“Your Home Away From Home in San Juan”

La Terraza de San Juan
Ranked #11 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
Boston, Massachusetts
“Your Home Away From Home in San Juan”
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Perfect hotel for families or couples traveling together. This trip was a three night pre-cruise stay for two couples. We stayed in the two bedroom apartment, number 6.

The hotel is on a quiet street in the middle of Old San Juan, perfect for exploring the old city without a car. Parking in the old city looked difficult and I would not recommend it. Getting from the airport is easy via cab and only $20 to $30 depending on the number of bags. It's a small hotel, so be prepared with the address as the driver may not know it by name. It was also about the same cab fare to get to the Pan American cruise pier (Celebrity and Royal Caribbean departures).

Apartment six has a living room, fully appointed kitchen, two bedrooms and two bathrooms. Each bedroom had a queen bed and a separate bathroom attached with showers. There was laundry and a dishwasher in the apartment. For those continuing on with their vacation, pack some detergent pods and wash you cloths before you leave. You'll have a few days less cloths to lug.

The rooftop deck was our favorite and we spent many hours drinking wine and watching the sunset over the city. A beautiful breakfast was delivered every morning and included fresh fruit salad, fresh bread, cheese, deli meats, cookies, juice and coffee. The staff couldn't be friendlier or more helpful with recommendations. We don't speak Spanish and they called cabs for us when we wanted to venture out of the old city.

If you're traveling with friends or family and considering booking a couple rooms at a hotel, definitely consider La Terraza. It was about the same as two rooms at the Marriott but so much more space and better service. A better value overall.

We've traveled and stayed at all levels of accommodations and this hotel was perfect for us. It was like staying at a friends apartment. If you're the type who expects a sterile hotel feel, this may not be for you. While we were there the hot water was an issue. Seemed the solar heater couldn't keep up. The air conditioning worked, but some rooms were frigid while others couldn't get cool enough. We rolled with it and had a great time.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed December 10, 2012

Arrived after 8pm and Joe came out to the street to greet us and bring in luggage. 3 of us single women had plenty of space to ourselves at La Terraza. Great breakfast every morning: fresh breads, fruit, meat, cheese, brownies and coffee. With the advice of Joe & Devon, we saw much of Old San Juan and rented a car one day to get to El Junque & the bioluminescent bay. Loved the room furnishings, floor tiles,decor and the terrace. Just one of the best places I've ever stayed. Wish we could have stayed longer than 3 days. Maybe some day....

Room Tip: We stayed in room 3A, one flight up. Lovely balcony facing the main street, but not noisy.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed December 3, 2012

Let me start by saying that I am a traveler and have stayed at a vast range of accommodations, from cheap dormitories to luxury hotels, all around the world. I have worked for high-end, boutique, and historic hotel groups with multi-million dollar furnishings and exemplar service. I say this to elucidate that I have some knowledge of the hotel world.

La Terraza is, to the best of my knowledge, the most luxurious hotel in Old San Juan, and possibly in Puerto Rico. That said, if you need the amenities of a large hotel - swim up bar, 24 hour on-site room service, gym, etc. - best you stay at a chain hotel.

There are two main reasons I consider La Terraza to be the highest quality around: the manager and the quality of the rooms. Let's start with the rooms:

The rooms are huge by most hotel standards. I don't know the square footage, but my two-bedroom, two-bath suite with full kitchen, living room, and dual juliet balconies was enormous. If you've stayed at El Convento, perhaps La Terraza's only competition, you know this is not what you get there. They really are two different types of accommodation, but La Terraza is the hands down the place I’d stay. I love El Convento, but if you prefer an intimate setting with better aesthetics and vastly superior room amenities, pick La Terraza.

The kitchen is particularly impressive with very new, modern appliances such as stainless stove, dishwasher, and refrigerator, a large, marble island, tiled floors (throughout), and lovely dark-wood cabinets. It comes supplied with utensils, a toaster oven, a set of cooking knives, bar stools for eating around the kitchen-island, and even those little things most places ignore like salt and pepper, paper towels, and napkins.

The living room is attached, and I was surprised at the quality and size of the television. I only watched about an hour of a Thanksgiving football game (why would you watch TV in Old San Juan!?!), but while most hotels offer mid-to-low grade flat-screens these days, this was a really beautiful picture with surround speakers, if that's your thing.

One thing that really brings La Terraza into the "luxury" category (aside from service, to follow) is the quality of its decor. The owner has brilliantly chosen exquisite little pieces to make the space feel like home, or maybe better. Some of the pieces look to be from Southeast Asia, while many are surely from Puerto Rico and other parts of Latin America. On my beautiful wooden coffee table there was a little hand-carved book-rest that held an open Buddhist teachings book. Little touches like these make you feel comfortable and aware you're not in a chain… not that there’s anything wrong with that!

Next, the service:

The superlative nature of the service is primarily due to the manager. Joe speaks perfect American, having grown up there, as well as perfect Puerto Rican (as far as I can tell) due to his long residence there and his Latin American parents. He is incredibly personable, a bona fide character of Old San Juan, and when he knocks on your door in the morning with coffee, breads, butter and jams, deli meats, cheese, fresh fruit, and even homemade tortilla on my last day, you know it’s going to be a great day.

Joe arranged taxis, restaurant reservations, a tour, and even a flight for me. He and his staff put together a great couple of pamphlets for your coffee table detailing their recommendations for restaurants and tours. It’s touches like that you don’t get in big hotels.

Staying at La Terraza, not only are you in a quiet, untouristed area that’s still an easy walk to everything, you’re more a resident of Old San Juan than a visitor. The familial yet professional staff and the warm ambience of the rooms lend to this. The owner was kind enough to show me the renovations they are doing next door to double their size, and it will soon add a rooftop pool and hot tub to their existing, peaceful terrace.

I’m telling my friends and family it’s a no-brainer to stay at La Terraza when they visit. Please don’t tell too many people and ruin my ability to book there!

Room Tip: Just ask when you book. They have one of the few elevators in Old San Juan, so access is not an issu...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank erikthebold
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed November 28, 2012

All I can do is reiterate all that has been said about La Terraza and say that is all true. The location is perfect; walking distance to everything in Old San Juan but far enough away from the noise and congestion. You feel like you are visiting the city and are not in the "tourist " commercial area of town.
Breakfast brought to your apartment every morning was such a luxury. It made you want to just dawdle away the morning and relax but there was so much to see and do in Puerto Rico that you felt like you had to be out and about or you would miss something. I was only there for a 5 days in November so I felt I didn't have time to dawdle.
I would recommend the Segway tour of Old San Juan. I also discovered a new favourite ice cream flavour, coconut. It has pieces of coconut in the ice cream. There are street vendors who sell the ice cream but the best thing is to go to the ice cream shop beside Pier 2. There you can order one scoop coconut and one scoop chocolate.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank vquon
Thomasville
Reviewed November 25, 2012

My son and I recently stayed at La Terraza for 5 nights while on a fishing trip. The location was perfect for walking
to all attractions in Old San Juan. Our unit, #5, was spacious and almost new in every respect.
The rooftop was a wonderful place to look over the city at dusk with a glass of wine. Joe, the manager was very helpful. I would recommend La Terraza to anyone visiting Old San Juan.

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed November 19, 2012

We recently stayed at La Terraza for 3 nights. It was our first visit to San Juan. We were all very impressed with the location, security, size and cleanliness along with the hospitality of management. The beds were very comfortable along with zoned air. It was everything and more than we expected.I would highly recommend this hotel to my friends and family. Ruth/Atlanta GA

Beaufort, NC
Reviewed October 30, 2012

We stayed here in March on our way back from Vieques. It is a great choice if you want to be in the middle of Old Town where you can walk to all the attractions and restaurants. The breakfast tray had plenty of fresh fruit and croissants, etc. and the owner/manager Joe was very helpful with suggestions about what to see and where to eat. Beds were comfortable. We stayed in a 2 bedroom unit that had a sleeper couch so it accommodated 4 adults and 2 children without any problem. Nice rooftop terrace is a bonus. Highly recommended, and we will definitely return whenever in San Juan.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family