“Hidden Gem in Old San Juan”
Review of Tropical Taste

Tropical Taste
Ranked #109 of 1,099 Restaurants in San Juan
Good for: Local cuisine
Description: Puerto Rican restaurant open 7 days a week from 11am till 7pm, offers Puerto RIco traditional food. Open for lunch and early dinner, located in an indoor patio inside Kamel International Bazaar close to the Cathedral in Old San Juan. Groups are welcome. Kids menu available.
Reviewed March 11, 2012

After an afternoon of strolling the streets of Old San Juan, Tropical Taste was exactly what we were looking for. It is located in the back of a small store (near the Coach store). The food was so delicious and fresh. We were welcomed by the owner of the restaurant who took great care of us. Friendly, professional, warm service & great authentic Puerto Rican comida. Way better than any of those tourist traps (like Raicas). If you are in Old San Juan, you have to go to Tropical Taste.

1  Thank laura o

Reviewed February 29, 2012

This wonderful little restaurant in Old San Juan is hidden behind a gift shop - you actually have to walk through th Kamel International Bazaar to get to Tropical Taste. I admit the name and cartoony looking logo did not pull me in, but once I saw the menu and the packed dining room, I was convinced. I had pulled pork and mofongo (a traditional dish made of fried and mashed plantains) and it was DELICIOUS. My husband had red snapper with tostones (also made with plaintains) and my daughter had beans and rice - it was all great. Our friends had seafood dishes - mediterranean shrimp was one and I can't recall the others. One of the friends travelling with us is a chef trained at the CIA, and he thought the food was great too. There is also a bar next door with a wonderful courtyard that makes awesome mojitos.

1  Thank amymvr
Reviewed January 24, 2012

nice place, nice service, tasty homemade style food; I will visit this place again in Old San Juan!!!!!!!!!

2  Thank gnkinc
Reviewed January 2, 2012

Our last day in Puerto Rico we wanted to see the San Juan Cathedral and to eat some local cuisine for lunch one last time. We were looking at our map to see which direction we needed to go when a woman stopped to ask what we were looking for. We told her and she immediately started giving us directions. We asked her where we should go to eat lunch. She lead us to a gift shop that had a restaurant in the back. Tropical Taste Restaurant. We had rice and beans with Puerto Rican style pork. The pork was tender. The sauce was delicious poured over the rice. The server was friendly and attentive. The price was very affordable. This was probably the best meal we ate during our trip.

2  Thank Beverly L
Reviewed July 27, 2011

I discovered this spot about five months ago. Not the easiest place to find since it is located behind a store. A nearby shop recommended it, so I went to check it out. All I can say is the food is excellent, and the music and atmosphere sealed the deal. I went back afterwards with my husband, and he loved it too. I would definetely recomment this place!