“100 lb. Tarpon, Anyone?”

Extreme Fishing Puerto Rico
More attraction details
Owner description: Join us for the best sport fishing Puerto Rico has to offer! Book your adventure with Capt. Juan Carlos Torruella, voted by Salt Water Sportsman magazine as one of the 50 charter captains in the world!
San Antonio, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“100 lb. Tarpon, Anyone?”
Reviewed January 31, 2014

We found Capt. Juan of Extreme Fishing Puerto Rico through all the great reviews here on Trip Advisor. They were correct! He knew exactly where to go & helped us every step of the way. We went to the still waters of San Juan Lagoon & immediately he pointed out the tarpon coming up for gulps of air (I thought they were dolphins at first). I was the first one to catch a 15 pounder. Next up my husband caught a 45 pounder. The highlight of the trip, however, was the 100 POUND tarpon that he caught! Capt. Juan patiently coached him through the 25 minute reel in process! The tarpon jump several times during this so spectacular photos are abundant!
He was a wonderful host & guide. He had drinks for us and even had nice rain jackets to don during the many short rain outbursts that popped up. When we go back to Puerto Rico we will most certainly book another fishing trip!

1 Thank Jlenard2014

Ellicott City, Maryland
“Unbelievable Tarpon Fishing”
Reviewed January 23, 2014

Went to San Juan with wife and another couple. My buddy and I wanted to do a little tarpon fishing so we started researching options. I kept reading great things about Capt. Juan so I reached out via email and received a quick response. We scheduled a 4 hour trip from 6:30-10:30 on Thursday, January 9th.

Capt Juan has fished in PR since he was a little kid so he is extremely knowledgeable. We talked about a bunch of great fishing stories on our 10 minute boat ride to the fishing spot. Capt. Juan set up all our tackle, continued to educate us on how to fish for tarpon, and put us in a school of tarpon within 10 minutes. We caught over 20 tarpon in a little over 2 hours all ranging from 5-13lbs. Was one of the best fishing experiences I’ve ever had- Capt. Juan was great throughout the entire time- we had a bunch of laughs and it didn't hurt he put us in a fantastic spot to catch fish.

Capt. Juan wanted to take us to another location to fish for larger tarpon for our final two hours of the trip. Again, it didn't take long for us to get into the tarpon. My buddy caught a 20 lb. tarpon and a couple of 18 lb.’s. I caught a couple of 12-15 lb.’s and then got into a 25-30 lb. tarpon which was great fun. The day before Capt. Juan showed us pictures of a 50lb tarpon they caught in the same spot.

Bottom line: If you're going to San Juan and you want to have a great time fishing for tarpon- do you self a favor and book a trip with Capt. Juan.

1 Thank Jason L
Hicksville, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Biggest Tarpon this year, Juan is the man!”
Reviewed January 22, 2014

What a trip! Managed to sneak away from the family for a few hours and upon my arrival at the Yacht Club Juan was ready and loaded. Tarpon were rolling up and down the lagoon, Captain Juan immediately put me on a fish of a life time...90# plus on 15# pound test. Had a bunch of other bites as well and landed a few smaller ones.... I cannot recommend the captain and his operation enough....awesome trip, will def b back!!!

2 Thank petelamba
San Juan, Puerto Rico
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Talk about a great experience!”
Reviewed January 21, 2014

My son (7) was asking me to go fishing which I though was a great Idea as I had never been fishing before. I though this would be a great bonding experience between us. I searched for what was available in San Juan... every where I searched I got the same answer... Capt Juan Carlos Torruella of Extreme Fishing PR. I emailed him for dates and rates, he was fast to respond and easy to schedule. Nothing complicated as easy as it should be.

We scheduled a 4hr (2 to 6pm) trip. The day could have not been more perfect. As we departed on our trip the Captain was more than helpful in explaining what we should expect. He answered all our questions and made my kid feel safe and entertained.

7 year olds can get bored easily... NOT TODAY he was excited, happy and wanting more... needless to say me too.

The Tally:
My kid got 9 Tarpon and 3 Robalo
I got 4 and 1
Total 13 Tarpon / 4 Robalo

I can't thank Juan Carlos Torruella for the great experience!! 5 Stars is not enough... Definitely worth the investment and will do it again!!

1 Thank Cuco A
Paola, Kansas
“Great Capt, Great Guide, Great Equipment, Great Time!”
Reviewed January 20, 2014

I can't say enough good things about Capt Juan. He called the night before to may sure we were still on schedule for the trip. I loved the fact that when you called to schedule the trip he was the one to answer, schedule, and take us out. My wife and i went fishing with Capt Juan on January 17th. He showed us how to fish for tarpon. This is very tricky, but with the guidance of Capt. Juan, I was able to get the hang of it and landed a 110lb tarpon later that day. Capton Juan was very curtious and even stayed out and extra half hour trying to get my wife a fish. Although she was having several bites she couldn't keep one on, again this is very tough. If you fish in Puerto Rico, USE CAPT. JUAN!! You will not be dissapointed!