“Homemade Luxury”

La Terraza de San Juan
Ranked #12 of 48 Hotels in San Juan
Reviewed April 18, 2014

Luxury has many shades, and some of them stand far from the mere and easy concept of opulence and richness. Travel these days, is all about life event and experience. which in one way or the other, while rough around the edges, leave an unforgettable mark, La Terraza de San Juan, is to me best described as homemade luxury. A true rustic colonial take on Puerto Rico, with impeccable charisma y local traditional camaraderie, deliver by it owners themselves and their casual but professional staff. Located in the heart of Old San Juan, over Calle Sol, La Terraza de San Juan was my ideal epicenter, to discover this charming district, unveiling a new face of Puerto Rico, full of traditions and heritage, which I truly enjoyed. A cute simple getaway trip of three days.

I have been many times to Puerto Rico in the past, but never focused or stayed in the historic UNESCO World Heritage district of Old San Juan, other than walking but the main promenade where the massive Cruises and all tourists where located. That was for me a bit of a turn off, but since it was a short trip, I decided to take the chance. I checked the website of La Terraza of San Juan, (which BTW does not do honor nor truly represents the style of the hotel, plus as for today, does not show the suites and rooms of the new building) and I must say I was not quite impressed with their look, and this got me thinking if I should really stay with them of opt for the classic and safe choices like El Convento or Gallery Inn, right a few blocks away from them. My email exchange with the owners began, and they were so happy to have me come, friendly and happy, that I've decided to go along. Plus I did some background check on them via TripAdvisor and the comments were all very positive.

I arrived to the hotel, 19th Century Spanish colonial building, after a short 15 minutes drive from Luis Muñoz Marin International Airport, and the minute I stepped into Old San Juan, a special feeling began growing on me. We drove through the charming and colorful narrow cobblestone paved streets, until we reach our destination. To a warm welcome by Beatriz (my host) and her on-duty staff. Check in was not even so, I felt like my family were waiting for me to arrive and taking me, after a characteristic cup of local coffee, to my old room where I grew up. You know that feeling.

The hotel consists into two buildings. The first building, which was taken by them and turned into a Boutique Hotel, for the last three years, where they have mostly rooms with full kitchens and from 2 to 3 bedrooms (ideal for group of friends or families). But I was hosted at the new building, which adds 16 new rooms and suites to the property, upgrading their classification now, to a full hotel. FYI the hotel is still undergoing some constructions, so keep that in mind if you are planing to follow my advise and travel within the next few weeks.

I must admit, I am a shaded traveler, and I have an avid eye for details and hotel operations overall. As I walked into their property, my first instinct was, ... If I would be a walking client, most probably I would have walked away, and checked in at El Convento hotel... just to be safe...". After spending 3 days with them, I realize, that would have been a great mistake.

I was hosted at a street view with balcony Suite, and I must say in full honesty that I LOVED my suite. I loved the simplicity of it, but still decorated with great minimalist taste. My bed was EVERYTHING, and old wood poster bed, which was so beautiful and went along so well with the colonial concept of the hotel and the Old San Juan experience. I like the fact that the original wood window doors had no glass allowing the life of the streets to come live and present into my suite, despite being perfectly refrigerated by air conditioning and fans. Bathroom was of a very comfortable size. High wood beamed ceilings, lovely colonial artisanal tile floors. FYI my suite was #321. I STRONGLY recommend it. Daily breakfast included, WiFi, TV, Minibar. They are in the process to finish they a small fitness center room. Would I suggest my clients to stay at any of the room, hmmmm most probably not. But I do feel very confident recommending the rooms/suites at the new section of the hotel.

Their rooftop terrace, where I had breakfast every morning, offers spectacular views of San Juan Bay and historic Old San Juan.

Do I agree and endorse their classification as a Luxury Hotel, well probably not. But I do 100% certify, my own particular classification as understated homemade luxury. A luxurious experience of a local Old San Juan house, in a rustic very comfortable way. If you are looking to experience and submerge into the Old San Juan charm, then you cannot go wrong. The staff is friendly and professional, everyone is there to make you feel welcome, share their stories and guide you to the best options, restaurants and tips to make your visit to Old San Juan more enjoyable.

La Terraza de San Juan, was my ideal headquarter for my recent visit to Old San Juan, located on Calle Sol, 15 minutes away from the International Airport, Condado and Santurce, which were the spots were other than Old San Juan, I hang out for restaurants and fun.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
8  Thank carlosmelia

Reviewed April 17, 2014 via mobile

I can't express enough how glad and grateful I am that my friend and I stayed at this pearl of a hotel. From its location and gorgeous views to the incredibly friendly and helpful staff and generous owner, Gustavo, La Terraza immediately sparked our happy stay in Old San Juan. The three-story esthetically pleasing building has a gorgeous terrace with tables, lounge chairs, and a pool, overlooking Old San Juan and offering a pleasant ocean breeze at night. My friend and I ended our fruitful days with a bottle of wine and chocolate each evening on the terrace. The moonlight glow and the twinkling lights of the city added to our delightful experience.

Each morning, we had breakfast on the terrace, and the staff was always smiling and accommodating. I want to thank, in particular, Princess and Jose, for adding extra oomph to our stay. Princess is lively, witty, and personable, and very fun to talk with. She offered thoughtful and spot-on ideas of delicious locales to eat at and interesting places to visit. As per Princess' recommendation (and now, my own), definitely try El Jibarito for lunch or dinner, a local star of a dining experience. This no-frills restaurant serves up tasty and authentic Puertorican food, and is located only a few steps away from the hotel. Since it often gets packed, I highly suggest getting the meal to go and either enjoying it near the water at La Perla or on the hotel's splendid terrace. I also want to thank Jose (a funny, hyper cultured, and warm concierge) for his superb dining suggestions and beautiful stories about San Juan's history, arts and architecture. If you meet Jose, definitely ask him to show you around Santurce, a neighborhood he lives in and loves. Definitely dine at Jose Enrique restaurant when in Santurce. It was an orgasmic meal: the fish is fresh and the dishes are creative. Expect a long wait, though. This will be one of the best restaurants you will dine in while in San Juan. Finally, great big thanks to Gustavo, the hotel's owner. My friend and I enjoyed talking with him about travels, life in Europe and New York, and politics. On a human note, he was humble and thoughtful, and very generous. Thank you, all, for an exceptional stay!

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
5  Thank Viktoria9
Reviewed April 14, 2014

If you are considering a stay in Old San Juan, look no further than La Terraza. Housed in two old buildings, the hotel is charming and unique. The rooftop terrace with the infinity pool is amazing.

We stayed for two nights in room 224 (Reina Sofia). We booked a queen room through a third party booking site, so I did not expect to receive such a fantastic room. The room was spacious and unique with high ceilings, tile floors and shuttered windows in both the small sitting room and shower. The room was one of the new rooms in the new addition next door. The king size bed and pillows were very comfortable. Though small, the bathroom had a large tiled shower with a shuttered window with a view to the bay.

The room was a winner, but where La Terraza really excels is their service. Our flight was delayed so we did not arrive until after midnight, but we warmly and quickly greeted, checked in and shown to our room. A breakfast of fruit, meat, cheese and bread with juice, coffee and tea is served downstairs every morning. Everyone we encountered was friendly and helpful.

If I ever return to Puerto Rico, I would not hesitate to stay at La Terraza again.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank aashleyjc
Reviewed April 14, 2014

We spent one night here before a cruise out of San Juan and it was fabulous. The people were so nice and couldn't have been more helpful. The location was perfect, right in the middle of OSJ near both forts and plenty of great restaurants. They served us breakfast on the rooftop terrace and it was delicious. There is a plunge pool up on the terrace as well but we didn't get the chance to try it out. We had three rooms and all were well-decorated and comfortable. The bathrooms were amazing. The only slightly negative thing about the hotel was how you could hear everything going on in the hallway and the nearby rooms. We did talk to the gentleman at the front desk about that and he said they were working on ways to cut down the noise. They just opened the part of the hotel we stayed in and so they were working out a couple of kinks. I would definitely stay here again and would recommend it to anyone looking for a great, unique hotel in Old San Juan.

Room Tip: I would suggest not getting the rooms next to the elevator shaft as they were the noisiest. 126, 22...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Jenny0343
Reviewed April 13, 2014 via mobile

We really loved this place. The people who work there are very helpful and provide great service. The hotel is in a perfect location to visit all the major sites and main areas. The room is cozy and comfortable. I felt like I was at home. We will be back for sure. I highly recommend it.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Maricela44
Reviewed April 10, 2014

The staff provided excellent service and went out of their way to accommodate us. We were originally booked for a standard room in the original part of the hotel and they upgraded us to a to a beautiful 2 bedroom 2 bathroom full kitchen suite with tile floors & walls and with a draped canopy over the bed and tall ceilings with many windows. The room was decorated with nice pictures & sculptures and was also in original part of the hotel. They surprised us with a bottle of champagne when we arrived while we waited for our room. A continental breakfast is served with great coffee and is is included with your stay. Breakfast is served in a nice room or on the rooftop terrace. The staff gave us detailed information about the area and were very friendly. The hotel is centrally located to the historic sites.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 10, 2014

We spend two nights in Old San Juan, and couldn't have picked a better hotel. We called the hotel directly, even though booking sites didn't show anything available, and they were able to accommodate us at a very reasonable cost. They have full apartments, plus single rooms without kitchens, and each is unique. The rooftop pool deck is spectacular, something I would never have expected. The contnental breakfast was excellent, with fruit, pastries, cheese, and meats, all served to you by a delightful staff...and it includes espresso drinks made to order. LaTerraza was perfectly located, so we were able to walk everywhere in Old San Juan, and didn't need to rent a car. A lovely experience!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple