“Great local Puerto Rican experience”
Review of La Jaquita Baya

La Jaquita Baya
Ranked #58 of 1,049 Restaurants in San Juan
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: We focus on reviving forgotten dishes from our delicious puertorrican gastronomic culture. We sponsor "lo nuestro" You should do it too. Eat local, Eat fresh!
Reviewed November 19, 2012

I went to Puerto Rico for a bachelor party and contacted a client who was local to San Juan. He asked what I wanted food wise- and I suggested something local that tourists wouldn't find easily. La Jaquita Baya is what he selected. It was a great choice. We did the calimari- cruchy and flavorful. Shark and stingray - both flash fried and served the same way. I had the skirt steak- which was good but not memorable.

The place is small- decor is nice but not exquisite. The service was great- the waiter went out of his way to explain the choices on the menu to me in English.

I would definately go back next time I am in Puerto Rico.

Reviewed November 12, 2012

A unique menu at this Puerto Rican restaurant. The way they cook and pair flavors is not like any other restaurant I have been to. The bean dip with fried plantains was a great starter and I have never had that at any other restaurant here...and I have been to a lot of restaurants in Puerto Rico. They use sweet potatoes in a few of their dishes and I love that added flavor. My appetizer, main entree and Sangria (both red and white)....ridiculously tasty!!! It's quaint, intimate and the live band adds to the ambiance. I would definitely come back and recommend this spot for sure! The service was extremely helpful.

1  Thank Lisa B
Reviewed October 10, 2012

Service: A+, Ambience A+, Presentation A+, Flavor A++. Desserts: a visit to heaven! Perfection in every aspect, in every bite. Proudly decorated from walls to bathroom. Music: just right! A place to enjoy once and again and again and again... Zureida

Reviewed October 7, 2012

Nothing but excellence here! We were fortunate enough to stumble across this gem several years ago and make it a point to go back each time we are in town. From formal business dinners to casual family dinners, La Jaquita Baya is the place to be! It's a diamond in the rough for sure! It's not easy to find but so worth the challenge! Mostly frequented by locals, but always welcoming to visitors. Excellent menu! The staff is always eager to help explain each dish if you aren't familiar with traditional Puerto Rican cuisine. We have had the pleasure of experiencing many of the menu items and have never been disappointed! I highly recommend starting out with the calamari and fish tacos!!! Best calamari I've ever eaten! We typically steer towards the fresh red snapper for our entree and finish up with any of their finely crafted desserts!
The atmosphere is very welcoming and comfortable. Everyone from the hostess to the chef is always friendly and accommodating.
Highly recommended! Give it a try.... You won't be disappointed!

Reviewed August 18, 2012

My friends and I just came from La Jaquita Baya, and we loved every minute of it. From the monitors made the traditional way, to the fish tacos, chicharron, coconut rice, shrimp, salad with plantains to the live band, we had truly delightful time. The staff were really helpful, taking the time to explain what was in each dish, and checking back to make sure we were having a good time and felt welcome. This is somelplace I would not only highly recommend, it is someplace I would not hesitate to return to.

I would however advise that if you go on a Friday or Saturday, you call ahead to make reservations as the joint was jumping. If you neglect the reservation, you are welcome to sit at the bar and listen to the music while you wait.