“Something different”

Waffle-era Tea Room alias La Waflera
Ranked #4 of 28 Coffee & Tea in San Juan
Cuisines: Cafe
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Dining on a budget, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Puerto Rico
“Something different”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2012

The food is very nice at this small restaurant with a beautiful view... The appetizers were more than good (red peppers filled with goat cheese and pesto wrapped in salmon, wow) and I the best waffle I had was filled with feta cheese tomatoes and prosciutto, excellent.

The only down side... be prepared to wait... and wait.. everything is done at the moment so of course it takes a little more time than usual to get everything ready. Just FYI, don't go on a hurry.

• Visited December 2012

“Oh what a beautiful morning, oh what a beatiful breakfast!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2012 via mobile

We had been waiting for a time to visit this well recommended place and decided to invite one of my wife's former neighbor in Old San Juan and right when we started walking to the place, my son called to inform he was around and he(lucky one) got invited also. He got there first with instructions to get good seating and his selection was perfect: a corner with an impressive view of the bay and the optimal breezy location for a sunny saturday morning. So we all sat comfortably, were nicely treated by the waitress who brought an album (the menu) with good descriptions and even photos of dishes. We had a great and enthusiastic breakfast get together with brisk and interesting conversation. I had a mango nectar and we all ordered small waffle portions (except my son who ordered a combination of salty and sweet waffles!). Coffee drinkers had generous admiration for the brew they had, and what we ate was catalogued as tasty by all. What we all liked most was the combination of atmosphere, intimacy, views, breeze, service and leisurely pace of our breakfast experience, with a very attentive owner. I am certain we will repeat our visit as long as they remain where they are and the way they are.

Los Angeles, CA
“Cozy; Good food; allow extra time”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2012

This is in Old San Juan off the beaten path. There was only one couple when we got there but it was a Thursday at 11 AM. If you sit in the front room, you get a view of the ocean and harbor. We sat in the upper room which was a little breezy but empty and quiet. Service is slow so plan extra time.

I hadn't had a cup of coffee yet so I ordered that and my wife wisely ordered tea. When you go to a place with 23 teas on the menu, you should order tea. The coffee was "ok" but definitely wasn't the best I had in PR (That title goes to PR Cola Coffee in Old San Juan). I later ordered an Earl Grey that was excellent as was my wife's Darjeeling.

You can order waffles with a variety of sweet or savory toppings. The smaller sizes are actually decent size so you better be hungry if you order the full size. My wife ordered the salmon wafflito and I ordered the Laura's wafflito. Both were good.

South Korea
“your waffle WONT need syrup”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2012

this was really a great spin on waffles, let me tell you!! they first time i came i ordered a waffelito from the savory side of the menu. mine came with shredded chicken with mozzarella and diced tomatoes!!! omg soo good. the second time i ordered mine with greek yogurt and cucumbers. it was different!

“Yummy!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

Great Waffles, very cozy place. I go to Old San Juan all the time and had not been to this place yet. Is very different! A must go!