“Very good value for money”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Cafe del Angel

Cafe del Angel
Ranked #51 of 999 Restaurants in San Juan
Cuisines: Caribbean, Latin, Bar, Spanish, Puerto Rican
Good for: Bar scene, Dining on a budget, Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Berkshire, UK
“Very good value for money”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2013

Like a lot of the reviews, we were staying at La Concha across the road. This does look 'a bit of a dive' but the staff are great, really friendly and helpful, and we went back several times to eat. Some of the places around were very expensive for what you got, but Cafe Angel was pretty good. And we did like the staff a lot. Try the canoa - a plantain stuffed with beef. Really good!

1 Thank MinnieBerkshire_UK

Champion, Pennsylvania, United States
“Great grouper sandwich and reasonable”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2013

I loved the grouper sandwich daily for lunch with the red skirt, one of my favorite drinks of the trips! Don't expect anything quick.

Visited October 2013
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Best Mofongo!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013

We ate here on a Saturday night in early October, around 5pm. The restaurant was faily empty. Later on, there was a musician. He was good but we left just as he started to play. Not because of him but because we had other things to do.

We checked in to our hotel at La Concha (across the street) then walked over to Angels to meet the rest of our party.
As we had beer after beer (happy hour!) we decided to just stay here for dinner. Good thing we did!!!
Before dinner a small loaf of garlic bread was delivered to our table. I was waiting on a huge dinner, so I didn't have any. By the way it disappeared, I guess it was good. We ordered a starter of calamari, they were nice and crispy.
For the main dish, I ordered the shrimp mofongo. My husband ordered the chuleta ahumadas, smoked pork chops with a side of fried sweet plantains.
The mofongo was the BEST mofongo I have had yet!!!! It was not dry, the gravy was very flavorful and the shrimp were cooked perfectly!
I would have finished my plate (and licked it) but I did promise to share it with my dear husband. His food was very good too- by the way!

I have never planned a hotel visit around a restaurant but I do believe I will plan my next stay within walking distance of Angels! (most likely at La Concha- see that review)

Serena, our server, was a dear! She knew the menu inside and out and offered helpful tips too. Our food was delivered fast and hot.

I would highly recommend this for happy hour and dinner.

Brooklyn, New York
“Good!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2013

This place is great for the Puerto Rican standard food, but done really well! The prices are reasonable (unlike many of the others along this strip that are expensive). I recommend the homemade hot sauce!

Visited October 2013
ALPHARETTA
“Great Food, Fun Staff, Awesome Drinks....”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013 via mobile

If you want good puerto Rican food and a fun atmosphere, go here!! We went 2 nights in a row....and about to go back tonight. The mofongo and shrimp criolle is delicious.