“Very "down home," No Glitz, A Real, Long-Time, Local Diner”

Cafe Manolin Old San Juan
Ranked #22 of 1,060 Restaurants in San Juan
Cuisines: Caribbean
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed March 5, 2014

This place feels like a lot of great neighborhood diners in Chicago feel. The decor hasn't changed since some time in the 60's, the front 3/4's is taken up with horseshoe-shaped counters. The coffee is served in styrofoam cups, and nothing is fancy. Our family loved it. The food is unpretentious (we had breakfast, so didn't sample the mofongo). Halfway through our meal the owner's teenage daughter came in and gave him a big hug over the counter, which started a conversation in which I introduced him to my teenage daughter. We all had a great time getting to know each other a bit and sharing our hopes and dreams for the next generation. Does it get better than that? This meal, in my mind is the ideal bookend to our equally enjoyable, but incredibly pricier experience at Marmalade.

Reviewed March 4, 2014 via mobile

This was my second time to have mofongo while in pr, and the first place I tried was much better than here. Service was decent but never got a drink refill. Prices pretty decent but there was nothing that really made me want to go back.

Reviewed February 28, 2014

While in San Juan we wanted to try Mofongo so we asked a local for her suggestion of a place to get it for lunch and she recommended Manolin. The restaurant isn't fancy but the food was delicious. We sat at the lunch counter, had a cold beer and 2 plates of Mofongo, one chicken and one shrimp. They were both good but we LOVED the chicken. It was served with white rice, beans and tostones. The portions are big. They had a chimichuri sauce that I topped my rice with that was yummy too. Good cakes and flan for dessert.

My only complaint was that the restaurant was extremely cold. I felt as though I was in an icebox, bring a sweater.

Reviewed February 26, 2014

The best for breakfast and for lunch...we liked it so much we went back several times. The best mufonga and sweet plantain. Always busy and crowed, but great service and fast turnover. Pristine and clean, but the AC is up way too high and so FREEZING, so bring sweater or jacket...I kid yo not. I literally pulled up the 2nd layer on my flowing tank top and jerry rigged a shawl to cover my arms.

Reviewed February 25, 2014

This was a great meal. It is a locals spot with the best mafungo on the island. It does get crowded at the lunch hour, but the line moves quickly. It is a hole in the wall on a side street, and worth the search!

1  Thank Allis G