“Great get away!”

La Terraza de San Juan
Ranked #8 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Reviewed February 20, 2014

Nice location, great service, clean. We spent five days in a two bedroom apartment with full kitchen, washer and dryer. Breakfast was either brought to our room or served in a cousy breakfast area in the lobby . Complimentary fresh made coffee was offered at any time of the day.I will recommend this hotel without reservation. Enjoy El Viejo San Juan in this beautiful place!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Haydee N

Reviewed February 15, 2014

My friend and I stayed here two nights in January before a cruise. From the get go, Melissa was in contact with me over the phone checking on our arrival plans and getting our flight numbers to ensure that we got in on time. Upon arrival, there was some difficulty in finding our room key, but we were offered some cervezas for our wait. We stayed in room 2b which is two bedrooms with an outdoor courtyard/living room. Our main complaint with this room was the private spiral staircase descending into the room. This is the only way in/out and was very narrow and slippery to navigate with a large amount of luggage. Also, since part of the room was outside, mosquitoes and rain were a problem.

Breakfast in the mornings was AMAZING. My stomach is growling just recalling it. Fresh crusty breads, meats, cheeses, fruits, coffee, orange juice.... so delicious! The staff was also incredibly helpful by giving us tips on things to see. This hotel was within walking distance to everything. I HIGHLY recommend this hotel. If I'm in San Juan again, I will stay here.

Room Tip: Room 2b was very quiet, we never heard anything while we were there. However, this involves getting...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank jf158
Reviewed February 9, 2014

When the hotel we were going to stay at cancelled our reservations three days before our trip, I was worried that I wouldn't be able to find another hotel, or we'd end up in a dirty, budget nightmare of a place. Luckily, La Terraza had just expanded into the building next door to the original hotel and had a room available, Because of the recent expansion, our room wasn't ready for a while after the check in time, so the staff made it up to us with a complimentary bottle of champagne (good stuff, too) which we enjoyed sitting on the rooftop terrace while they finished our room. The room was definitely worth the wait; perfectly beautiful simplicity, high ceilings, open-air windows, gorgeous tiled floors, and tastefully decorated. The bed was very comfortable. The breakfast was delicious and not too heavy, and all of the staff members we encountered were friendly and genuinely cared that our stay was enjoyable. We will definitely stay here again when we return to San Juan.

1  Thank Christine C
Reviewed February 7, 2014

This was a great find for us and we will certainly be back. Our room with a kitchen was actually more of an apartment and would be great for a long stay. The breakfast was terrific and I went home addicted to their madeleines. The rooftop is very nice and will only be better after the remodel is complete. Very central and convenient location — most Old San Juan attractions within an easy walk. Very close to groceries, drugstores, restaurants etc.

Lastly, the staff, especially Devon and Franklin were extremely gracious, and a wealth of helpful information.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank goodie7415
Reviewed February 2, 2014

If you want a small hotel with a lot of charm, this is the place. The room we had was immaculate and beautiful. There is a great rooftop garden; the breakfasts were excellent; and, most of all, the staff was so accommodating. The manager and all of the reception staff were outstanding. The location is perfect for all the sites of interest and, nearby, there are some very good authentic, delicious, and reasonably priced restaurants.

1  Thank 36bay37
Reviewed January 31, 2014

This is an must for anyone staying in Old San Juan. The accommodations are beautiful. The location is perfect. The breakfast is delicious. The staff, Melissa and Franklin, are fantastic! They make you feel right at home. Plus, the view from the rooftop pool while sipping on a glass of wine cannot be missed! Only two tiny complaints: 1) Our room was right above the kitchen and it was pretty noisy beginning about 5 am, and 2) the building is open (which is beautiful), but again, it can be very noisy when other guests are coming back from the bars at 3 am. That being said, I would absolutely recommend this place to anyone and we will definitely be back!

Room Tip: Rooms 3a and 3b are exposed to a bit of noise.
Reviewed January 30, 2014

Short Review: fabulous accommodations, great location, & charming. Definitely stay here.

My experience: I arrived in SJ at 7am and had slept 2 hours the night before. I was exhausted and starving. I hailed a cab from the airport, gave him the hotel address, and got to the hotel in 20 minutes. Total cost was $30 after tip. Check in was a breeze and Devon made sure to get me to my room (early, at 8am! so nice.) and told me about breakfast. After putting my stuff down I went back downstairs to the dining area and realized just how hungry I was upon seeing the bowls of fresh fruit, meats and cheeses, fresh bread, and fresh OJ. Delicious! For breakfast-dessert I had a nutella sandwich and some coffee which woke me right back up. That's when I noticed just how beautiful my surroundings were....

The hotel is charming, unique, and every detail has been thought through. The pictures are accurate but don't quite tell the whole story. Every corner looks like it could be photographed! The hotel is a perfect combination of utility, elegance, quality, modern, and Caribbean-inspired Colonial style. All the tech (TVs, AC, kitchen appliances, washer/dryer, free wifi--accessible from every area including rooftop!) is modern and the rest is both practical and stylish. One of my favorite aspects was the wood shutter windows which allowed me to adjust the brightness and breeze amount. The weather was great most of the time so I had the windows fully open and loved the fresh air and beautiful view of the city.

The rooftop was nearly complete when I visited in Dec 2013. I have to say that I was overcome by the views, nature, and carefully designed rooftop experience. From the almost-wild growing plants to the pool to the patio furniture...I was in awe. It was like being on a perfect patio in the clouds with a 360-view of Old San Juan, the coast, and the sea. The pool was almost complete...I can't wait to go again and enjoy a margarita on the rooftop pool.

Old San Juan is spectacular. I love that place and can't wait to go back. Definitely where I want to retire! The best description is a Caribbean version of Charleston, SC.

Another reviewer mentioned a lot of noise from construction next door. I only noticed it when I walked by on the street (maybe they were getting close to being done). It looks like it'll be a really nice place to stay with a similar style. The construction crew even gave me a tour (ya, I'm nosy and curious)! Several of the rooms were nearly complete. Both hotels share the rooftop and from what I understand both will be managed by the same people. The difference between the two seems that where I stayed was more apartment-style whereas the newly renovated hotel will have individual rooms...which are humongous and some even have living rooms attached. Definitely want to visit with my BF instead of my mom next time!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family