“Average”
Review of The Palace Hostel

The Palace Hostel
Reviewed January 2, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed in the Palace's private room with a full bed. It was okay. The mattress are memory foam and aren't too bad... the bed frame is another story... every time my husband moved the whole thing sounded like it might come crashing down. Other than that it's not exactly the cleanest place I've ever stayed but it also wasn't the worse either. The bathroom's need some TLC from a plumber but you can only do so much and they were functional. Overall it was a good way to stay for cheap... it's close to the bus stop and easy to get to touristy places like Old San Juan. The staff is pretty easy going and will help you out with finding the bus, beach, etc. They also arrange tours of the rain forest with a private guy in the 40ish dollar range...I would recommend calling ahead and getting details about that a head of time. We missed out on it but it sounded like the best way to see the rain forest. Just a tip if you plan to take a taxi to the hostel from the airport be sure you have directions printed or use the GPS from a smart phone because the taxi driver's have no idea where they are going. Also, if you need a ride to the airport there is a taxi place right across the street that is easy and convenient to deal with.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Amanda P
There are newer reviews for The Palace Hostel

Reviewed December 28, 2012

I’ve stayed in better hostels; I’ve stayed in worse (though not in Puerto Rico – this was the worst of the ones I stayed in on this trip). There were too many beds crammed into too small a room, leaving no space for anything else. When I arrived, after 8 pm, they still hadn’t removed the used linens from the last person. However, the beds were clean and relatively comfortable, which is important! The bathroom downstairs, however, was not very clean, and one of the two upstairs toilets was broken. The balcony stank of old (and new) cigarettes. They provided breakfast in the morning – bread, peanut butter, jam, bananas – but there wasn’t really anywhere I could sit to eat it, since there was someone asleep on the couches in both the upstairs and downstairs lounges and also in the hammock on the smokey balcony. Location is ok, nothing special but walking distance to Condado and to buses that run to the Old City.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank R M
Reviewed December 14, 2012

A really nice place with really nice managers. You have to go there and spend more than a weekend. You can find your basecamp there, the managers and workers are nice and helpfull with anybody that come to the hostel. They are not in Old San Juan, but you can take a bus a few blocks from there and also, from Miramar neighborhood you can reach Santure area in a easier way. Go and check it out for yourself. I spent really nice time there.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank dmlegisa
Reviewed November 15, 2012

If you are looking for a 5 star Hilton then this is not the place for you. The building is about 100 years old and could use a bit of tender loving care which the two managers, Shannon and Chris are working hard to take care of but with the owner spending his time in Texas, it is a bit of a challenge to get things done, but they are trying. From the outside it is a typical Spanish-looking building. On board are 3 housekeepers: Mordacai who writes poetry, Nick the pilot who is funny as all get out, and Billy who loves to teach you different games to play. Wealth of information these guys and I want to thank each and every one of you who made my stay pleasant. From letting you know about the little store around the corner where you can buy wine and get a sandwich for only 3 bucks, (very tasty). To the cash-n-carry store to buy food or the big grocery store along Ponce de Leon. To which bus to catch to get into "Old" San Juan. Go though the gated doors and immediately you see the narrow outside courtyard that has two tables and four chairs. The floor of the courtyard has as it floor, small rocks. You could walk on them, but I didn’t. After entering make a right and your are in 1 of 2 waiting/seating areas. The reception desk is right in front of you. There is a kitchen with hot-plates, toasteroven, cooking utensils and pots and pans. On this level there is a small bathroom with a shower. Nice dining area. Dorms and double rooms occupy the other space. The 4 bed female dorm that I stayed in was a tad on the small size with all of us in there. Really little floor space to put things, but we managed. There was a place to hangs things on the back of the door. The air-conditioner work, thank the Lord because it was very hot. Most days over 90 degrees. I felt like a moist French fry. On one of the walls in the dining area there are make-shift cubbies that you can store your non-perishables food items in. As you ascend to the 2nd floor you notice that there are cubbies with a front panel that you can secure your belongings. (Bring your own key and lock). Upon going up the few remaining steps you enter the second seating/waiting area with TV, Video equipment. Just to your right is the little outside balcony that amazingly holds a lot of guest even though there are only 4 chairs. Boy howdy did we have good times out there with everyone laughing and telling of their own adventures from all over the world. On this level there is a rather large kitchen where you have your “Free” breakfast of bread, peanut butter, jelly, coffee, tea, oatmeal and hot chocolate. There are no cooking surfaces here so if you want anything hot, you can use the microwave oven. On this floor you will find dorms doubles, singles, two bathrooms (one with a bathtub) laundry room and a nice non-smoking outside area. Overall the place is clean, pleasant and yes they do have memory foam mattresses. They will give you directions to the main grocery story and other places along Juan Pounce De Leon. I plan on staying there again in the very near future. Thanks so much Shannon and Chris, I hope that by the time I get back you will have your own little happy place across the courtyard.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank asolotraveler40
Reviewed November 8, 2012

What an amazing time. I love the Palace! Everybody was cool and Nick definatelly made our stay entertaining. I can't believe you guys have a Pilot at a hostel in the Caribbean. I'm definatelly coming back when he starts doing flying tours if the islands. What a great concept! A hostel in the islands with an airplane. You guys are genius. Good luck Nick!!!

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank Joeschmoeman
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Missed my flight and had to stay in PR for a night. Asked the airport taxi to take me to a hostel. I ended up at The Palace and was greeted by Shannon and Chris. They treated me like an old friend. The room and bathrooms are typical hostel style. Everything was clean and organized. I would reccomend this place to anyone looking to meet new people or need information about the island.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 3, 2012

The Palace Hostel is Definately one of my favorites! It's not a far walking distance from all of the good things to see. You can walk to the beaches or Old San Juan.
The Staff are Amazing. Shannon and Chris were really helpful with navigating around the area, Moe was helpful with my Spanish translations, Billy is just a sweetheart and Nick is one of the coolest guys I've ever met. He showed me around and made my stay here a million times better. I wIsh I could bring him with me on the rest of my travels to keep me company!
Overall, it was one of the best Hostel atmospheres I've had the pleasure of enjoying. All the guests came together and we had lots of fun hanging out in all the common areas. It's like one big happy family. I wouldn't recommend staying anywhere else. (trust me I've tried the other hostels in San Juan!)

• Stayed: September 2012