discuss this with you. Please let me know if there’s a way for me to reach you or you can call me on my cell phone, 787-370-1080, at your convenience. I truly apologize for the negative part of your experience but we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again. Do not hesitate to contact me if there’s anything you need.

With all due respect,

Miguel Rivas

Reviewed June 2, 2013

We arrived well after midnight to this hotel and the desk clerk was super courteous. Room was clean and functional, but the best part was the short distance to the beach and the fantastic night life nearby.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed June 1, 2013

You may not be right on the beach, and you may not have a beach view, but the location and price make up for it.

The hotel is located right across from a Walgreens, which was super convenient for picking up things we forgot. It's probably around 100 yards from the beach, which was great for popping over for a few morning hours of sunshine before our day of activities. It's also walking distance to any kind of restaurant you could want (our late-night favorite, which we affectionately dubbed "Sushi Chinese" for its varied offerings, was a 3 minute walk away) and a decent casino (5 minute walk - keep an eye on the black jack dealers though).

Breakfast was great for hotel standards - they had all sorts of pastries and cereals, a belgian waffle maker, and hot eggs, sausages, bacon and tater tots. They also had my personal favorite condiment, Cholula! I was sold upon seeing it.

If you're looking for an inexpensive place, this is it. I was there with friends and we enjoyed it, but we saw plenty of families having a good time as well.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Curious1991
Reviewed June 1, 2013

I came to PR on business and to surf with my college roommate who lives in Purto Rico for a few days and was recommend the the best Western by him.

I gotta say it is a great location, really close to the beach and in the middle of all the fun at the weekends. If you struggle sleeping maybe find a place not so close to the main road as it gets noisy on weekends all through the night.

First issue- The hotel needs to do more in regards to noise from our guests and smoking as all I could smell was people on the balconies and in the hallways smoking. I mentioned it to reception a number of times. Also I must have been staying in the middle of a party as the room above, below and to my left were constantly making noise all night.

Second issue- the parking as I had my friends (who came to visit) car was broken into. I was told they have offsite parking so I had to go around the confusing one way and park at a lot called Magalagna which the hotel backs onto. We woke up early as we were driving to Ricon on the west of the island and we woke to a broken window and some items taken. The parking assistant was no help and after 2 hours the owner (very rude) came and said the cameras were not working due to power outage (So not very helpful) and advised me to claim from the hotels insurance. He was happy to call the police but said they would take hours and he still charged my friend $25 to let him go.

So my advice to the hotel, fit better smoke alarms, thicker walls and fix the guest parking situation.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 1, 2013

Stayed at the Condado Palm one night prior to our cruise. It was an excellent hotel, and very close to the beach. This hotel was recently renovated; the room was nice but there were places you could tell signs of the renovation. It had rained heavily just before we arrived and there was a wet spot on the carpet by our balcony. I'm assuming the seal between the balcony door and floor was not quite there. Our room was larger than expected and contained a safe, microwave, mini fridge, and other normal hotel amenities.

When we booked online we booked a "partial ocean view." We were surprised to find that our partial view basically amounted to a full ocean view partially blocked by some buildings closer to the beach. The hotel is about a block and a half from the beach, so it is very convenient. Our room was on the 11th floor and we had no issues with street noise. The area the hotel is in felt very safe and is very close to many restaurants.

We were very pleased with the professionalism and knowledge of the staff. The breakfast was good but not excellent, it included: eggs, toast, French toast, cereal, bagels, yogurt, coffee, juices, etc. All areas of the hotel were very clean. I would highly recommend staying at this hotel, and would definitely return on future visits to San Juan.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mark K
Reviewed June 1, 2013

from the moment you drive into the driveway, the attractive valet parkers are already greeting you to take your heavy luggage. Then you walk in to check in and the check-in-clerks are amazing!! I was he;ped the first time by Mayra. She is very patient and thourough when she explains everything to you. I received a free upgrade during my stay there because of their promotion. The lobby is beautiful! It has a beautiful fish tank which apparently has $1000 fish it it!! Wow and the amazing clownfish are adorable. There is a business center in the back with 3 computers where you can check your emails or facebook. :) Printing is alo allowed. The pool is appropriate for kids at 1 ft levels and the adult pool goes up to four feet. Not meant for long swims but just wading or mingling with yourloved ones. The beach is walking distance from the Hotel. The Best Western provides beach chairs and towels. In the mornings. they have continental breakfast including sausage or bacon, hash browns, scrambled eggs, and then your basics. Luis is one of the morning employees helping in the kitchen. I asked for Honey once and they did not have any yet in the kitchen, so he offered to out and buy it for me next door! Wow..talk about customer oriented and sweet. The night auditors are Herman and Antonio. Wow, they make sire everything is in order and checkins run smoothley. People are calling constantly for silly requests such as sheets, towels, extra beds, and these guys take care of it asap. Carlos was excellent in allowing me to rebook rooms at cheapers deals...He is a super kind man. I can tell he loves his job so it comes natural to him. Osmel, Chimes, and Raiza have all been extremely accomodatiing. Hats of to them!! Their security guards are also very protective and making sure theire is nothing fishy going on at all times. I loveit here...they treat me like family.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple