“Wanted to Love It ...”

Ranked #12 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
Houston, Texas
“Wanted to Love It ...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2013

We stayed at this B&B for one night on our way back home after 8 days touring other parts of the Puerto Rico and Vieques. I was really looking forward to it based on the reviews, and feel bummed to even write this, but it didn't live up to our expectations. In short, we were glad we were only there for one night.

Pros:

The location of this property is terrific - wonderfully easy to get around Old San Juan and easy to find. Feels safe and secure (you are given a gate code).

The proprieters of the B&B were extremely helpful, almost to a fault. While they spent a tremendous amount of time acquainting us with our environs and giving recommendations on places to eat and things to see, it was almost information overload and got to the point where we were politely looking at our watches, trying to subtly get out of there. The local guide that they e-mail you before arrival, however, is terrific.

Cons:

We stayed in a smaller one bedroom unit that can be part of a larger apartment (which we did not see). There is a common foyer that had very thin walls, so you could hear anyone outside of our door. This would have been annoying had we been there for more than one night.

While the room was nicely furnished, the linens felt somewhat cheap, and there were no windows (despite lovely tall ceilings - the history of the building is pretty neat).

The bathroom seemed clean, but just barely. The bathroom mat looked like it had had better days, and overall, the bathroom seemed to need a deep clean, rather than a cursory once-over between guests. Worst of all, we couldn't get any hot water during our stay, only barely lukewarm showers.

Breakfast was just ok - great coffee, but we didn't think the spread was anything special to write home about.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Emily R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
West Jordan, Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

I booked this room prior to a cruise. We stayed three days and found the room clean quiet and peaceful. I really enjoyed the way the room was decorated it was very comfortable. It's located in Old San Juan which let us explore on foot the entire area. The morning breakfast was good I enjoyed everything about it. The owner was very cheerful and willing to assist you with your needs. When I return to San Juan I will stay at the La Terraza it is that nice. Off all the places I have stayed this is one of the best if not thee best. If your looking for a great place to stay in San Juan this is it.

Room Tip: Doesn't matter which room I booked the double room as the others were sold out. It cost more but...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013

Perfect place to stay in Old San Juan! Walking distance (minutes) to the main strip of restaurants and stores in Old San Juan! Devon and Joe were extremely accommodating to our needs of staying one night (pre-cruise) for our family of 4. The hotel was very beautiful and clean. The balcony was great for looking out into the street. The roof-top terrace was great for taking pictures of Old San Juan. When we booked our reservation, Devon sent me an email with a concierge book attached with great ideas on places to visit and eat at during our stay. The continental breakfast served in our room was fantastic and quite delicious! Next time, we will definitely stay longer than one night!!!!!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2013

Let me just start out by saying, that this, small charming hotel, is the warmest, most quiet hotel I have ever stayed. I have traveled to many places throughout the world, and stayed at some nice hotels, but this one, is just like being at home, but You are thousands of miles away. It's hard to pinpoint exactly why that is, but let me say it begins, by the friendly staff, fom Joe, Devon, as well as the rest of the staff. When You enter the hotel, it's subtle colors, make You feel right at ease. It has such an overwhelming clean quality to it, that it stands out above all other hotels in Old San Juan. This was my second time being in Puerto Rico, and I stayed at the El Convento, as well as the El Conquistador in Fagardo. While they were nice hotels, La Terrraza stands out well above them. From the freshly made breakfast, delivered to Your room daily, to the nightly pleasure of a bottle of wine on the Terrace, this is the best of the best. When Your looking for a hotel to stay, while in Old San Juan, do Your research, and You'll find out why so many people stay here, when they return. It is a convenient walk to anywhere in Old San Juan.....P.S. I stayed here for 10 days in early January, and am just finding the time to right this review. The good thing to know, is I try to get away every 3-4 months from work, for a relaxing weekend. I will be back in Old San Juan, staying at La Terraza in May.......Can't Wait!!!!!!

Room Tip: I stayed in a one bedroom, with no kitchen, and it was wonderful.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Places2Travel
Quebradillas, Puerto Rico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for a weekend get away and couldn't have been more pleased. We have had multiple trips to Old San Juan and have frequently stayed at El Convento and have also stayed at Da House. Without question, this was our favorite hotel among the three! The hotel is a small boutique place that does not have the view or history of El Convento (but you can go walk through there and see it anyway during your trip without needing to stay there). There is morning breakfast and the breakfast is fabulous. For example if you need "extra" coffee or milk...they give it, free, quickly, no questions asked. The hotel itself is well kept up and beautiful and there is a gorgeous roof top terrace where you are welcome to take your own food or wine to. My only complaint if any would be that I did hear people in the room beside us a couple times but we just turned on a sleep machine and put ear plugs in and continued sleeping. However...there is no questions that the walls / doors could be a bit more sound proof. With that being said...this is the quietest hotel I've stayed at in Old San Juan! No "party" outside such as in some of the rooms in El Convento and in ALL of the rooms at Da House. There are satellite TV's and controllable AC in all the rooms along with at least a small refrigerator. We stayed in their smallest most affordable room and even that was great! I have no complaints. I wasn't there to cook so I didn't feel I needed the big kitchen or big space. Amazing experience and the people who work at the hotel couldn't have been nicer or more accommodating. Definitely will return and definitely will recommend to others.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank deborahcorinne
Marshall, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

if staying in Old San Juan, there is no better place to stay than La Terraza. It is located idealy and makes walking Old San Juan in it's entirity. Joe Uribe and his wife do an excellent job of making you feel at home and there apartments are spacious and neat. The roof top deck is very enjoyable and a great place to start the morning off with a cup of coffee or what ever. the breakfast brought to the is delightful and not lacking in quantity. We had a two bedroom/two bath unit with sitting room and kitchen. of the 4 places we stayed in Puerto Rico, La Terraza was the best.

Room Tip: we were in room 6 on the third floor. again it was spaceious, neat and quiet
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Andover, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013

We were only able to stay at La Terraza for two short nights but we will definitely go back and stay longer to fully appreciate and enjoy the hotel's civilized charm and ammenities. Beautifully decorated, spacious apartments, a big roof top deck for enjoying early coffee and cocktails, an incredible breakfast with killer coffee (always important). The hosts do everything possible to make your stay warm, easy.
Walk out the door into Old San Juan, an Old World gem. This is a great place to enjoy the buzz of a city with a serene place to escape.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family