“Great Puerto Rican Coffee!!”

Cafe Cuatro Sombras
Ranked #2 of 5 Bakeries in San Juan
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Description: Coffee Shop, Single Origin Coffee, Restauratnt
Reviewed September 30, 2013

We ran into this place only cause we were shopping in a gift shop right by it and happened to ask the lady works there about where the good place for coffee is, it turns out to be such a great experience. We were so glad we asked and did not go to Starbucks on the next block :p
The interior design is modern but cozy, the coffee is strong and rich, must be the best coffee I had in Puerto Rico. If you love coffee and you visit San Juan, you have to stop by.
Not sure about the food. But everything looks nice.

Reviewed September 21, 2013

Local coffee beans, very good sandwiches, relaxed atmosphere. competitive price compared to the chain option. air conditioned and Clean bathrooms. Located in the lower part of the old city.

1  Thank X D
Reviewed September 15, 2013

I really like this cafe in Old San Juan. We ate breakfast here twice. We had the croissant with ham and cheese and it was delicious. The cafe con leche (latte) was good as well although a bit strong but I think that is the case for all cafes in Puerto Rico. I love the ambiance of this little cafe - cute little tables and decor. The only downside is there is no AC and in PR it can get very hot. The fans helped but there was not enough cool air to combat the humidity. We sat close to the doors both times so we could catch some breeze.

Reviewed September 12, 2013

On one of our forays to Viejo San Juan we stopped for a cup of coffee at Cuatro Sombras Cafe (Four Shadows Coffee). This place roasts it's own coffee as well as serves it as the sign outside says. "Torrefaccion y Cafe". It serves homegrown coffee from the Puerto Rican town of Yauco, famous for its coffee. I don't know why, but the coffee reminded me of that I had tasted years ago in Costa Rica. Dark Roasted but very smooth tasting low acid and flavorful! The place is abuzz with people - locals and tourists - coming and going ordering coffee to go as well as coffee to take to a table. It's self serve and depending on the day, the time of day, etc. it might be difficult to get an empty table. Fortunately, people don't mind sharing an empty chair at their table. A huge dramatic black and white photo of a Campesino showing the finca buildings in the background covers one entire wall. The atmosphere is great, but the coffee, ah the coffee! My boyfriend, who lived in Hawaii swears it's the best coffee he had ever tasted, even better than Kona! I'm only sorry we didn't bring any back with us for souvenirs.

1  Thank Yinzer13
Reviewed September 11, 2013

My wife and I had the chance to stop by this amazing cafe in Old San Juan and both agreed that we had the best cups of coffee ever. I would absolutely recommend stopping by this cafe if you have a chance. The food looked amazing as well though we had already had breakfast elsewhere so can't vouch. We will be back for sure.